I Need Help with a 9 yr Old

redc55

Original Poster
Here is a problem I haven't seen on this board... We have a 9 yr old son that hates the idea of going to WDW. He has older siblings and cousins who are all going with us in early April. He's been there before (Nov '01) and really didn't like the rides (too scary). We can't leave him home and don't want to ruin the time for the older kids. I have some ideas on how to handle the situation, but would like to know if anyone else has had similar dilemmas. Please help.

Epcot is my fav

Wait a minute....hes 9 and he thinks its too scary???? WHOA.....ummm lemme see here....cant you just tell him if he doenst wanna go on the rides he can sit outside and wait for the rest of his family to come out. Then when he see's everyone so excited coming off the ride maybe sooner or later in the day he will want to try something with the whole crew. I wouldn't force him to do anything until he feels comfortable, but i can tell you once he see's all his cousins and siblings doing it he will want to. Give him time, he will come around.

TheDisneyGirl02

Since he doesn't really enjoy the rides, maybe you could have do something else. I know there is a book called Hidden Mickeys at WDW. You can play it as a game or just for fun! I would also search the web to find other activities he could do while everyone else is on the ride. You could also purchase the For Kids By Kids Official Guide to WDW. Kids his age rate the rides for how scary they are, how fun they are, etc.

Good luck!

TheDisneyGirl02

ilovetigger

We had a child--same age--who pulled something similar, except that it was a control issue. She lived to ruin everyone's good time. I checked out my child care options before we went. There is a day care (either La Petite or Kindercare) nearby which takes kids on an hourly basis, or there's always "Disney Day Care"--the kids' clubs--which limit you to four hours.

I did not force child to ride anything "scary"--I don't ride a few things, and we did child swap on the zippier stuff that I do ride--but if she started being a pill about a benign dark ride or being "too hot" or "too tired," I pulled out my day care threat. Also, I used being grounded from the resort pool as a consequence for un-Mickey-like behavior, and I actually used it one day.

Another possible "carrot" is to take poker chips or stickers--each one is worth a certain amount of money, say $.25--which are awarded for each ride ridden. You can award one token per ride, or have a scale based upon the intensity of the ride, and that money is the child's souvenier money.

It stinks to have to have a discipline management plan at WDW, but some kids need it, and it will end up making the trip more enjoyable for all involved.

CAPTAIN HOOK

Why does your 9 year old think the rides are too scary - is it fear of the unknown (ie hasn't tried it and doesn't like the look / sound of it), or, is it fear through having ridden it last time ?
I suggest that you take the child to the parks and let them decide which rides to go on / avoid. Perhaps one adult could be assigned to the more gentle rides with the 9 year old each day while the others have fun and arrange to meet up for dinner / parades etc.

Dwarful

What rides is he specifically afraid of? WIll he not ride any rides? If he will ride some, I would take advantage of the child swap program with the other rides. Forcing him to ride any rides won't benefit him or you. I don't know if our 8 yr old daughter will be able to ride ToT or not. If she wants to try, great, if not, no big deal! She has mastered the big wooden roller coasters at Six Flags last year at 7, but the unknown is sometimes to great a fear to master for young children. Either way, don't let it ruin your trip, or the trip for any of the other children in your park. Also DON'T let the other kids torment him, you know by saying things like "don't be such a baby". etc. If its NOT a control issue, and he really is afraid let him go at his own pace.

Disney2002

I have a cousin who had a massive fear of anything unknown. She just freaked out at the littlest things (like going to the movies). You really can't force the issue. Just encourage the child to try new things... and do it with him. Start with something really mundane, like the Tomorrowland Transit Authority.

My cousin, after receiving a lot of positive reinforcement for trying new things... ended up going on the Superman at Six Flags, which is one of the most insane coasters I know of (200 foot initial drop at something like 75mph). She loved it!

tigsmom

You have to remember that he hasn't been there since 2001. Have a little talk with him. Remind him that he has matured some and what he thought was scary then might not be now. I have a 9 y/o daughter that went thru the same thing. We agreed that she could ride what she felt comfortable with and skip others. She was brave enough to try some rides (Haunted Mansion in particular) in the daytime, but not at night. Let him ride with the adult/older child of his choice (for us that would be my DH). Never force him to ride/see anything. Have a private talk with the other members of your party. Explain the situation & encourage them not to tease him or try to push him into anything. Maybe you could have a special treat during the day if he is doing really well...a special meal, dessert, tee shirt, pin...that kind of thing. Positive reinforcement works wonders with kids (adults too).

There is so much to see & do in WDW; how about a contest to get the most autographs, stickers, photos, etc. There really is something for everyone. Good luck. We made it and I'm sure you will too. :wave:

redc55

Original Poster
Thank you for all of your suggestions. Responding to your questions: He has ridden many of the rides and is, in general, afraid of the "Big" ones. He doesn't want to ride them again, and now is unwilling to ride the ones that he has said in the past that he likes. I lke the reward idea...winning the chips for souvenier purchases, scaling the chips up for "scarier rides." I won't force him to do anything he doesn't want to do.....that would be extremely counter-productive. Although, he is the type of kid that needs a little prodding in some social aspects, because he is shy. Thanks for your help, again...and keep the ideas coming !!!

tigsmom

Originally posted by JBSLJames
Pick up the Disney book "For Kids, By Kids". This might give him some insight into some of the attractions.

Great Idea! I forgot about this. We get one every year, even my 15 y/o likes it. It give ratings for rides & shows by kids. It has games, puzzles & tips for finding Hidden Mickeys.

**huggles** to Judd for this one. :wave:

AliciaLuvzDizne

Originally posted by redc55
Here is a problem I haven't seen on this board... We have a 9 yr old son that hates the idea of going to WDW. He has older siblings and cousins who are all going with us in early April. He's been there before (Nov '01) and really didn't like the rides (too scary). We can't leave him home and don't want to ruin the time for the older kids. I have some ideas on how to handle the situation, but would like to know if anyone else has had similar dilemmas. Please help.

well when he was there in 01...he was 6 right? many of the rides probably WERE scary to him (they were to me when i was around the same age...)
but let him know that he's older now and the rides will seem much different to him now...and tell him that if he still hates it you will find him somewhere else to go, but at least get him to agree to give it a chance.

Shaman

If it gets bad there are always other things to do at WDW....mini-golf...Disney Quest...water parks...DTD...

The best way to get him over his fears is to build is confidence, since he's already gone on the rides, he knows what to expect, so in many ways he's already done the worse part...actually gone on the rides...that shows some bravery...

Good luck!

:wave:

77johnson77

Yeah But it might not be a great experience, I cant understand how someone cannot like WDW, !!!!!!!!!!!!! weird !!!!!!!!!!, I dont understand, alot of WDW's rides arent scary or even supose to be , owell

bsandersjr

Rent a locker, leave him in there. Every 4-6 hours, slide some food through the vents.

Just Kidding :lol:

WDW offers day care, They do a lot of arts and crafts, and watch movies and stuff. Fun stuff kids love to do.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom