I have a question about Kilamanjaro Safari

Mecha Figment

Original Poster
have they changed it since opening? I went this summer and i use to recall that there was a scene with a dead elephant.. and you got to see the baby as an animatroic and not just inside a box in a truck.

Does anybody else remember this or am i just imagining things.. becasue it wasn't there the last time i was.

Bytowner

Mecha Figment said:
have they changed it since opening? I went this summer and i use to recall that there was a scene with a dead elephant.. and you got to see the baby as an animatroic and not just inside a box in a truck.

Does anybody else remember this or am i just imagining things.. becasue it wasn't there the last time i was.

Hi there, yes, the show has changed since you first saw it. The storyline has changed a little since it first started. The mother elephant no longer dies and both are safe at the end of the expedition. This was done because there were numerous complaints to Disney that the death of the mother elephant was upsetting some of the children that watched the scene.

:wave:

disnyfan89

When did they change the mother elephant to not dying! Last time I was on it (Summer) It was still implyed that the mother is dead.

Iakona

disnyfan89 said:
When did they change the mother elephant to not dying! Last time I was on it (Summer) It was still implyed that the mother is dead.

We were there in January and June of 2005 and the story line was that both were found alive.

Mecha Figment

Original Poster
i think this is blatent evidence that Disney will bend over backwards and kiss it's own back side to please a few people who refuse to except the realtiy of situations.

the fact that the Elephant mother died in the first place was to let you take to heart the real problem poachin still is in Africa
Now it's just another happy ending. :brick::cry:

mitchk

I remember the dead elephant. Also, towards the end of the ride when you were chasing the poachers, wasn't there a jeep that was off to the right side that went speeding by shooting machine guns? I could have swore that was there the first time I rode it in 2001 :hammer:

Scooter

I believe they now say that the Mother (Big Red) has been shot and wounded.
They don't say one way or the other if she died from her wounds.
The baby (Little Red) is shown at the end of the safaris in the back of a truck but Big Red is nowhere around.

jakeman

I was a CM on safaris summer of '99, '00, and '02. During that time, there was audio after the capture scene during the "Waterfalls" that states that both Little Red and Big Red will be fine. They removed the wounded Big Red shortly after opening, I believe.
I haven't seen the jeep working since '02, but to be honest that's when I stopped working there and was not at the ride almost every day. All of the electronics in that poacher area (Little Red, the Warden, and the Jeep) all had a propensity for being struck by lightning. I don't know if this had anything to do with it, but just a tidbit of info.

They also removed the Warden position altogether. It used to be a live CM with a fake AK-47, after sometime after '00 (I heard 9-11, but can't confirm) it changed to a radio and sometime after '02 there was no longer a CM there at all.

I think these are the major changes that guest would notice. There are a ton of little things that have been added. Most noticeably to CMs is that they have lowered the truck speed from 12 mph now to 8 mph and there are guardrails everywhere on bridges and hills (when I started it was just "be careful" and don’t drive into the hippo pool).

Hope this helps.

Rogue71371

Mecha Figment said:
i think this is blatent evidence that Disney will bend over backwards and kiss it's own back side to please a few people who refuse to except the realtiy of situations.

the fact that the Elephant mother died in the first place was to let you take to heart the real problem poachin still is in Africa

I like the avatar Mecha Figment!

However I have to disagree with your stance. When my wife and I went to Disney a couple years ago we rode the Safari. There were 2 children that started crying because of the mother elephant. While yes I agree that this world has become a little too "PC" for its own good, this ride is something that I am glad was changed. My reasoning is this...

Children do not need to be subjected to the "real world" all the time, and Disney is one time that I am happy my son does have to hear the sometimes horrible things that go on the world. My son is 5 and really can't do anything about the poaching in Africa anyway. :lol:

kal1484

The first time I was on it was New Years Eve 98, it was awesome! They had "natives doing a dance on the plains, and live actors, not to mention it was night! :)

kiawahman

Account Suspended
this reminds me of when were chosen as part of the backstage pass show at MGM and a castmember told us not to fall down and play dead after the "air attack" because it might upset the children and Disney would get complaints from the parents

Eljay

The last few times I was on it, the shaky bridge over the crocodiles didn't shake any more. That was a cool effect.

Magic Maker

Ok kids,
I was a Kilimanjaro Safari driver July - September of this year, it was a brief memorable stint.
- The nightime safari that was mentioned was EXTREMELY low rated, the trucks still have the nighttime effects on them.
- I am thankful that Big Red is ok now
- The poachers ran out of gas and with gas prices being the way that they are they ain't comin' back for a while.. at least where we can see them.
- The bridge over the crocodiles, NEVER shook, it rattles.
- However, the bridge after the mandrills ALWAYS shakes unless something broke on it or if your driver wasn't doing their job.

I think that covers it :)

Jerm

Big Red was gone before the park opened to the public. It was around during the cast member preview, but what I recall that was gone before the park opening. I tried to look around for a report on it but can't find anything. I was at the park a few months after it opened and I know Big Red was going to be ok back then.

And no all the jeeps are driven by the drivers. They have changed the lay out of the road over the years so the drivers always have to be ready to change the route.

J

Irrawaddy Erik

Magic Maker said:
Ok kids,
I was a Kilimanjaro Safari driver July - September of this year, it was a brief memorable stint.
- The nightime safari that was mentioned was EXTREMELY low rated, the trucks still have the nighttime effects on them.
- I am thankful that Big Red is ok now
- The poachers ran out of gas and with gas prices being the way that they are they ain't comin' back for a while.. at least where we can see them.
- The bridge over the crocodiles, NEVER shook, it rattles.
- However, the bridge after the mandrills ALWAYS shakes unless something broke on it or if your driver wasn't doing their job.

I think that covers it :)
I love it LOL LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

sillyspook13

Let me clear this up once and for all. I have been on Kilimanjaro Safari many, many times when the park wasn't even opened yet. My brother-in-law was one of the first drivers trained there.

NEVER has there been a scene depicting a dead elephant and Big Red was ALWAS FINE at the end. Although the driver spiel has changed over the years, the outcome of Big Red and Little Red has always been the same. Warden Wilson has always reported that "Big Red is shot! She is WOUNDED!" Regardless of who tells you that Little Red is safe in the back of a truck (Warden with a gun or driver of your truck), Wilson has always reported that Big Red is fine and "We've got to deliver the baby elephant back to his mama."

The only thing in the ride that comes close to depicting a dead elephant is a pile of tusks at the poacher camp.

DisneyFreak529

I disagree, I think that it would really upset a little kid to see a dead elephant. I do think that since it's a family park they should bend over backwards to please a few people. Mind you I don't have kids but yet I would hate to see little kids cring over an elephant.

SilentWindODoom

I've always been wondering about this. People often talk about all this with the ending. Does anyone at all have any pictures of these things, or even of the current ending? Last time I asked I was completely ignored and the discussion continued.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom