I Love The 80's - What's Wrong With These People

Burgstressera

Original Poster
So the other night I was watching "I Love The 80s" on VH1. It was 1982, so they had a section on EPCOT.

Now, if you've ever seen this show before you'll know that it's celebrities poking fun at things of the past. After reading that sentence you probably know where I'm going with this....

First thing - they played a news broadcast of the park opening and the broadcaster called it: EPCOT - Experimental Planned City of Tomorrow. What is that?!?!?! You're a news broadcaster and you can't get the name right???:brick:

Then all these celebrities start making fun of the park. Lance Bass of N'Sync said, "I was so excited to go and then I get there and it's the most boring place I've ever been to." This coming from the same man that on celebrity Who Wants to be a Millionaire didn't know what a baker's dozen was.

Ugh - I was so annoyed and just wanted to vent my frustration with all of you.

Did anyone else see the show?

Computer Magic

TAC said:
Wow, hopefully no one said that they were going to see that big golf ball.

Who cares?

It's a fun show. Take a chill pill and relax.
exactly...They make fun of everything...that is what the show is about, making light of the 80's.

AliciaLuvzDizne

Lance Bass: he's probably my age right? 23, 24?

I didnt like it when I was little either (loved future world, had no use for world showcase)... now its my favorite (WS included)
people's tastes change as they get older. And EPCOT has also changed over the years.

Dr Albert Falls

1980's Epcot WAS boring.

They've never removed Haunted Mansion. They've never removed Space Mountain. They've never removed Peter Pan's Flight.

So why has Disney removed and rennovated much of the original EPCOT--- something that continues to this day? Because it was BORING!

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Give me the lecture about short attention-spans and all those other arguments. To those that would disagree--- I acknowledge--- YOU liked 80's Epcot.

But you also didn't have access to the daily turnstyle numbers. You didn't have access to the guest compliments and complaints. Your financial well-being did not rely on the park's popularity.

Keep in mind, the people who designed EPCOT were the same ones who nearly caused the company to break apart in the early 80's. They weren't the geniuses that many seem to assume.

BeachClubVillas

TAC said:
Wow, hopefully no one said that they were going to see that big golf ball.

:lol: Actually they did. Someone made fun of them for having a "giant golf ball thing" in the front of the park. And then they showed an animation of a giant golf club hitting it off the screen.

It's supposed to be a funny show though. It's not a documentary. If Lance Bass had said, "Boy I loved it, I went every weekend," he wouldn't have made it on-air.

(And the guy needs all the publicity he can get :lookaroun )

dr_teeth90210

Lance Bass of N'Sync thinks Epcot is "the most boring place he's ever been to", yet he has a Leave a Legacy tile at the front of the park?!?!?

He should love Epcot since Mission Space is the closest this boy band member is ever getiing to outer space.

:dazzle:

shoppingnut

I saw it last night and it was really neat to see EPCOT at that time. Of course folks are going to make fun of it because that is what that show does, but there were one or two that did like it and said so.

mhead

Dr Albert Falls said:
1980's Epcot WAS boring.

They've never removed Haunted Mansion. They've never removed Space Mountain. They've never removed Peter Pan's Flight.

So why has Disney removed and rennovated much of the original EPCOT--- something that continues to this day? Because it was BORING!

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Give me the lecture about short attention-spans and all those other arguments. To those that would disagree--- I acknowledge--- YOU liked 80's Epcot.

But you also didn't have access to the daily turnstyle numbers. You didn't have access to the guest compliments and complaints. Your financial well-being did not rely on the park's popularity.

Keep in mind, the people who designed EPCOT were the same ones who nearly caused the company to break apart in the early 80's. They weren't the geniuses that many seem to assume.

Could not have said it better myself. My friends and I used to walk around MK saying how cool EPCOT was trying to get people to leave and go there so we could have a smaller crowd. I do like EPCOT ore now than I used to, but it is still near the bottom of my list. If AK was worth anything EPCOT would still be my least favorite -but everybdy is entitled to their opinion, even Lance Bass.

HunnyPot

I hated Epcot when I was a kid. I remember wanting it to be just like MK, and I was so disappointed when it wasn't. I like it now though. It's not my favorite park at WDW, but I do enjoy it much more now.

I haven't seen the show, but I'm hoping to catch it another time this week. Last night when I tuned in it was on 1985.

col

lance bass should listen to himself -epcot boring- please he doesnt know what hes talking about lets just say n*sync (isnt that enough)!

Laura

Premium Member
Don't worry, I was super annoyed when I saw it too. It totally sounded like he was saying it was boring just so he could sound "cool". I think he's an idiot.

DisneySam

dr_teeth90210 said:
Lance Bass of N'Sync thinks Epcot is "the most boring place he's ever been to", yet he has a Leave a Legacy tile at the front of the park?!?!?

He should love Epcot since Mission Space is the closest this boy band member is ever getiing to outer space.

:dazzle:

LOL Okay when we were at EPCOT leaving MS the CM that is right outside of the ride as you walk out....I was like awww that's going to be Lance in a few years LOL, as my best friend and I used to love Nsync....we got a good laugh...

As for I love the 80's lets face it they are a bunch of C-List actors/comedians [except for Edwin McCain who I LOVE!] who are being paid to comment on pop culture, on VH1, no one really takes that stuff seriously.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom