I seemed to remember a scene in Spaceship Earth different. Was it?

draybook

One thread on the SSE Rome scene missing it's smokey scent, another on the broken Phoenician boats. Apparently it's business as usual at WDW. :mad:

Disney is such a hypocritical company. You always hear about their -retentive obsession with everything being up to "Disney standards" and putting their best foot forward at all times. So when I constantly read threads about broken Yetis, broken Phoenicians and missing special effects I just have to laugh.

My wife toured one of the Disney Cruise Line ships (she's a travel agent), and couldn't photograph an area because it had a wet floor sign in it. The tour leader said it wasn't "Disney ready". Give me a break. The Imagination pavilion hasn't been "Disney ready" since 1998 and none of the brass seem to care. UOE and TT are almost comically outdated at this point, and again, no one cares. And that's just EPCOT!

Sounds almost as hypocritical as those who sit on the forum and speak ill of TDO yet hand over their money while going to the parks.

montyz81

The boats were working properly about 2 weeks ago.

Yes they were. I made a mental note that I had thought I had not seen that scene before. I chocked it up to forgetfulness even though have been on this ride like 20 or 30 times. It must have been the boats moving that I noticed as different.

scoobygirl39541

While we're on the topic, what happened to the little chariot image that would run out then into the background? I don't remember what scene it was, but it was an electric effect not an AA. I don't recall seeing it for years! :shrug:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
While we're on the topic, what happened to the little chariot image that would run out then into the background? I don't remember what scene it was, but it was an electric effect not an AA. I don't recall seeing it for years! :shrug:
It was removed during the last major refurb.

LivinwtheLand

One thread on the SSE Rome scene missing it's smokey scent, another on the broken Phoenician boats. Apparently it's business as usual at WDW. :mad:

Disney is such a hypocritical company. You always hear about their -retentive obsession with everything being up to "Disney standards" and putting their best foot forward at all times. So when I constantly read threads about broken Yetis, broken Phoenicians and missing special effects I just have to laugh.

My wife toured one of the Disney Cruise Line ships (she's a travel agent), and couldn't photograph an area because it had a wet floor sign in it. The tour leader said it wasn't "Disney ready". Give me a break. The Imagination pavilion hasn't been "Disney ready" since 1998 and none of the brass seem to care. UOE and TT are almost comically outdated at this point, and again, no one cares. And that's just EPCOT!

As I posted in another thread recently...The Phoenicians boats are floating along just perfectly as of yesterday, when I road the ride. Additionally, although the smell of Rome burning is no longer there, it will remain in the memory of those that experienced it. I hope it returns, but does its absence ruin the ride? Negative.

musketeer

Original Poster
As I posted in another thread recently...The Phoenicians boats are floating along just perfectly as of yesterday, when I road the ride. Additionally, although the smell of Rome burning is no longer there, it will remain in the memory of those that experienced it. I hope it returns, but does its absence ruin the ride? Negative.

You know, I actually do think it does ruin the ride, maybe not entirely, but some. It's one of those ways of being different to appealing to different senses. Let's face it, a lot of people fell in love with Horizons partly because of the oranges.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

There used to be mist under the boats as well but that hasn't worked in years. :(

I would imagine that effect was spilling over into other scenes.

Before it is made out like this effect has sat broken for months, it was working between January 7 and 16, 2012.

I noticed that things in Disney tend to randomly work and break on theyr own.

You know, I actually do think it does ruin the ride, maybe not entirely, but some. It's one of those ways of being different to appealing to different senses. Let's face it, a lot of people fell in love with Horizons partly because of the oranges.

It's not Epcot without the smellovishion, the worse is when the smell doesn't work on soarin.

The Empress Lilly

EPCOT Center understood the importance of smell to evoke emotion.

Oranges on Horizons (oh God!), burning Rome on SSE, volcano in Energy. Possibly some more too.

They added so much to the show! Added so much to the emotional connection with the rides. It is part of why we are all still talking with such love and devotion about EPCOT 1.0. :eek:

DarthGrady

Sounds almost as hypocritical as those who sit on the forum and speak ill of TDO yet hand over their money while going to the parks.

Disney espousing a notion that their products should always be "show ready", and then failing to address many long existing issues is hypocrisy.

Complaining about Disney and still going to the parks might make me a gullible consumer, but not a hypocrite. I never said that I was going to stop going to Disney parks due to their apparent refusal to follow their own beliefs.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

...you've got to be joking.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls, you are looking at the vision of fun that killed the good old Epcot Center. See back in the day Walt Disney wanted his guests to learn and have fun all at the same time in his parks, in the early 21 st century many brains of the United Stated gained a sweet tooth. Now learning is viewed as spinach for the brain. Today learning and fun are like oil and water, the meaning of fun is pointlessly getting an adrenalin rush chacing TV characters and celebrities. Thank you and goodnight, stay tuned for " if you woke up the morning remembering last night you must have not had any fun", and after that catch "did Walt Disney really exist or was he a made up character with a made up dream", it's a heartwarming story on how no one cared about talent, creativity and dreams coming true so they decided to cater to the adrenalin tv character seeking tourists and clean out they're wallets. Results mostly effected Epcot. Thank you and goodnight.

musketeer

Original Poster
Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls, you are looking at the vision of fun that killed the good old Epcot Center. See back in the day Walt Disney wanted his guests to learn and have fun all at the same time in his parks, in the early 21 st century many brains of the United Stated gained a sweet tooth. Now learning is viewed as spinach for the brain. Today learning and fun are like oil and water, the meaning of fun is pointlessly getting an adrenalin rush chacing TV characters and celebrities. Thank you and goodnight, stay tuned for " if you woke up the morning remembering last night you must have not had any fun", and after that catch "did Walt Disney really exist or was he a made up character with a made up dream", it's a heartwarming story on how no one cared about talent, creativity and dreams coming true so they decided to cater to the adrenalin tv character seeking tourists and clean out they're wallets. Results mostly effected Epcot. Thank you and goodnight.

Contrary to what people may think they remember, the Epcot of the good ol' times wasn't a college degree. It was interesting and all, but let's be honest, to say it was completely educational and today is not educational at all is a bit of a stretch. If you were to go to epcot right now today, Spaceship Earth is an interesting history lesson. The Universe of Energy is a great way of teaching different forms of energy. Mission Space has interesting exhibits. Test Track gives a sample of how cars are tested. There is an entire aquarium with all kinds of great stuff to see and read about. The Land has a movie that gives a good example of conservation. The boat ride is mostly purely educational. The only one that I think doesn't really give any educational value is Imagination...but really, the ride in its original form didn't either. Don't get me wrong, the original ride really was orders of magnitude better, but that doesn't mean it was more educational.

I'd get into the world showcase, but it hasn't really changed much since the park opened. Which of course the message boards would say is a bad thing.

Seriously, the place can't win. Don't change things and get criticized. Change things and get criticized.

ScorpionX

When I went in late August, that scent was still there. :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom