Pre-Trip I Feel Like I'm Forgetting Something... Where's Your Father?

55 Days to go...

Yes, it took me 10 months to finish last year's TR, let's see if I can finish this Pre-Trip Report in 55 days... Oh the pressure!

For those of you who do not know us... My beloved cast of characters:

There is me - Mary/Mom (46)

thumb_IMG_8225_1024.jpg

Ross/Daddy (47)

IMG_6923.jpg

Julia (14)

thumb_IMG_0515_1024.jpg

Hope (7)

thumb_STUDIO_PLYDSCHAR2_7499471879_1024 2.jpg

Our past adventures include:

September 2013 Trip
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/completed-this-is-autism-when-you-add-a-little-pixie-dust.873100/

September 2014 Trip
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/honey-i-blew-up-the-magic-band-completed.892800/

September 2015 Trip

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...-hopping-a-september-2015-trip-report.905518/

One Day I'll figure out how to put them in the signature.

Our next trip brings us to the WDW September 12-24 - it will be our longest trip ever! It is filled with lots of our favorites and some exciting firsts.

Like I said, today we are at the 55 day mark; however, I think I need to backtrack just a little bit...

To everyone reading - welcome aboard!

Ready... Set... Here we go!

Figment Forever

Original Poster
Let's begin last September 2015...

Ross got on the phone to book the bounce-back. We found out that our beloved FQ was not included in the free dining offer this time. Ross & I were of course heartbroken because FQ is such an awesome resort that really works for us – especially Hope, who, being Autistic, does better in smaller, more quieter spaces. But what can you do? There is no way we can afford our trip without the free dining. So we went through our choices. Coronado Springs – No. I don’t like the idea a convention area and honestly as crazy as it sounds, the Mexican theme doesn’t do it for me. CBR – NO!! Julia refuses. We had a not so nice experience there a few years back where Julia got really sick and had to be rushed to Urgent Care. So I think those memories are too difficult for her to overcome to go back. Riverside – Hmmmmm…. Ross & I spent our honeymoon at Riverside back in the day when it was Dixie Landings.. And it is FQ sister hotel. And... we would still have the boat to DTD. Hmmmm…

They also gave us a choice of Value Resorts … POP Century – STOP! Julia exploded – “POP” she called out – “Let’s go to POP… PLEASE!!!!!!”

Ross & and looked at each other. Ross didn’t care but I really did not want to go to POP. Ross priced it out and by the time we would upgrade to the regular dining plan, it just didn’t make sense to stay there. Watching Julia was like watching a balloon deflating. Ross asked her why she wanted to stay at POP so badly.

So she pleaded her case to us. She apparently saw pictures of POP in a TR that I was reading and it looked so interesting. She loves the larger than life Disney. She also researched the abandoned “Legendary Years” part of the resort which would become AoA and that intrigued her. Last year, we briefly walked through POP & AoA and she loved it. She really wanted to explore experience it.

That’s when Ross had his idea. If Julia wants to just “experience” the resort, then why don’t we – Julia, Hope & I, fly out a day earlier and spend one night at POP and then he would join us the next day at Riverside.

Did my husband just tell me to fly out to WDW without him? Ross gets very nervous – he will not drive into NYC without me. Would he really fly out solo? It took me a while to realize that he was not joking and he was not possessed. I told him it would seem silly to go for one day – very rushed. So his response was… wait for it… “Well then, go for two days.”

Before I knew it, and before Julia realized what was happening, we were booked for 2 days at POP in a room only and then on to Riverside for our 10 night package. 12 nights in Disney?? It didn’t seem real. But the plan was in motion.

steviej

They also gave us a choice of Value Resorts … POP Century – STOP! Julia exploded – “POP” she called out – “Let’s go to POP… PLEASE!!!!!!”

Ross & and looked at each other. Ross didn’t care but I really did not want to go to POP. Ross priced it out and by the time we would upgrade to the regular dining plan, it just didn’t make sense to stay there. Watching Julia was like watching a balloon deflating. Ross asked her why she wanted to stay at POP so badly.

So in Julia's defense, I'm the son and son in law of DVC owners. I stay in DVC resorts, but there's been a few trips I did with just friends or my wife. I stayed at pop once and had a BALL. Now granted, I only use the room for sleeping and showering, but the theme was AWESOME! If I had to do value again, I'd like to give AoA a shot, but if that wasn't an option, allstars is dh'ing and I'm starting pop. I really, really liked it. The theming was fantastic

LisaBelle

I bet Julia is super excited! I love that she knows about the abandoned Disney locations and researches them. I just started learning about some of them and it is very intriguing. Having 2 days of girls only sounds like a really fun plan. Looking forward to reading more about the rest of your plans.

Figment Forever

Original Poster
So in Julia's defense, I'm the son and son in law of DVC owners. I stay in DVC resorts, but there's been a few trips I did with just friends or my wife. I stayed at pop once and had a BALL. Now granted, I only use the room for sleeping and showering, but the theme was AWESOME! If I had to do value again, I'd like to give AoA a shot, but if that wasn't an option, allstars is dh'ing and I'm starting pop. I really, really liked it. The theming was fantastic

Thanks for reading! I agree with you - as much as I would LOVE to stay at Poly or AKL - I just can't image spending that much for a room where we basically sleep. We use to stay at All Star Movies and we all loved it. I think I would return there - or AoA - I think it's just something about POP that's not doing it for me... lol However, I'm looking forward to being proven wrong!

Figment Forever

Original Poster
I bet Julia is super excited! I love that she knows about the abandoned Disney locations and researches them. I just started learning about some of them and it is very intriguing. Having 2 days of girls only sounds like a really fun plan. Looking forward to reading more about the rest of your plans.

Thank you! Yes - she loves all things abandoned - but especially Disney. I am looking forward to 2 "girls only" Disney Days, but it feels strange!

Figment Forever

Original Poster
January 2016 - A New Year brings new plans...

Our original reservations would take us from Septmber 7th to 19th. Then in January I heard that IASW would be going down for refurbishment from 8/22-9/16. I know what some of you are thinking…”Hooray!” Unfortunately, that happens to be Hope’s FAVORITE ride.

IMG_6953.jpg
thumb_IMG_0500_1024.jpg

I was conflicted. At first I thought it was insane of me to even think to change the dates of our trip to accommodate her. I don’t like to avoid disappointments for her because she is Autistic. On the contrary, I use times like these for teaching experiences. Then I thought about it again. What if Laugh Floor was down? or Imagination? - 2 of Julia’s favorites. What would I do? Well, the truth is I would change it if I could. So I realized it shouldn’t be any different for Hope.

I checked with Ross and found out going a week later would work for his schedule so we called and swapped dates. Of course as we were going to call, I could no longer find the refurbishment details. I posted and found it remaining on 2 “unofficial” sites. But no one could confirm it would be down - not even Disney. We both figured why take a chance. So we changed our dates to September 12th - 24th.

Would we regret that decision?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom