I Love Southern Cuisine At WDW.

Dad 2 M & M

I have had Gullah cooking in Charleston including amazing Gullah rice. Not familiar with Geechee.
Ummm....Charleston!! When we hit Charleston we like Babara Jean's (bordering the downtown market). Now there is some real southern cooking! Afterwards we stroll the market for a while and then hit the Moon Pie store for a double decker and an RC!

And I thought it was yall? No apostrophe?

Plenty of great eats around the market, including Noisey Oyster, Bubba Gump's and Hyman's, to name a few.
Shem Creek has Red's and the Wrec...

epcotisbest

Ummm....Charleston!! When we hit Charleston we like Babara Jean's (bordering the downtown market). Now there is some real southern cooking! Afterwards we stroll the market for a while and then hit the Moon Pie store for a double decker and an RC!

And I thought it was yall? No apostrophe?

Plenty of great eats around the market, including Noisey Oyster, Bubba Gump's and Hyman's, to name a few.
Shem Creek has Red's and the Wrec...
Hymans is a great seafood place. Last time there I made the mistake of ordering the fried seafood platter. Only a mistake because it was more food than I could eat. Also in Charleston, Magnolias has the best shrimp and grits I have ever tasted, and I have had my share of shrimp and grits, including for lunch today at home.

Hobnail Boot

Hey y'all. We went to the mecca of Southern cooking a couple of weeks ago...Savannah, GA. Went to Paula Deen's The Lady and Sons and it was OK...but there is a place there that has it beat by a mile...Mrs. Wilkes. Anyway, did not get to Mrs. Wilkes this time, but I think a place at WDW serving authentic Southern cooking would be a smash hit and a difficult ADR to get. Like bethymouse said, fried chicken, biscuits, collard greens. Different from cajun or creole. I love all three kinds of cooking.
Here is a pic of my first (of many) plates at the buffet at The Lady and Sons.

IMG_6908_zpsdb2df8e7.jpg
I'm from Savannah, and yeah Mrs. Wilkes beats The Lady & Sons by a mile. The Lady is mostly for tourists now and most locals don't even go there (they even offer "preferential treatment" to locals to try to bring us in). If ya'll are in town again give Fiddlers or Love's seafood a try. Also, Carey Hilliard's is good, cheap seafood and southern style food. If you venture away from downtown you find even more restaurants. Most people make the mistake of staying in the historic areas.

When it comes to what I consider southern food, I think of any thing fried (chicken, pickles, shrimp, etc.), grits, sweet tea, collard greens, southern style green beans (I won't eat any other kind), biscuits, pralines, etc.

And a side note: ya'll is part of my normal vocabulary. I spell it ya'll but apparently the correct version is y'all.

epcotisbest

I'm from Savannah, and yeah Mrs. Wilkes beats The Lady & Sons by a mile. The Lady is mostly for tourists now and most locals don't even go there (they even offer "preferential treatment" to locals to try to bring us in). If ya'll are in town again give Fiddlers or Love's seafood a try. Also, Carey Hilliard's is good, cheap seafood and southern style food. If you venture away from downtown you find even more restaurants. Most people make the mistake of staying in the historic areas.

When it comes to what I consider southern food, I think of any thing fried (chicken, pickles, shrimp, etc.), grits, sweet tea, collard greens, southern style green beans (I won't eat any other kind), biscuits, pralines, etc.

And a side note: ya'll is part of my normal vocabulary. I spell it ya'll but apparently the correct version is y'all.

We were there for business a couple of weeks ago. Mrs. Wilkes is amazing but did not have time to get there for lunch.
We only had time for a few meals out, including Lady and Sons, Wiley's Championship BBQ, Zunzis, Sisters of the New South, and Crab Trap (more like tourist trap).
Thanks for the recommendations. Will try them out.
If I lived in Savannah I'd be close to 300 lbs (oh wait...I live in N. GA and already have 300 in sight).

real mad hatter

Original Poster
Ok @real mad hatter while you're at it BBQ is considered quite southern but is also quite regional! Pork or beek? Marinade or dry rub? Sauce or dry? If sauce vinegar or tomato based? See the can of worms you've opened up!:eek:
Yes,my last ribs were dry rubbed then I used a wet rub and it turned out awesome.My dry rub was a tandoori mix and my wet rub was a sweet chilli and my ribs were Pork, not Beek. I hate Beek ribs.:(

93boomer

Premium Member
OK...I've vowed to never actually use it in conversation...but since I see it written and typed so frequently here...

"y'all" :D

I'm just trying to figure out what we're classifying as southern food. Creole and Cajun (which also are different...but are often served side by side) are different than southern food, so just wondering which you're looking for? When I think southern, I think really top notch fried chicken, baked mac & cheese, collared-mustard-turnip greens, pecan pie, sweet tea, cobblers, corn bread, etc. Then you've got BBQ, which varies drastically based on region. Just curious.
Yes!! You are so right!! I am southern y'all and all the food you mentioned is my kinda food!!
You can be my Southern cousin now!! LOL

epcotisbest

This is my new fav thread....but, a lot of this southern cuisine is following the coastal delicacies. Let's not forget some of the landlocked areas of the south. I could eat a whole plate of fried green tomatoes or fried pickles!
Yes, fried green tomatoes are right up there with 'mater sandwiches on the delicious scale. Good ole white bread, home grown, juicy red tomato right off the vine (soon, very soon), salt and pepper to taste and gobs of mayo (Dukes please). Add some crispy bacon and you take it up to the stupid good category.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom