I:RoE globe was down

Phonedave

Original Poster
Last Sunday (June 22) the Illuminations globe was non-functioning. There were a few sporadic bursts of LED action and then nothing - it remained dark the entire show. (spinning, opening, and fire all worked, just no LEDs).

I looked, but don't see any other threads on the subject - anybody know what happened?

-dave

ToTBellHop

Last Sunday (June 22) the Illuminations globe was non-functioning. There were a few sporadic bursts of LED action and then nothing - it remained dark the entire show. (spinning, opening, and fire all worked, just no LEDs).

I looked, but don't see any other threads on the subject - anybody know what happened?

-dave
Is there still no Inferno Barge, too? That'd be a pretty lame show...

wilkeliza

-dave

Haven't heard anything but also know on the 20th it has serious issues. My friends and I who are very familiar with the show were joking that Russia just wasn't allowed on the globe any more because the whole night the Russia part of the globe was black.

stuart

I was there that night, posted about it in another thread. The screeb was scrambled before the show and half expected it to be dark during the show.

Ive seen it a few times since and it has been working fine.

Phonedave

Original Poster
Is there still no Inferno Barge, too? That'd be a pretty lame show...

As others said, the inferno barge was working. Still, it was a very lame show. The whole middle portion of the show was basicly music and fountains.

I wonder what excatly went down.

-dave

Father Robinson

As others said, the inferno barge was working. Still, it was a very lame show. The whole middle portion of the show was basicly music and fountains.

I wonder what excatly went down.

-dave
We saw the same thing happen in 2008. Globe came out on cue, worked fine for a while, then started getting scrambled. The art segment started playing during the cave segment, then two continents went dark, followed by the wrong video playing in the wrong continents. After about 30 seconds of that they shut the video off for the rest of the show. Globe still spun, opened, lit the torch and all, but was obviously pretty sick. Ironically all that happened right after the big 2008 refurb of the globe. Saw it the next night and thr globe was perfect. Just sounds like a glitch.

Last edited:

GiveMeTheMusic

Just a reminder that ROE will be 15 years old this fall. That is longer than the MSEP's original run at MK.

It's stale, and it's a miracle the globe works at all. I saw it when it was new-ish and couldn't figure out what the blobs on the screen were most of the time. It's just embarrassingly low tech now.

Father Robinson

The globe screens were upgraded a few years ago. The show is perfect for EPCOT and I for one hope it never goes away. We go on!!
SAME HERE!!!! Such an amazing show! The Earth Globe is still and will always be an amazing piece of technology. EPCOT doesn't need a World of color Fantasmic! style show. It needs THIS show. The greatest story ever told.

RedtoGray

I think covering the entire globe with LEDs and simulating the rotation using video would be a great update to the show. I guess this wasn't an option 15 years ago. Expanding the screen would also provide for more versatility with the video and it would be brighter. It would probably cut down on mechanical failures too since the globe would only be opening and not rotating.

Alektronic

-dave

It was just a glitch in the video play back system

Alektronic

The globe screens were upgraded a few years ago. The show is perfect for EPCOT and I for one hope it never goes away. We go on!!

Actually, it's been upgraded several times, the last big refurb the whole video system and components were replaced and just a couple of years ago they upgraded all the individual LED modules again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom