I really hate filling out the tip before my card is run...

JimboJones123

This seems to be the current practice at WDW TS.

I hate it.

The CMs seem to live it.

They hate cash tips.

I hate them highlighting and pointing out the suggested tips several times.

The tip should be able to be altered if we have to wait 20 minutes for my card back (happened twice).

Tip is a reward for total job well done, not 80%.

I regret how the tip was handled by the server ended in a slash in tip for several servers.

Never ask me why you did not get 15%. My tip is never up for discussion. Especially when much of the bill is based on drinks and you got 2 of the four milkshakes were wrong and we were never given refills. Plus, do not be lame a Whispering Canyon. When 5 other servers give us better service than you - NEVER question the tip.

If you did not push the tip - you got 30+%. We brought a tip budget for free dining plan and spent the exact budget amount. Some servers made out like bandits an others went home with lighter pockets.

Disney servers - if your tip is no longer guranteed, do not throw it away.

Phonedave

There is no restraunt that i know of in WDW that you get free refills on milkshakes. In fact all of them point out before you order the long list of beverages that ARE NOT free refills. If your server did not point this out he defiantely deserves a low tip and yes they should never comment on what you did or did not leave.

Whispering Canyon Cafe.

They make a specific point of selling bottomless milkshakes. Thats why they cost so much to begin with,

-dave

Upvote 0

JimboJones123

Original Poster
Reading all of the above... Thank God my wife and I use Tables in Wonderland... we've NEVER had poor service, or issues, like the ones described above.

One of the reasons I really LIKE TIW (and avoid any other "dining plan") - there is no plan :) Just a straight 20% discount with a guaranteed 18.5% gratuity - good base, I can add on to it :) We frequent Signiture Dinning restaurants, and the staff seems to LOVE this plan - they know we are likely comming back (only APs and FL residents can get TIW), and are interested in establishing a more classic "regular customer" relationship. We already know several Dining CMs on a first name basis - and they treat us VERY well.

I have family that have a great relationship with the staff at Blue Bayou at DL. They go at least once a month and for several other occasions. They are treated like royalty and tip VERY well.

I tipped VERY well when I was treated like royalty as well. 25-30% is my norm for great service.

I am almost hoping for QS free dining next year instead of TS so I do not have to worry about the trouble.

One that really earned their already defined tip was Hoop Dee Doo. The server brought out our outrageous requests of more chicken breast, beans, cornbread, extra forks and spoons, napkins, many many refills and more dessert.

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

The only reason I can think of why they wouldn't like cash is because the receipt already has the amounts prefigured. They may end up getting a bit more instead of someone underestimating. Beyond that, it's cash all the way. They are supposed to report all tips, and as a PP said, also split them with busboys, and anyone else who helped them. Cash is much easier to split, (and to take a little off the top) and can be done on the spot for the other members. CC tips they have to basically front the other staff out of their own pocket, and wait until they get paid to get it back. Also, with cash they can under report their earning to the IRS (as many cash transactions do) but with CC's, its accurately reported.

Upvote 0

Pete C

I hate it.

The CMs seem to live it.

They hate cash tips.

I hate them highlighting and pointing out the suggested tips several times.

The tip should be able to be altered if we have to wait 20 minutes for my card back (happened twice).

Tip is a reward for total job well done, not 80%.

I regret how the tip was handled by the server ended in a slash in tip for several servers.

Never ask me why you did not get 15%. My tip is never up for discussion. Especially when much of the bill is based on drinks and you got 2 of the four milkshakes were wrong and we were never given refills. Plus, do not be lame a Whispering Canyon. When 5 other servers give us better service than you - NEVER question the tip.

If you did not push the tip - you got 30+%. We brought a tip budget for free dining plan and spent the exact budget amount. Some servers made out like bandits an others went home with lighter pockets.

Disney servers - if your tip is no longer guranteed, do not throw it away.

What do you mean by before your card is run? You get the check, give them your card, then fill out the tip after they bring the card back and just leave it on the table. Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you are doing.

Upvote 0

Phonedave

What do you mean by before your card is run? You get the check, give them your card, then fill out the tip after they bring the card back and just leave it on the table. Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you are doing.

Some have been bringing the check, taking you card, and as they walk away they look at the slip and say "you forgot to add the tip"

They want it added BEFORE they run the card.

-dave

Upvote 0

mare07

If they have done that, it is very rude.
Originally the DDP was set up to automatically add the tip in. Apparently somewhere along the line either enough people complained or they just decided to try something new, they eliminated the automatic tip to the DDP. There are still lots of people who assume the tip is added and then servers then get nothing for their services. This is one of the reasons some servers don't enjoy the DDP, among a myriad of other reasons.
Also, just as a note, but Disney began putting the suggested tip on their as a courtesy, not to the Americans, but to the many Europeans, etc who come to Disney and aren't well versed in tipping. I was at a non-Disney restaurant frequented by most cast members and a British couple spent an hour and a half at the table, spent over $90 (this is a usual $15-20 place) and left our favorite server no tip. We compensated him well because we like him and he's great, but this happens a lot, inside and outside of Disney. Sounds like some of the servers need to be retrained on some things, though.

Upvote 0

kittybubbles

Some have been bringing the check, taking you card, and as they walk away they look at the slip and say "you forgot to add the tip"

They want it added BEFORE they run the card.

-dave

I'm not sure this is completely accurate. My experience has been that when I am on a dining plan, you can enter a TIP to be charged to your room when they swipe your KEY to use the dining credit.

When I have gone while not on a dining plan, I have been told they can not charge you for the TIP at the time they are charging you for the meal so I had to add the TIP in after the ran my card.

This is based on weekend in early SEPT on a dining plan and a trip in late SEPT while not using a dining plan.

Upvote 0

Phonedave

I'm not sure this is completely accurate. My experience has been that when I am on a dining plan, you can enter a TIP to be charged to your room when they swipe your KEY to use the dining credit.

When I have gone while not on a dining plan, I have been told they can not charge you for the TIP at the time they are charging you for the meal so I had to add the TIP in after the ran my card.

This is based on weekend in early SEPT on a dining plan and a trip in late SEPT while not using a dining plan.

That sounds like what the OP was talking about

The need your tip amount before they run your key to remove a credit.

In essence, asking for the tip amount before charging your (key)card.

-dave

Upvote 0

captain marvel1

speaking of key cards and credit cards. keep them away from your cell phone. i was told by a cm at shades of green. if you have that near your cards. its like a magnet it will erase your credit card and room key strip. i wouldnt have belived it. so i tried it out on a room key we had three and it erased the one i put the cell phone near. so i went back to the front desk told them i lost my room key got another one made and i never did it again.

Upvote 0

metman

Can some one please explain to me i normally eat in Disney and i pay for evening dinner $120.00 dollars so i leave a $20.00 Dollar tip the Waiter has come up to me and taken my drinks order,then come back.He then sorts out my meal desert and more drinks now i work out he spends aprox 20 mins in total with me as he is working around 10 tables on a evening in a restaurant. He gets $20.00 per table x 10 = $200 dollars for 2 hours work. he works say 6 hours at full speed so earns $600 dollars for a night. Then we works 5 nights a week this adds up to $3000 dollars per week or $12,000 a month. Am i the only one who does not buy into this i am English but in my opium i get 20 mins of the servers time if i am lucky. Know the average English worker earns £6.00 per hour before tax that is about $10.00 per hour so why do i pay $20.00 for 20 mins work when i should be paying about $8.00 for 20 mins of his time. does America have a super tax i do not know about. I want to pay correct but when i chat to other Americans they all have different op-ions on this matter. the employes do not drive around in flash big cars so where am i going wrong.:hammer:

Upvote 0

metman

One other point on the subject of a Brit not tipping the average English man has paid Disney for a family of 4 close to £6,000 pounds to have a 2 week holiday on site or $11,000 Dollars now please show me an average American Disney vacation that comes in at the same budget staying in a low end Disney hotel and i can see why they might feel like not leaving a tip for a big bill they have saved up for 4 or 5 years to do.

Upvote 0

flscooman

Part Of the problem with DDP is this: When you pay with a credit card the server takes your card and preauthorize the charge. They bring it back and you sign and total it with the tip. When you use DDP they take the card and it closes the check. If they haven't had you total the check prior there is no way to go back and add a tip without taking your room key again. So that is why they ask you to total the check prior to taking DDP. I agree there is no polite way to ask someone to total their check prior to payment. Best way if you plan to leave a cash tip is when the check arrives tell the server "I'm using my plan and will leave a cash tip". If you want to add a tip to your room key you either have total before or give your card twice. hope this helps some

Upvote 0

Philo

I really dont mind the server pointing out were to write the tip or what the suggested amounts are. Perhaps this is because in the UK, tips are pretty rare. Very few people actually tip, regardless of how good the service is.

By pointing out the tip it does help the first-time international visitors. A good friend of mine has visited different parts America several times in the last few years (no Disney resorts though). A few weeks ago we were talking and tipping came into the conversation. Apparantly he had been only tipping between 5% and 10% right up to the last day of his most recent trip because he didn't know otherwise. He know to tip and just thought that like in the UK, 10% was pretty generous.

For the record, I always tip about 20% but generally round up a little. Fortunatly I've never had bad service but if I did, I would drop the tip accordingly.

Upvote 0

Phonedave

Can some one please explain to me i normally eat in Disney and i pay for evening dinner $120.00 dollars so i leave a $20.00 Dollar tip the Waiter has come up to me and taken my drinks order,then come back.He then sorts out my meal desert and more drinks now i work out he spends aprox 20 mins in total with me as he is working around 10 tables on a evening in a restaurant. He gets $20.00 per table x 10 = $200 dollars for 2 hours work. he works say 6 hours at full speed so earns $600 dollars for a night. Then we works 5 nights a week this adds up to $3000 dollars per week or $12,000 a month. Am i the only one who does not buy into this i am English but in my opium i get 20 mins of the servers time if i am lucky. Know the average English worker earns £6.00 per hour before tax that is about $10.00 per hour so why do i pay $20.00 for 20 mins work when i should be paying about $8.00 for 20 mins of his time. does America have a super tax i do not know about. I want to pay correct but when i chat to other Americans they all have different op-ions on this matter. the employes do not drive around in flash big cars so where am i going wrong.:hammer:

Nice typo in bold :)

Anyway

When you are tipping your server you are not tipping just your server. The server tips out the rest of the house.

There is a hostess, busser, runner, bartender, and other people involved. When you give your server $20, they are not keeping all $20 - it gets split between others.

Also, not so much in WDW, but in better restaruants the server should be able to talk intellegently about the dishes. You may not know what a pot au feu or duxelles is, but your waiter should be able to describe them, how they are prepared, and give you an intellegent opinon on their taste. That is something the learn when they are not actively serving you.

Your server (a good server) is also you voice to the kitchen. If your food comes out quickly, many times its because of the work of the server. They are in the back making sure everything is set, rather than just standing around.

I agree that sometimes tipping can get out of hand, but there is a lot that goes on behind the scenes in a restaruant.

-dave

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom