I thin NOW he lost it...

MKCustodial

Original Poster
Look what I just read at ANIMATED MOVIES (http://www.Animated-Movies.com):

Michael Eisner reportedly wants to remake some Disney classics
shot-for-shot in computer animation in order to extend the lives of the
studio's older characters. PINOCCHIO would be first...

He HAS GOT to be mental, don't you think? This is probably the most lame idea I have ever heard in my life! This is even worse than not producing new traditionally animated features, this is ERASING the companies past!

foxfire

I don't think it's just Eisner, I'm sure the BoD has something to do with it too.

I won't go into all of it here, but as I said in an earlier post, Eisner did some positive things for WDW in the 80's & early 90's. MGM, Pleasure Island, etc.

Then of course Disney went into the slump it's in now. Who knows why Eisner wants to do this? Probably the same reason they're doing Lion King 1 1/2. It all comes down to $, and if they're not careful, they're going to run this company to the ground.

And why doesn't Roy say anything...

MicBat

Yikes... that's just... bad... With an exception of the pixar films, I'm not a huge fan of CGI animation.. I prefer the traditional animation.

trekkie

They have trouble coming up with original ideas, so they re-make their films. Doesn't matter if they're in CGI or not ... this does not help WDA. It only hurts their rep; a rep that has already been hurt by cheap sequels.

It also hurts the rep of WDP (Just when, for the first time in nearly a decade, things were starting to look up for them, with POTC, HOLES, BROTHER BEAR, GHOSTS OF THE ABYSS, TUCK EVERLASTING, & the upcoming DAVY CROCKETT), which, although improving, has a ways to go as long as garbage like IG II, GOTG II & animated sequels are released.

Disney doesn't need to make 3-D versions of PP or Pinnochio. They need to start adapting other stories again! This is a sure-fire winner for them; and it won't wreak of desperation

careship

My problem with all movies lately, is that nobody has a good idea anymore. Very few movies are brainchilds. They are remakes. Everything. Nemo, new concept as far as I know and a fabulous film. Brother Bear looks very good. I am not sure how original it may be. Look at alot of it though.....Hercules, loved it, but original? No. Ocean's Eleven. remake. Too many sequels, remakes, things taken from history etc. I want an honest to goodness movie that is original. Yet, good!!! It just seems the world is losing it's imagination and creativity...and I for one want it back. That is why, for the most part, I like Disney. Alot of new things are new. Monsters Inc. Toy Story, Nemo, Bugs Life. Great creativity. Holes which was taken from a fabulous book, was a good movie, but something was lost between the book and the movie. The greatest non-animated, non-CGI flick to come out of Disney in the last few years, IMO, was The Rookie. What a great film. OK, enough blabbering about nothing. I am sure none of this makes sense. I love movies, it's just hard for me to express.

trekkie

Technically, TOY STORY, TOY STORY II, BUG'S LIFE, MONSTER'S INC, and FINDING NEMO aren't Disney, but Pixar. Actually, not even technically. I mean: if Disney were to team up with, say, Warner Bros animation, I wouldn't consider all future Looney Tunes films to be Disney.
As for original vs recycled, I dunno. It could go hand in hand. Recycled stories, if animated well, can be quite spectacular in film. The majority of earlier Disney animated features are based on classic stories. And those are all animated superbly. The same could be said for HERCULES, BEAUTY & THE BEAST, etc. Even films that are half and half (Half original & half based on something else), such as LK, POCAHONTAS & TP, are all done wonderfully. POCAHONTAS is, IMO, Disney's most beautifully animated film, and one of their greatest masterpieces.
Original movies, though ... I somewhat agree with you. All of these sequels ... can get pretty tiresome. They are already planning an OCEAN'S 11 sequel (Called, from what I heard, OCEAN'S 12) and the continuation of BRIDGET JONES'S DIARY begins shooting in the Fall.
Not to say I'm not looking forward to them, though :)

Oh, and did you hear that Tim Burton is planning to shoot a re-make of WILLY WONKA & THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY? That'll be interesting...

JLW11Hi

I think a campaign should be started to boycott ALL unneeded sequels and remakes. I mean, they are fun once and a while if done right (like Toy Story 2). But geeze Louise.

careship

I pray that don't ruin Willy WOnka. That is a classic that is so wonderful. The books are great as well. Dahl stories have such a fun whimsy about them, most of them. DIsney/Pixar, I still consider to be Disney movies. I don't know much about them I guess. I don't know where the story ideas came from. All I know is what I watch for the most part. Pocahontas was a beautiful movie, but it wasn't as appealing to as wide an audience as some. (IMO) When you have boys, it's hard to find great movies that aren't too girlie (for lack of a better word) or too violent. I found Lion King violent. WOnderful movie, kids loved it. I understand it was more realistic, but sometimes, a non-violent movie is good. The Rookie, not animated yet it was a fabulous Disney flick. No violence, no swearing, good story. I look at things from a boys view I guess. Princess DIaries, fabulous movie, but yet my boys watched it once. Not one they'll own. Would 2 hockey playing boys admit they like that movie? :lol: Mighty Ducks were decent movies for boys. Air Bud, the first one was great for boys, but the sequels are all lame. Same with ANgels in the Outfield. Animation is my favortie, but it was very hard when my kids were little when there were such violent scenes.

NowInc

Originally posted by MKCustodial
Look what I just read at ANIMATED MOVIES (http://www.Animated-Movies.com):

Michael Eisner reportedly wants to remake some Disney classics
shot-for-shot in computer animation in order to extend the lives of the
studio's older characters. PINOCCHIO would be first...

He HAS GOT to be mental, don't you think? This is probably the most lame idea I have ever heard in my life! This is even worse than not producing new traditionally animated features, this is ERASING the companies past!

I'll believe it when I see it. They dont really have the financial garuntee that this idea would be worth the time for them....trust me...its not bout extending the life of the older characters..its about the all mighty dollar. Computer animation ISNT cheap (TRUST me)

careship

I think I would have a heart attack if Marilyn Manson starred in it. I know I would stick with my old VHS and never see the remake. I like the Old Stuff anyways. It was fun to watch My Fair Lady with the boys, they had no clue what a movie intermission was. WHat has this world come to????:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom