Trip Report I know, Disney is just SO horrible (alternate title: Is there a sign on my scooter?) - COMPLETED

Who: My husband Scott and I
When: May 5th-11th, 2018
Where: Pop Century Resort

This is my first trip report, so please forgive me if I make an trip report faux pas!

DAY 1

Up at 4am to get a morning shower (it's my equivalent of coffee)
got ready and woke hubby up at 430am.

Scott's mom picked us up at 5am to shuttle us to the airport (she's a trooper)! We got to the airport about 530am and we were number one in the queue for Southwest. Sent off our luggage, and we had reserved a wheelchair for hubs because he's disabled, and although he can walk, he can't DISNEY walk, and in the airports we just find it easier. It also allows us to board first on Southwest, so that works out great. But before we got the wheelchair, he wanted to go outside to smoke his pipe for a bit, since we were so early (the flight was at 720am, but I worked for the airlines for 13 years, and you are suppose to be at the airport 2 hours prior to departure... I can't break that habit, and I don't like to feel late!

IMG_0553.jpg

wow, what a wrinkly sleeve!

While we were outside, there was a dude out there dancing and facebook live-ing it.... ok then. You do you dude!

Went back to the Southwest desk to call for a skycap with a wheelchair, and we were whisked thru pre-check/handicap security really quickly.

edited to add: I did get stopped at security because of my splint on my arm/hand. the lady inspected it, wanded it, and drug tested it. All which took about 1 minute or less.

Here we are at the gate, waiting for boarding... hubby looks thrilled.
IMG_0554.jpg

mandatory plane picture
IMG_0555.jpg

We were off right on time. From Grand Rapids, MI, we had to change planes in Chicago Midway.
IMG_0557.jpg

This was an interesting relic to see there:
IMG_0556.jpg

Everything was also on time to MCO, the flight was full however, and I refuse to sit in a middle seat. Usually, I get hubby to sit aisles across from eachother, but he was being ornery this morning, so he was sitting at the window, and I'm on the aisle in the same row, with a confused person between us. She tried to get each of us at separate times to move over next to eachother, but each of us refused. Sorry lady, you were almost the last person on the plane... you get the middle seat! :hilarious:

Next: Day 1 continued...

Last edited:

Rista1313

Original Poster
Day 1 Continued...

A wheelchair assistant met our plane... we went thru the terminal so fast, I forgot to take pictures... but you've all seen pics of the fonorail, the mickey welcome sign, and the ME lines, right?

There were only a couple people ahead of us in line, and our magical bands turned green, so we were in! No one in line for our resort, we were the last ones on our bus, (which wasn't full) and they shut the doors and we were on the road...it was perfect, no waiting around... the time gods were for us this morning .....

Our bus was a Disney cruise line bus.. which I also forgot to take a picture of.

Not many people on the bus, Almost Shirley status.
IMG_0563.jpg

But here we are on it!
IMG_0558.JPG

and we made it!

IMG_0561.jpg

A quick stop at AOA and then we were off
IMG_0564.jpg

Once we got on the bus, I got the "your room isn't quite ready yet text", but just before we got to AOA, I got a your room is ready text. This prompted me to order our groceries from Publix. Just morning food, water, and some diet mountain dew for hubby. I was supposed to have free delivery on my first order, but the app didn't give it to me. In the end, I just paid the delivery charge. In hindsight, I should have cancelled and switched to Amazon now. Oh well..

Straight off the bus, we went to bell services and picked up hubby's ECV for the week.

Then onto room 4110. A preferred pool room. Not the one I requested from touring plans. I was hoping for a king first floor. We did get a double first floor, which was my 2nd choice. I was ok with that.

Trying to be in the moment, I totally forgot to take pics of our room, but it was the standard refurb room. We put our carry on in the room and went to the Pop cafeteria to get some lunch.

With a big group there..it was a madhouse!
IMG_0565.jpg

I got fried chicken and a millenial cupcake (they made an exception for us to use our resort mugs and get dessert instead) It was pretty tasty chicken... the mash wasn't bad either.. but the green beans were meh
IMG_0568.jpg

Hubby got the benedict burger and pineapple upside down cake...which looked dry to me, but he said it wasn't. He said the burger was good.
IMG_0569.jpg

This was the one and only time we sat inside for our meal. It was incredibly loud in there, and parents were letting their kids scream and cry... just wail.... I like kids... but I hate parents who just let their kids scream in restaurants... We know it's Disney, there are lots of kids.... so for future meals we took our trays to the outdoor seating.

Back to the room for a small nap before going to the MK... at 5'2" I could barely get up on the bed... I almost asked the front desk if I could get a foot stool.. seriously... the new beds are so tall! Hubby declared all 8 pillows his! (4 for the murphy)
IMG_0570.jpg

After about an hour or so, it was about 330p.. time to get in line for the bus to magic kingdom. Our first fastpass was 7dmt at 510pm
IMG_0571.jpg

Good thing I gave us plenty of time. For some reason the MK bus didn't come for 45 minutes. Three of each of the other buses came in that time frame. I thought... well our luck for good timing had run out, and I was going to be very annoyed if we had this problem all week.

Finally made it on the bus. Hubby was not good at parking his scooter, luckily the bus drivers are really good at helping.

IMG_0573.jpg

Off to the kingdom we go! We made it thru bag check... our protocol all week was that Scott went thru the no bag line with the scooter, and I went thru the bag check line. It worked out fine, while he waited, he would pull out his phone and play Pokemon Go.

First priority once thru the gate was Guest Services to apply for a Disability pass... clausterphobe, and lines full a people, does not a good vacation make. There was a line there.. but we finally got our turn, the gentlemen came outside with his iPad, to get Scott's picture and magic bands, only to be told we had actually gone to the wrong place for this, but he would take care of it anyway. He asked us ZERO questions... which was odd, but we were ok with the non interrigation. Explained how the pass worked, and we were once again on our way.

Oh! While in line, we met this lovely couple from Ohio.. this was their return trip.. they went for a week in Disney, a cruise, and then back to Disney for the day. It was so hot and muggy, he asked if we had anything to drink. In my hurry to get out of the room, I forgot to grab water bottles. So he offered one up... very nice. I just love midwestern people.

We finally get to see the sights!

doh... already attached to many files.. on to the next entry!

Rista1313

Original Poster
Day 1 continued...

Oh yes, the sites:
IMG_0574.jpg

IMG_0575.jpg

I may have gotten a little teary eyed....

Off to our first fast pass, which I didn't take any pictures of. Shoot... but this was my favorite ride of the day! 7dmt. Hubby said it did hurt his back, which we knew it might, but he was willing to try it, because we had heard how smooth this was. It was our only coaster ride all week.

We had time to kill before our next FP.. so somehow we ended up wandering into:
IMG_0577.jpg

I giggled at the Look Left/Look Right and thought of Tuvalu.

Then we headed towards HM, where I visited the Tangled bathrooms along the way (my favorite the whole trip), and then we stopped to get a treat. Hubby got an ice cream sandwich, and I got this sad mickey bar. I almost took it back, it was not instagram worthy! It was still tasty though.

IMG_0579.jpg

By time we were done snacking, it was time for our HM fast pass. I never went on this, the other 2 times I've been. I have no idea why. And I swear I took pictures while we were in line, but I think they must be on Scott's phone.

Ok, time to do some work at work.. I'll continue later..

Last edited:

Rista1313

Original Poster

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom