Trip Report I hugged a dolphin

Just finished a four-nighter on the Disney Dream. My family and I had an awesome time. Highlights included a dolphin swim and the premiere of Beauty & the Beast show on board.

We hit the Bahamas and Castaway Cay (Key) on the trip. I didn’t expect it to be so warm in early November. But it was hot. The dolphin swim was at the Blue Lagoon, which seemed like a pretty cool place. We did the later excursion so we didn’t have a lot of time to mosey around afterward. I had a couple observations about the cruise while it’s fresh in my mind:

- We flew into Melbourne two days before the cruise and stayed in Cocoa Beach. Took the day to hit Kennedy Space Center, which was very cool. Dropped off rental and took a shuttle over. I thought the boarding process was very well organized.

- We went aboard in bathing suits. That time before you could get into your room was about the only time there was no line for the Aqua-Duck water slide.

- I’d avoid rooms around elevators and laundry areas. They are busy, noisy areas. We were in 8620, which was a great room. Barely heard anything at night. It came with a veranda, which I was happy to have, but we didn’t use it a whole lot. Higher rooms also put you closer to deck 11 where the pool and drinks are (though I heard deck 10 is noisy due to all the activity on the pool deck). And we were on the starboard side - that faces Castaway Cay when parked and fireworks are off that side. More people did door magnets than I expected - I glad I brought some or my kid would have felt left out.

- I don’t normally like wearing lanyards, but I think one to carry my card key around would have made life a lot easier on this trip.

- I really enjoyed the restaurants, and can’t really pick a favorite. We had second seating, which felt a hair late, but I think I preferred that over the early seating. The afternoon would have felt rushed. By the second night, my kid got into the groove. It was nice to relax after the excursions and then go to a show before dinner. Just got a room service snack to tide us over.

- I wasn’t too impressed with Nassau. It’s cool to say we hugged dolphins but not sure I’d do that trip again. It was a bit too orchestrated. They blared music the entire boat ride there and back. That didn’t bother me but bring ear plugs if you don’t like loud music.

- Castaway Cay was very nice. Good lunch too. I’d recommend getting out there pretty early, getting off the tram at the second stop and getting a spot in Pelican Bay Area. Didn’t seem quite as intensely jammed up down at that far end. A cabana would have been cool, but they are pretty steep $$-wise. And unless you’re right there online booking activities at midnight the day they become available, you probably won’t get one, and even then it’s a crapshoot. I asked on the boat and the beach to see if any opened up for kicks and giggles but no dice.

- The shows we saw were really good. Technical difficulties shut down Beauty & the Beast for a few minutes but it was great. Also saw Disney Believe, which we liked. Went to the balcony and had a front row view.

- Skipped our assigned restaurant the morning we got off the boat and went up to the deck 11 buffet, thinking if we left around 8am we’d be out in the calm between the storms. But it didn’t matter, it was still busy.

Well my wife and kid were sad to leave. So was I, though if I had a choice I’d pick the parks. I think we might be back soon enough, maybe when they build the three new boats they’re planning...

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom