I think “The Magic” is mostly gone for me…

eliza61nyc

Like I said, you can LIKE a bad attraction. That doesn't make it good. That UoE was a 'good' attraction isn't subjective. It was awful.
Uhm no, . That isn't how it works 😃 unless of course one is the inventor of the thing.
To start with, and this is a serious question who determines the quality of a ride? And what parameters are used?

Okay what was the topic?

MickeyLuv'r

Uhm no, . That isn't how it works 😃 unless of course one is the inventor of the thing.
To start with, and this is a serious question who determines the quality of a ride? And what parameters are used?

Okay what was the topic?
One factor might be how closely an animatronic meant to look like a specific person/actor actually resembles the real person. While still an opinion, we might come to a consensus opinion on the matter.

Like we might all agree, the Ellen animatronic was not an accurate likeness, or that the Jack Sparrow ones are an accurate representation of Johnny Depp.
Or...maybe that they were at the time the ride was made.

Or maybe in the case of HoP that they were an accurate representation (or not) of each president during the time they were in office.

The animatronics of UoE were not the most accurate animatronics WDW has created or perhaps the most sophisticated.

We might come a consensus opinion regarding specific aspects of any ride, or the ride as a whole.

MagicRat

IMG_0878.jpeg

I am the law!

Centauri Space Station

There are 3 nostalgic attractions (?) left for right now. SSE, LWTL, and JIIF. They are just sitting there right now with no updates and lack of interest it seems from management. Of course, maybe that is good. Just had UOE go to a complete overhaul. I see wait time for rollercoasters in WDW, but I don't see wait times for the 3 listed above (maybe at Christmas and New Year there is). For me Studios and Epcot are just turning into an IP land and an extension of Magic Kingdom. JMO
American adventure? Impressions de france in its limited showings too. Plus the entertainment in the countries and Seabase, Awesome planet, Canada far and wide fit classic

graphite1326

I recently returned from a trip to the parks last weekend and, well, the title says it all. It’s still a fun place to go, don’t get me wrong, but that feeling is kind of gone now. The “Disney Difference” is only found in a few attractions still left over from what seems to now be a bygone era. Strangely enough I did find great enjoyment with the CircleVision films in World Showcase which we don’t always do.

Moving on though attractions like Dinosaur, Expedition Everest, and Test Track seem to be in terrible shape. Dinosaur has a ton of busted AAs, timing on the lighting is completely off in some areas, and what used to be a deafening roar from the photo Carnotaurus has been severely muted. We were held for far too long at both track switches on Everest and our car crawled through the mountainous handling test(?) on Test Track. I don’t know what’s causing these issues.

Then, the realization that these parks are just simply changing from what I used to know. The absence of The Great Movie Ride and Universe of Energy hit once again while gazing at Splash Mountain undergoing construction and seeing how the tree at the top being removed throws off the entire forced perspective. There’s also the idea that Dinoland will be leaving for Moana and Zootopia which could likely be why Dinosaur has been allowed to get to the shape it’s currently in. As a man that loved Dinosaurs as a child and still does to this very day, this is going to hurt after having already lost UoE. Rise of the Resistance and the Millenium Falcon are also in rough shape concerning their animatronics which also brings me to my next point.

The newer rides that have opened the past few years, while fun and impressive, don’t feel “Disney.” The only major ride that does imo is Flight of Passage. Guardians really feels like Disney trying to be Universal and even with Rise being as technically impressive as it is I think it could fall into that camp as well a bit. The Falcon remains a fun video game like ride but you really need to be a pilot to have the most fun with it (right pilot for hyperspace). Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway is a fun ride that should’ve been an addition and not a replacement. Disneyland wins on that case. Tron is fun and the inside portion is cool but if I had the choice of what to bring from Shanghai it would’ve definitely been Pirates. I hope Tiana is worthy of what it’s replacing. I really, really do.

To end this little rant I will give a few positives. I’ve heard the animatronics had some work done in the American Adventure and it definitely shows. I don’t know if I missed It’s a Small World getting a refurb but it looks better than I’ve seen in a LONG time. The lighting package on Spaceship Earth is fantastic. The new Jungle Cruise which I was finally able to see was a much better update than the auction scene in Pirates and I had possibly one of the top Skippers EVER. She was a riot 🤣

I know Disney can still deliver but it seems for the most part they just refuse to make the right decisions these days. I don’t know, maybe I’m just trying to chase something that was never there in the first place. Maybe “The Magic” is just being a kid and now that I’m almost 30 I’ll never be able to replicate it with a place like Disney. The closest I’ve felt to that feeling of amazement in recent years was a trip to Glacier National Park in Montana with my father.

These thoughts have been buzzing around my head the last few days and I just wanted to put them out there and possibly discuss them further. I’m going to get some sleep now since I’m writing this pretty late lol.
yep I got to agree with you on everything you wrote. I remember our first trip and how impressed I was with the animatronics. I was in awe with SE, U of E, and TGMR, ith the latter being my favorite. Two of these are now gone. The first time I rode RotR all I could think of is this is a ride that should be in Universal. Along with the projection rides they are now using. Yes for me the magic has gone. Still fun but just not it used to be.

Walt Disney1955

I think this is a natural thing. Modern Disney is not Walt Disney himself. No one has been since. Walt's last attraction he had his fingertips on was the Haunted Mansion, which opened in 1969 in Disneyland. Country Bear Jamboree he would have seen a very rough version of the blue print, but that's it. So basically what you are seeing are rides with a lot of charm, shows with a lot of charm and it is no coincidence that Walt himself was involved in these projects before his death. No one has had his creativity since. He's been dead for 57 years and his legacy in the parks still live on. There is a reason why the best rides list are always Pirates, Haunted Mansion and when it was open Splash Mountain. No, Walt did not create Splash Mountain, but the ride is inspired by Song of the South, which created some famous music.

It is noticeable that there isn't that creativity in Disney anymore. They are still relying on the old man decades later, even if they hate to admit this.

I was watching an old episode of "Wonderful World of Color" on Disney+ the other day. It had to be an episode from 1966 because Walt was talking about Small World and Mr. Lincoln getting added to Disneyland from the World's Fair. It was an episode that showed so much promise and imagine how unique a show like that would have been. Then he died a few months later. Disney has piggybacked things from his brain, but yes it isn't the same so I get that. A lot of people get that. Today I am not seeing that same sort of optimism. Look on this thread, I don't know if there are many that think the next 5-10 years of Disney will be better. Most think it will get worse. In 1966 you wouldn't have thought that, it would have been exciting to see what the future had in store.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom