Trip Report I found us a table at Ohana, let's go back to Disney World

I visited WDW during Food & Wine last year and I realized I never finished editing my photos. What better way to motivate myself than to write a trip report?

Who am ? I'm gsrjedi, it should say so next to this post. There's a picture attached & everything. Feel free to read my previous trip reports at the following links: My first trip report: A visit to Cars Land, The Trip Report that was 23 years in the making, & We're going to DLP, We're not?, We Are?, OK!

If you don't have hours of free-time to read about my past adventures, let me introduce the cast of characters for this trip.

gsrjedi (me) - your fantastic scribe; despite living in Arizona my whole life, my earliest Disney memories are from my first trip back in 1989

Moms (that should be self-explanatory) - my mother; she tends to downplay her Disney love, but she's been more open about her love of the Parks recently

====================================================
We live in AZ, frequently visit DLR, & were just in the World in 2012. What brought us back so soon? Two things, we really loved WDW; and on that trip Moms learned of Ohana and was sad we couldn't get a table then. So in July of '14, I was checking out the My Disney Experience app and found a table at Ohana during Food & Wine. We already had an itch to go back, plus I love food! Plus, this time I had to visit (looks around the room for Disney executives), Universal, to check out Diagon Alley.

This trip had one interesting wrinkle. For a whole host of reasons, of which I was never fully clear on, we would be staying in 4 hotels this trips. We'd certainly be seeing a lot more of the resort this time.

cgersic

Day 7 - 11/10/2014: Part 25 - I've Got the UK All To Myself

We woke up this morning and Moms wasn't feeling too good again. She decided to rest in the room while I visited Epcot. I remember I had to get something from the car, but I don't remember what. All I know is I took my camera with me.
DSC05538 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05539 by Michael, on Flickr

I opted to take a Friendship boat to Epcot instead of walking. I took a bunch of photos while waiting for the boat.
DSC05541 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05543 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05547 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05549 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05552 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05553 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05556 by Michael, on Flickr

DSC05560 by Michael, on Flickr
IMG_0257 by Michael, on Flickr

I entered Epcot via the International Gateway and World Showcase wasn't open yet. I didn't mind though, that meant empty pavilions. I headed towards Future World where I had a FP+ for Living With the Land. On the way I stopped to enjoy a basically empty United Kingdom. I enjoyed being able to take photos in the day with not as many people around. Next time I may just have to spend a morning walking through an empty World Showcase.
DSC05566 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05567 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05568 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05570 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05571 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05572 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05574 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05575 by Michael, on Flickr

Up next, I head to the "Future"
It looks so differently beautiful without the people! I'm going to do this next time!

gsrjedi

Original Poster
Day 7 – 11/10/2014: Part 27 - Last Tango in Epcot

I left the Imagination Pavilion and made my way to World Showcase. This would be my last visit to Food & Wine. I was near the Puerto Rico booth so I started there. I ordered the beef with rice ($4.50). I have it down as being just okay I think because they had these ready to go; wasn't too memorable. While I was waiting for my food a couple came up to where you pick up food and just grabbed a plate. I guess he thought it was like Costco samples. You know Disney is not doing anything for free man. The CM asked for his receipt and I guess he learned. I ate my beef and went back to Canada for some more soup.
DSC05654 by Michael, on Flickr
IMG_0260 by Michael, on Flickr - Carne guisada con arroz blanco: Slow-braised beef with Puerto Rican-grown rice (gluten free)
IMG_0261 by Michael, on Flickr - Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup

Since I had already made my way on the Canada side I decided to start back in Mexico. On the way I passed the Desserts & Champagne booth and I had to get something sweet. I chose the dessert trio ($4.00) with a creamsicle, espresso cake, & cheesecake roll. The cheesecake roll was okay, the creamsicle was good, and the espresso cake was very good; despite me not liking coffee flavoring.
DSC05658 by Michael, on Flickr - Dessert Trio: Passion fruit coconut creamsicle, blueberry lime cheesecake roll, and chocolate espresso opera cake

In Mexico I looked around the stalls a little before getting in line for The Gran Fiesta Tour. I didn't get any food since I live in Arizona with tons of Mexican food.
DSC05659 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05660 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05662 by Michael, on Flickr

I hadn't really been to the "top" part of World Showcase yet so I sped past Norway & China on my way to Germany. At the German booth I got the pasta gratin ($3.50). It was also just okay. It was supposed to have ham, but I don't recall there being much if any. The Poland booth was nearby and I stopped for what would end up being my last booth :( From there I got the kielbasa pierogi ($5.25) & the apple pie drink ($8.75). The kielbasa was very good and the apple pie drink was great. I wish I had one right now.
DSC05665 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05668 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05669 by Michael, on Flickr - Schinkennudeln: Pasta gratin with ham and cheese
DSC05670 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05671 by Michael, on Flickr - Kielbasa and potato pierogi with caramelized onions and sour cream & Frozen Szarlotka (apple pie) featuring Zubrowka Bison Grass Vodka

I continued along and did some browsing in Italy. I found this Italian candy I had bought the year before in Italy, Perugina Baci. I absolutely loved these so I had to buy a bag. I really should've bought more than one. They are like Hershey Kisses, but filled with a hazelnut filling and a whole hazelnut, basically one of the best things ever. I was ecstatic to find these. I passed the US and went to Japan to do some shopping. I looked around the main store a bit, but I was really after candy. I purchased a couple bags of candy to bring home.
DSC05672 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05676 by Michael, on Flickr

I had been to every country and checked off quite a few of my Food & Wine list. I really wanted to check out Stormalong Bay before we left and this was really the best time. I started walking out, but before I left I stopped and just took it all in for a couple minutes. World Showcase is one of my favorite parts of WDW, so just looking out over the lagoon for a couple minutes was a great way to say goodbye.
DSC05678_HDR by Michael, on Flickr

DSC05683 by Michael, on Flickr

I decided to walk back to Yacht Club and see what that was like. Probably not the best idea since my feet were already hurting, but oh well.
DSC05690_HDR by Michael, on Flickr
- Beach Club
DSC05695 by Michael, on Flickr

Up next, swimming and DHS

gsrjedi

Original Poster
Day 7 – 11/10/2014: Part 28 - Stormalong Spectacle pt.1

After resting a bit we headed down to the pool the Yacht & Beach Club share, Stormalong Bay. That's a pretty awesome hotel pool right there. It's basically a mini waterpark. It's got a big slide, lazy river, and sand on the bottom. Moms didn't go swimming, but I hopped right in.
IMG_0001 by Michael, on Flickr
IMG_0006 by Michael, on Flickr

IMG_0013 by Michael, on Flickr

IMG_0018 by Michael, on Flickr

Took another break after swimming before heading to Hollywood Studios. We loved the Osborne Spectacle of Dancing Lights last time so we were excited to find out they would be lighting up while we were there. We hopped on a Friendship Boat and headed that way.
- Swan or Dolphin Hotel

Originally our plans included an ADR for Sci-Fi Dine In a couple days earlier, but we cancelled that. So this was our first time at DHS this trip. Outside of Star Tours and The Great Movie Ride we don't have much reason to come here though. If I ever get out to a Star Wars Weekend though that will change.

DSC05703 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05707_HDR by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05704 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05705 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05710_HDR by Michael, on Flickr - Goodbye Hat

Streets of America was our priority destination. The Osborne Lights did not disappoint. We always seem to have a blast when we see them. I'd love to visit WDW during a different time of year, but I might miss the Osborne Lights too much.
DSC05716 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05717 by Michael, on Flickr
Untitled by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05719_HDR by Michael, on Flickr
IMG_0271 by Michael, on Flickr

gsrjedi

Original Poster
Day 7 – 11/10/2014: Part 28 - Stormalong Spectacle pt.2

Too much Osborne for one post
DSC05727 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05730 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05734 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05735 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05736 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05743 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05748 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05753 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05754 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05755 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05760 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05767 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05774 by Michael, on Flickr

After buying some expensive roasted nuts, Moms asked if I wanted to ride Star Tours before we left. Of course I did. We bid adieu to the Osborne Lights. Star Tours said it had a 15 minute wait. Perfect, let me hop in line. 40 minutes later I was still not chosen to be the Rebel Spy; but one of these days I will & I can buy that t-shirt.
DSC05778 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05779 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05780 by Michael, on Flickr

We were hungry by this time and Moms had a craving for some Popeye's. I found one about 20 minutes away, we'd be cutting it close though. We made our way to the park exit and caught a Friendship boat back to the Yacht Club. We didn't make it in time for some Popeye's and had to settle for Wendy's.
- Moms had to peek in to 50's Prime Time as we walked by
DSC05781 by Michael, on Flickr

Up next, we say goodbye

gsrjedi

Original Poster
Day 8 – 11/11/2014: Part 29 - A Good Old Fashioned Jamboree

I woke up pretty early, about 6:30, and for me waking up early on vacation is pretty much picture time. I got dressed and headed out to the dock for some photos. The sun was just coming out and there were two weddings getting ready, one at the Yacht Club & one across the way at the Boardwalk. It was a great way to start our last day.
DSC05782 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05783_HDR by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05786_HDR by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05790_HDR by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05794_HDR by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05797_HDR by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05800 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05809 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05814 by Michael, on Flickr

We checked out of the hotel and loaded up the car. Our flight 5, so we figured we'd spend our last morning at Magic Kingdom.
DSC05830-Edit by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05833_HDR by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05836 by Michael, on Flickr

We had no real objective, but Moms wanted to watch the Country Bear Jamboree. We slowly made our way through Adventureland and Frontierland in that direction.
DSC05840 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05843 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05847 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05848 by Michael, on Flickr

The Country Bear's hadn't started performing yet, but were about 5 minutes away from starting. We wandered around Frontierland and bought some popcorn to kill the time.
DSC05857 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05862_HDR by Michael, on Flickr

Finally, the Bears were ready to go on. We like the show and will probably make it something we do whenever we visit WDW since the Bears have moved away from California.
DSC05878 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05880 by Michael, on Flickr

gsrjedi

Original Poster
Day 8 – 11/11/2014: Part 30 - Until Next Time

After a rousing performance by the Country Bears, we had a FP+ for Haunted Mansion. It was another great ride.
DSC05890_HDR by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05896 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05901_HDR by Michael, on Flickr

Having visited the 999 happy haunts for the last time this trip we decided it was time to eat. Columbia Harbour House was right there so we figured why not. Moms got the lobster roll & I got a tuna sandwich. It was okay, nothing exceptional, but it hit the spot and wasn't terrible.
DSC05914 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05915 by Michael, on Flickr

After lunch, the Liberty Square Riverboat was pulling up and unloading. A boat ride would be a nice final ride. The riverboat gives you some nice views of Haunted Mansion & Big Thunder as you go by. Moms spent most of the ride sitting and relaxing with the views as I ran around upstairs getting photos.
DSC05923_HDR by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05926_HDR by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05929 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05943 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05947 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05959 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05959 by Michael, on Flickr

When we were booking this trip Moms was intrigued by the Fort Wilderness Cabins and wanted to check out that resort before we left. So we said goodbye to the Magic Kingdom so we could head that way. Before we could leave MK I had to get an Orange Swirl though. I'd kinda like to try a Dole Whip swirl now.
DSC05964 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05969_HDR by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05973 by Michael, on Flickr

We were expecting Fort Wilderness to have a lobby like the other resorts, but it doesn't. Just a small area to check-in and the rest of the resort is basically a campground. Not surprising really, just a little unexpected. The guard at the gate gave us a funny look when we said we were just there to check out the resort. Now I know why. We drove through the resort and it is pretty neat. I wouldn't mind taking a cross country road trip and staying there for a few nights.

With that our trip was coming to an end. We stopped at a Hess station to fill up the car and headed back to the airport. I picked up one last souvenir for my nephew at the Disney Store there since I hadn't found anything for him to that point. We had booked the flights on Moms frequent flyer miles with US Airways and had enough points to upgrade the return trip to first class. It was nice, but I don't know that I'll ever pay what they want for those seats normally.
IMG_0280 by Michael, on Flickr - US Airways 1st class meal

Up next, final thoughts

mouse_luv

I had to just come on this thread to say that I love the title. That is so something I would say lol! Also, love the pics, esp the ones of the HM from the Riverboat!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom