I just want some icecream....

fossilizedtrees

Original Poster
I don't even know why I remembered this.

Last summer at Magic Kingdom I decided I really wanted Ice Cream so I got in line and I think there were like two people in front of me.
When it was my turn all of a sudden this huge family (I think about 8 people) stepped in front of me and tried to order. The family seemed to be of a hispanic culture (not meaning to be racist here) and there was a communication issue.
The lead guy kept trying to get Ice Cream by yelling at the CM.
This of course went on for several minutes and I can't seem to recall how it ended.
I think the CM just gave in and gave them their Ice Cream. I don't blame her though, there were so many and they were quite abrassive.
She apologized and served me.
I didn't mind really, although Im sure I had an annoyed look on my face :brick: but I mostly felt bad for the CM.
I mean it just amazes me how rude so many people are now a days.

OneLuckyMom

I had something similiar happen last year waiting for an ASMo bus at Magic Kingdom closing time. Lines were, of course, out the ying-yang. A family of about 12-13 folks pushed their way through the line, in front of many other families, to the ONE person they knew in line. Everyone was hot and tired, so the family in front of us and I decided it just wasn't worth ruining our kids memories of the trip to start a fight...

I know in China, standing in line calmly, in a first come, first on manner, just isn't done. When a bus arrives, everyone just pushes away to get on. Old and young alike better be able to stand their ground. So I do think a lot of it has to do with cultural differences. Keeping that in mind really helps. While we consider it rude not to stand in line nicely, they probably think we're a bunch of mindless sheep for doing it. :rolleyes:

primetime52

I don't even know why I remembered this.

Last summer at Magic Kingdom I decided I really wanted Ice Cream so I got in line and I think there were like two people in front of me.
When it was my turn all of a sudden this huge family (I think about 8 people) stepped in front of me and tried to order. The family seemed to be of a hispanic culture (not meaning to be racist here) and there was a communication issue.
The lead guy kept trying to get Ice Cream by yelling at the CM.
This of course went on for several minutes and I can't seem to recall how it ended.
I think the CM just gave in and gave them their Ice Cream. I don't blame her though, there were so many and they were quite abrassive.
She apologized and served me.
I didn't mind really, although Im sure I had an annoyed look on my face :brick: but I mostly felt bad for the CM.
I mean it just amazes me how rude so many people are now a days.

When I'm at WDW, I sometimes feel bad for foreigners because there are very few translations into foreign languages in the parks. I often see foreigners become very confused in certain attractions. The one time I saw MILF, about half of our theater was made up of Spanish only speakers. They must have been pretty lost for the entire show.

Of course, there's no excuse for cutting in line, I'm pretty sure that lines are a universal way to wait for stuff.

jayhawk2307

Since my dad is in the army and when we lived in Germany and I understand how foreigners feel about lines(atleast Germans and British). When we went Euro Disney and they had the rope to keep the crowd back until they "officialy" oppened the park. We were at the front with some British people next to us and when some French people tried to cut infront of us the Brits just about got in a fight (though it might have just been "political reasons"). Also since we are on the whole line cutting disscusion something I noticed when we went in Jan was the Brazilian tour groups(and there were ALOT of them then) ONE guy would get in line and then the 25 other people in the groug would cut all the way to the front:brick:

C&D

No need to assign cultures or nationalities to rudeness, there are rude people everywhere. Any assignment of title is a generalization and arbitrary. (and that's how stereotypes are created) JMO

MaXXimus

Yea rudeness is everywhere, but it did seem more noticable in WDW. I can understand being hot, tired and annoyed at standing in lines for a long time but why make it worse for people by being a pinhead? I cant tell you how many times during our trip a few weeks ago we would get into attractions like Tough To Be A Bug where when you get inside there is no railings to keep you in any type of line and being first in that line always turned into me being about 35th by the time everyone pushed, shoved and wiggled there way in front of us. And on some attractions where the line area was wide we still had people trying to pass us and had to get my family to spread out in a zigzag line from left to right to create a barrier of sorts to get people to stop doing this.

cb3k

Hmmm....The problem here is that you were going for Ice Cream, when you should have been pursuing a tasty frozen lemonade from Frontierland, and not the crumby frozen lemonade that you buy from a street vendor during Illuminations RoE, that comes in a lil minute maid carton with a tiny plastic spoon..Ohhh NO, Im talkin about the good stuff, the stuff dreams are made of....The stuff that sits nestled up just outside of Country Bear Jamboree, and Rock N Roller Coaster....this coffee now tastes like garbage...Great!

beachclubbasics

I understand that there are cultural differences in the world, but WDW is in America and people from other countries should read up on how we do things here in the good old USA and act accordingly (especially those wonderful tour groups). Ohter countries do not allow special treatment to those who do not know the culture (they may inform you once that what you did was wrong, but then you'll be expected to do the right thing in their eyes from then out).

Behavior that we see as fine that would be considered rude in another country would not be tolerated in that country. My family and I will eventually be moving to Japan (though I will still spend summer vacations in FLA!) and we are learning not only the culture but also the language. We always want to put our best feet forwards as representatives of not only our family, but of America. The first three phrases I leaned in Japanese were "Thank you" "you are welcome" and "I'm sorry".

Why can't Disney send these groups brochures in their language when they book their trips regarding the rules and ettiquite of WDW and let these groups know what is expected of them and what will happen if they don't follow the rules?

On the flip side, my family has seen so many Americans being rude to the international cast members at Epcot...seems more prevalent after they have spent time in Germany (if you know what I mean...drinking) and seems to be directed mostly at the Asian CMS (some of the world's most polite people IMO). It makes me ill to see how merchandise is treated in Mitsukoshi..to see groups of kids (yes usually tour groups) just tossing expensive kimos and geta in heaps on the ground, leaving packages everyhwere but where they belong, etc. And the Japanese, being shy and polite, really feel they shouldn't intervene, but that store looks like a hurricane hit it at the end of the night. Then there was the guy from Texas who was harassing CMs dressed in kimono because "You're in America, you should dress American and not like ______(pejorative term for Asians)". Duh, you're supposed to be in JAPAN you idiot!

I guess that rudeness knows no boundaries.

I especailly love the tour groups. I speak several languages and can string enough together to sound Brazilian, so I'm always yelling at these boneheads when they act like jerks...and in Portuguese no less...tends to shock them...lol.

chels26

two things...

ice cream- I don't care what any one says, best ice cream in the entire world is from Mrs. Potts cuppord, this is going to make me sound sooo fat haha, but seriously they have the best ice cream AND especially the best sprinkles. I make sure that it's one of my meals every time i'm in the magic kingdom.

rudeness- When i was 5 years old, I was in line to see my favorite princess, Cinderella. I was SOO excited to take a picture with her and get her autograph and what not. Then, just as it was my turn to go up and say hello, a huge group of tourists from another country just walked up right infront of me and went to Cindy. And then, just as luck would have it, It was the last group of people that Cinderella would see because she was going to take a break. I was so devistated, and my parents were pretty ticked off. We didn't even get to stay in line because we had a dinner priority seating thing in less than 5 minutes so we had to go. not that i have anything against them, but they definetly ruined what could have been a magical experience for me.
haha, im such a loser.

beachclubbasics

Disney should enforce the rules according to what they are in America... while some snotty tour group got to see Cindy it ruined what could have been a great exeprience for a 5 year old and the memories that went with it were not verydisneylike.

Six Flags can't hold a candle to WDW, BUT at least they have really cracked down on this kind of behavior in thier parks (At least here in NJ). You cut any line and you are out of the park...no ifs and or buts.No refundof admisison either. After it has happened a ew times this year and been publicized in the local papers you see a lot less line cutting.

The problem with tour groups is that these are kids that tend to have some money (are usually from the wealthier classes in their countries) so they feel they can walk all over everyone. My family loves to speak very loudly around them about how their "riches " are probably less than what the average American garbage man makes in a year....lol. Knocks a few of them down a peg or two. It really helps to know several different languages.

So yeah, I guess I am also rude at times..lol

Lucky

Without disagreeing with any of the above posts, a few comments:

1. There are plenty of rude people in every country.
2. Any visitors to the U.S. from poor countries tend to be from their wealthier classes, and they may have a sense of entitlement that people in more egalitarian countries would find irritating or obnoxious.
3. There are "cultural" differences in queuing behavior in different countries. Some visitors may not realize they are being rude by the standards of the U.S., just like American tourists sometimes do things in other countries they don't realize are inappropriate. In general visitors should adapt to the norms of the country they are in.
4. It should not be left to American and foreign guests at WDW to sort out any problems arising from cultural differences themselves. Where there are large groups from other countries WDW should make sure there are enough CMs to deal with situations, even assigning one or more CMS to accompany large groups.

beachclubbasics

I totally agree Lucky!

What really boils my ...well, you know...lol, is when groups go to WDW and then proceed to trash their rooms. do they end up getting banned /having to pay for damages?

I've heard some pretty hair-curling stories...

No excuse for that.

fossilizedtrees

Original Poster
I certainly was not trying to point out a certain race or say that only those of different cultures are rude. Believe me the majority of the people a WDW are ruded- regardless of race.

And when I was there I had a fair share of tour groups also.
My friend who is a CM was explaing the same thing about the tour groups. They are rich in their country and often live very priviledged lives. So when they come here they think the same thing, and that they can do what they want. Of course they always have their families to bail them out.

Th week before we went last year some of the boys from a tour group started beating up one of the Country Bears.
They caused the CM in the costume to have a concussion, and the attending CM (who was a young lady) had her armed pulled out of socket when trying to help the other CM. (Either her arm got pulledd out of sockect or they broke it, I can't remember, but Im pretty sure it was the socket).
Both Boys were kicked out of the resort, and I believe banned for life.

on the subject of line cutting, I honestly don't believe in saving spots in line. It flustrates me to no end when I see people getting into line with someone else in front of me. I mean I can undestand if the person had been sick and needed to leave line, but I hate when people leave just to get food or they don't want to wait.
if your hungry look at the line before hand to see how long it is, and get food before you get in line!

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
The first three phrases I leaned in Japanese were "Thank you" "you are welcome" and "I'm sorry".
Those comprised the first 18-20 phrases I learned in Japanese! They have ever-increasingly more polite versions of each phrase up to the level of directly thanking the Emperor!

:ROFLOL:

sarabi

As a former ice cream cart CM, 2 things:

1) I think everyone understands the universal "go to the back of the line" symbol. I would make this gesture to those groups that would cut right in front of someone. Most of them got it and went around to the back of the line. Some of them got a look of recognition in their eyes, but refused to move and that goes beyond language barriors at that point and into rudeness.

2) When I was working and I had some abrasive group cutting in front of a single person or two, I would turn directly to the single person, make eye contact, and take their order, completely ignoring the cutters. When it was their turn, I would turn to the cutters. If they kept shouting while I tried to take the order of the person who was next, I would put my palm up at them to show them to wait. They didn't love it, but I didn't love them, so....

mcstensrud

What i can't understand are the people that push their way up to the front and when they get into a theatre say(philharmagic,TTBAB or Muppets)then they do not want to go to the end of a row so they stop in the middle and pretend that they do not understand that the CM is talking to them when they are saying "Please move all the way to the end of the row filling in all available seats"
:shrug: :hammer:

jayhawk2307

Disney should enforce the rules according to what they are in America... while some snotty tour group got to see Cindy it ruined what could have been a great exeprience for a 5 year old and the memories that went with it were not verydisneylike.

Six Flags can't hold a candle to WDW, BUT at least they have really cracked down on this kind of behavior in thier parks (At least here in NJ). You cut any line and you are out of the park...no ifs and or buts.No refundof admisison either. After it has happened a ew times this year and been publicized in the local papers you see a lot less line cutting.

The problem with tour groups is that these are kids that tend to have some money (are usually from the wealthier classes in their countries) so they feel they can walk all over everyone. My family loves to speak very loudly around them about how their "riches " are probably less than what the average American garbage man makes in a year....lol. Knocks a few of them down a peg or two. It really helps to know several different languages.

So yeah, I guess I am also rude at times..lol

Well Why doesn't Disney do this?:shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom