I’ve had enough of snow (and high taxes)...

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
lol read "the florida move guide: the unofficial warning/guide to moving to florida:
by Ron Stack.

very enlightening. the basic premise is that almost some thing like 70% of the folks who relocate to florida from the northeast end up moving back.

Now I'm not sure the love of disney is enough to base a very expensive decision like moving on. Visiting any vacation destination is light years different from living there especially at your young age.

so I am about to retire and like most older folks I'm tired of the snow and cold also (Pa/NY'er),

tread very carefully. I spend a least a year doing some serious research.

My dad just saw where NY may add 55 cents tax to gas and he said if it happens he is moving to Florida.
We own 4 houses and a farm and he uses gas like crazy especially for lawn mowers and tractors.
He says he's selling 3 houses and moving to Florida and coming back for farming season only.
We'll see if it actually happens but if it does its my path to move close to Disney :)

Goofyernmost

When I first moved to North Carolina it was to the Town of Cary (population 163,000)! I knew nothing about it except my daughters lived there. The town was named after Samuel Fenton Cary, a temperance leader and Union general from Ohio. The locals and even us newbies jokingly called CARY the Containment Area for Relocated Yankee's. And it is! The city instantly reminded me of New England with improvements. People are arriving by the truck load every year. I have moved to Raleigh which is a little less upscale as Cary but the cost of rentals was sky high in Cary. Now myself and my oldest daughter live here in Raleigh and my youngest lives in Cary still. And are amazed at how high the value of houses are now. Cary is located connected geographically to Raleigh, Durham and Apex to the south. After being around here a little over 10 years now, I prefer this immediate area to any other place in the state. They spend as much on landscaping and flowers as the north spend on snow removal and road repair. It is a very pretty area with hundreds of Green Way walking paths and small ponds and other scenic things. Although it does get chilly in the winter it is usually in the 40's and occasionally can get down to the 20's. But if you added those days all up it's probably not much over two weeks out of the year. It is amusing to we northerners how as soon as the temperature reaches 49 degrees, out come the Parka, knit hats, scarfs and mitten's of the natives or anyone that has been her over 15 years. It is comical to see some dressed for a Nor'easter from the waist up and still wearing short pants. I brought my winter coat with me and it hasn't left the closet for 10 years.

1620565958719.png 1620566112568.png

Last edited:

donsullivan

Premium Member
I'm originally from central MA but have moved around the country from NC to FL to TX and back to FL over the years. I'm often asked by folks considering a move to FL about whether I would do it again and yes, this will be my home for the rest of my days. I've lived in Orlando since 2004 now and I typically suggest a few things from someone considering a move here:

- Stop spending your central Florida vacations at Walt Disney World or in the tourist corridor bubble. The next few visits to central Florida, find a hotel or even better and AirBnB away from the tourist corridor in an area you think feels right for you to live. Take a few days out of your trip to just experience that community and area to get a feel for traffic and whether the stores and restaurants you enjoy are close by. Go into a grocery store in that community to compare prices to what you're used to. Far too many people move here and move back learn they didn't understand what Orlando really is- the only perspective they have is in the tourist bubble which is not the real Orlando.
- Orlando has all of the normal issues of crime, etc.. of every medium sized city in the US. When you have a very low wage economy, there is certain baggage that comes along with that. Central Florida has some great neighborhoods to live and a whole lot of not-so-great neighborhoods to live in.
- Orlando is made up of a very diverse population and some I know who have moved here from less diverse areas seemed to have difficulty with that. It is sad this is still an issue, but I know a family who moved here from CT who moved back in 2 years because (in the end) the diversity of the population was too much for them. They were honest, they said that was the reason.
- Take some time to decide what type(s) of community features are important for you as you begin selecting a region of central FL that might feel like home for you. For nearly 10 years before moving here, I spent two or more days out of every trip driving around the city to learn about various communities, understand traffic, what's where, etc.. before selecting the area I wanted to live in. For example, my work has traditionally required lots of travel so I needed easy and convenient access to the airport but also wanted to be near the parks (but not right next to them). Those requirements helped me to choose a location that worked for me. So when I did move here, I knew exactly where I wanted to live and why. As a result, while I rented houses when I first moved here due to the craziness of the mid to late 00's housing boom I've lived in the same community since I moved here and outside of a lottery win, I'll likely spend the rest of my days here.
- Compare the cost of your current car insurance and homeowners insurance to what they would be in FL. If you can even get it, homeowners insurance in Florida can be very expensive. And we are seeing reports of an upcoming huge jump in rates this year that I’m bracing for. And make sure you understand the concept of hurricane deductibles which can be a horrific surprise if you are impacted.
- If schools are important to your needs learn about the schools and their scores in the city as you consider locations. If one has school age children this should obviously be an important criteria for selecting a location.
- While it seems cool to live 'right next to Disney World', make sure you understand what that means when considering your location to live. If you live too close to that corridor, everything in life from gas, to groceries will be at tourist prices making everything you do more expensive. And then there is the epic tourist season traffic that will absolutely make you crazy. I usually recommend finding an area of the city that feels closer to the community you live in now to make things feel more comfortable when you get here. Remember, 20-40 minutes drive, decided on a whim to visit WDW for the afternoon is vastly different than planning a trip for 6 months. You don't need to live right next door to still be close by.
- Traffic in central Florida can be beyond insane at times and lots of the major roads are under construction right now. Actually it seems some have been under construction for the last 3 decades or more. I was reminded just yesterday as some fool with NY tags slammed on the brakes on I4 to cut across 4 lanes for an exit. On any give day (in normal times) almost 50% of the population of the city are non-residents visiting for either business or leisure and they've all seemingly forgotten how to drive.
- Oh, and if you're buying a home get ready for aggressive HOA's. It doesn't matter what you think of them, pretty much any community built here since the early '90's will have an HOA and some can be quite aggressive in their 'enforcement'. This can be a major headache for those who will be unable to live with the restrictions imposed by them.

Just some thoughts on some of the big picture things to think about when considering this move. It seems like a wondrous thing to 'live near Disney World' but you still have to live a normal day-to-day life and need to be sure that life is comfortable when you are running to the grocery store or dropping the kids at school, etc..

Last edited:

bhg469

Hunters Creek on the edge of Orlando/Kissimmee is a nicer area than the areas it borders with. Just get used to the new Brightline train from the airport straight to WDW that runs by Hunters Creek and the 417 toll road that will be operating in a few years.
We liked it so much we put in an application to an apartment in hunters creek today on a long weekend visit. We will be floridians by mid June. The only thing I will truly miss is Wegmans. Publix is nice but it's truly not even in the same category when it comes to grocery stores.

Lilofan

We liked it so much we put in an application to an apartment in hunters creek today on a long weekend visit. We will be floridians by mid June. The only thing I will truly miss is Wegmans. Publix is nice but it's truly not even in the same category when it comes to grocery stores.
It is about 45 min away but New Englanders who moved to Central FL go to Boston's Fish House in Winter Park . You should check it out. Nothing will come close to Wegmans. You will get used to Publix, Target, Wal Mart or the Latino supermarkets ( Sedanos, Bravo etc ) so just practice up on your Spanish. You can PM me for what's it really like in the general area.

Last edited:

DISR

To each their own, but I always find the desire to move to Orlando because of Disney interesting. To me, it sounds good on the surface, but then you start to dig a little deeper: Disney is a magical escape from reality. If you live there, you are mixing in real life. I like going into the bubble and forgetting about life for a few days. Going for a day trip would not be the same for me. Living too close would eliminate the fun of the anticipation and the transition from the real world to the most magical place on earth. I too consider a move to FL from time to time, but would rank Orlando as a lower choice because Disney is there. I want to preserve it as a escape from day to day life. That said, the airport, central location, medical care, and amenities outside of Disney do make it a compelling consideration. One day when I get more serious about the research and actual move, we will see where Orlando really racks and stacks. I do agree that I would miss Wegmans though...outside of Disney, I think my wife considers that the most magical place on earth.

Songbird76

I'm originally from central MA but have moved around the country from NC to FL to TX and back to FL over the years. I'm often asked by folks considering a move to FL about whether I would do it again and yes, this will be my home for the rest of my days. I've lived in Orlando since 2004 now and I typically suggest a few things from someone considering a move here:

- Stop spending your central Florida vacations at Walt Disney World or in the tourist corridor bubble. The next few visits to central Florida, find a hotel or even better and AirBnB away from the tourist corridor in an area you think feels right for you to live. Take a few days out of your trip to just experience that community and area to get a feel for traffic and whether the stores and restaurants you enjoy are close by. Go into a grocery store in that community to compare prices to what you're used to. Far too many people move here and move back learn they didn't understand what Orlando really is- the only perspective they have is in the tourist bubble which is not the real Orlando.
- Orlando has all of the normal issues of crime, etc.. of every medium sized city in the US. When you have a very low wage economy, there is certain baggage that comes along with that. Central Florida has some great neighborhoods to live and a whole lot of not-so-great neighborhoods to live in.
- Orlando is made up of a very diverse population and some I know who have moved here from less diverse areas seemed to have difficulty with that. It is sad this is still an issue, but I know a family who moved here from CT who moved back in 2 years because (in the end) the diversity of the population was too much for them. They were honest, they said that was the reason.
- Take some time to decide what type(s) of community features are important for you as you begin selecting a region of central FL that might feel like home for you. For nearly 10 years before moving here, I spent two or more days out of every trip driving around the city to learn about various communities, understand traffic, what's where, etc.. before selecting the area I wanted to live in. For example, my work has traditionally required lots of travel so I needed easy and convenient access to the airport but also wanted to be near the parks (but not right next to them). Those requirements helped me to choose a location that worked for me. So when I did move here, I knew exactly where I wanted to live and why. As a result, while I rented houses when I first moved here due to the craziness of the mid to late 00's housing boom I've lived in the same community since I moved here and outside of a lottery win, I'll likely spend the rest of my days here.
- Compare the cost of your current car insurance and homeowners insurance to what they would be in FL. If you can even get it, homeowners insurance in Florida can be very expensive. And we are seeing reports of an upcoming huge jump in rates this year that I’m bracing for. And make sure you understand the concept of hurricane deductibles which can be a horrific surprise if you are impacted.
- If schools are important to your needs learn about the schools and their scores in the city as you consider locations. If one has school age children this should obviously be an important criteria for selecting a location.
- While it seems cool to live 'right next to Disney World', make sure you understand what that means when considering your location to live. If you live too close to that corridor, everything in life from gas, to groceries will be at tourist prices making everything you do more expensive. And then there is the epic tourist season traffic that will absolutely make you crazy. I usually recommend finding an area of the city that feels closer to the community you live in now to make things feel more comfortable when you get here. Remember, 20-40 minutes drive, decided on a whim to visit WDW for the afternoon is vastly different than planning a trip for 6 months. You don't need to live right next door to still be close by.
- Traffic in central Florida can be beyond insane at times and lots of the major roads are under construction right now. Actually it seems some have been under construction for the last 3 decades or more. I was reminded just yesterday as some fool with NY tags slammed on the brakes on I4 to cut across 4 lanes for an exit. On any give day (in normal times) almost 50% of the population of the city are non-residents visiting for either business or leisure and they've all seemingly forgotten how to drive.
- Oh, and if you're buying a home get ready for aggressive HOA's. It doesn't matter what you think of them, pretty much any community built here since the early '90's will have an HOA and some can be quite aggressive in their 'enforcement'. This can be a major headache for those who will be unable to live with the restrictions imposed by them.

Just some thoughts on some of the big picture things to think about when considering this move. It seems like a wondrous thing to 'live near Disney World' but you still have to live a normal day-to-day life and need to be sure that life is comfortable when you are running to the grocery store or dropping the kids at school, etc..
The HOA thing is terrible from what I've heard. I have a friend who moved from Ft. Lauderdale to Kissimmee and while they love their house, the HOA has really caused some health problems for her. She was constantly getting in trouble for tiny little things like if she happened to be doing yardwork and had a bin visible from the street, she'd get a fine for it. Or she had put some plants in that were supposed to be good for bees and butterflies and the HOA made her take them out because they weren't on the approved list. She had to spend so much time fighting the HOA and apparently some of the things weren't even legal for them to require because law allows for any native plants, but the HOA had too much power to really do much about it. And she said the same thing....pretty much every community has an HOA so you can't just go find a house outside of one. That said, I think she likes living there in Kissimmee...she finally gave up trying to take on the HOA and just abides by their strict rules, even if they aren't in accordance with state laws.

John park hopper

The HOA thing is terrible from what I've heard. I have a friend who moved from Ft. Lauderdale to Kissimmee and while they love their house, the HOA has really caused some health problems for her. She was constantly getting in trouble for tiny little things like if she happened to be doing yardwork and had a bin visible from the street, she'd get a fine for it. Or she had put some plants in that were supposed to be good for bees and butterflies and the HOA made her take them out because they weren't on the approved list. She had to spend so much time fighting the HOA and apparently some of the things weren't even legal for them to require because law allows for any native plants, but the HOA had too much power to really do much about it. And she said the same thing....pretty much every community has an HOA so you can't just go find a house outside of one. That said, I think she likes living there in Kissimmee...she finally gave up trying to take on the HOA and just abides by their strict rules, even if they aren't in accordance with state laws.
Moral of the story---- read the HOA before you buy

donsullivan

Premium Member
When I bought my house I had to sign an acknowledgment that I read and agreed to abide by the HOA rules. you cannot complete the sale without signing.

one of the biggest issues with mine is going through the process to get ‘permission’ before any significant changes are made to anything visible from the street. They get hyper aggressive if you make the changes without approval. one of the key benefits of the HOA is maintaining the standards of the community so it doesn’t become run down due to lack of proper maintenance. in mine, your trash cans cannot be stored in an area that is visible from the street for any reason. They prevent a lot of issues like unregistered cars on the lawn, or purple houses, etc. which is a good thing for everyone. When it comes to plants, they don’t want certain species that can attract wildlife into the residential areas for safety of families. But, if you are used to doing what you want on ‘your‘ property, they’ll feel super oppressive to you.

John park hopper

My son was going to buy a piece of property near me (in the country) to build a house found out there was an HOA with ridiculous rules told them to forget it. Personally I don't want anyone telling me what I can and can't do on my property I paid for.

Lilofan

If I could convince my wife to move....

I would be in a U-Haul to Charleston SC or Savannah GA, or Amelia Island so fast your head would spin. Getting out of NJ, the cold, the taxes, the political climate, woooooo, what a fantasy.
What's stopping you, you can convince her. Just get used to a different way of life and not the Jersey high stress lifestyle. Don't expect to find the NJ quality bagels, diners, pizza, medical care, etc .

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
If I could convince my wife to move....

I would be in a U-Haul to Charleston SC or Savannah GA, or Amelia Island so fast your head would spin. Getting out of NJ, the cold, the taxes, the political climate, woooooo, what a fantasy.
Same! She may come around though! After 5 years of marriage, my husband is finally looking at moving. He doesn’t want to go more than 8 hours away from where we are now in case he needed to get back for whatever reason, but I’m okay with that. We are actually heading to Mooresville NC in 2 weeks to check out neighborhoods! We also like Columbia, SC, or Raleigh, NC. Maybe even Myrtle, but we’ll see :)

John park hopper

Same! She may come around though! After 5 years of marriage, my husband is finally looking at moving. He doesn’t want to go more than 8 hours away from where we are now in case he needed to get back for whatever reason, but I’m okay with that. We are actually heading to Mooresville NC in 2 weeks to check out neighborhoods! We also like Columbia, SC, or Raleigh, NC. Maybe even Myrtle, but we’ll see :)
I live in a small town (750 people) 30 mile north of Charleston-been here 40 yrs and love it. Houses have to be on minimum 1 acre . Historic area has restrictions but outside you can build what you want and live how you want.

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I live in a small town (750 people) 30 mile north of Charleston-been here 40 yrs and love it. Houses have to be on minimum 1 acre . Historic area has restrictions but outside you can build what you want and live how you want.
that sounds lovely. I’d love to find a beautiful old house. I some gorgeous ones in Davidson. I love the sound of 1 acre of land. I have .5 at my current home and I’d love more space. Thanks!

lazyboy97o

As described though, there are associations and board members who themselves do not read the covenants, laws and regulations and assume they have far more power than is granted by any of them, or worse they disagree with them and just ignore them. By state law associations cannot prohibit “Florida friendly” landscaping.

bhg469

To each their own, but I always find the desire to move to Orlando because of Disney interesting. To me, it sounds good on the surface, but then you start to dig a little deeper: Disney is a magical escape from reality. If you live there, you are mixing in real life. I like going into the bubble and forgetting about life for a few days. Going for a day trip would not be the same for me. Living too close would eliminate the fun of the anticipation and the transition from the real world to the most magical place on earth. I too consider a move to FL from time to time, but would rank Orlando as a lower choice because Disney is there. I want to preserve it as a escape from day to day life. That said, the airport, central location, medical care, and amenities outside of Disney do make it a compelling consideration. One day when I get more serious about the research and actual move, we will see where Orlando really racks and stacks. I do agree that I would miss Wegmans though...outside of Disney, I think my wife considers that the most magical place on earth.
Of the top reasons for us to move, the parks were low. When annual passes are on sale again we are probably going to get the Epcot after 4 pass as the parks do nothing for us anymore. The reduced hours and constant need to plan every moment has made us only wish to go with our niece. Maybe I would get passes again if MK was open until 10 or later every night. For me sundown is when that park comes to life. For us as home owners, the draw is insanely low property taxes, no state income tax, our ideal weather and then the option to go to the parks are why we are doing the move.

Songbird76

When I bought my house I had to sign an acknowledgment that I read and agreed to abide by the HOA rules. you cannot complete the sale without signing.

one of the biggest issues with mine is going through the process to get ‘permission’ before any significant changes are made to anything visible from the street. They get hyper aggressive if you make the changes without approval. one of the key benefits of the HOA is maintaining the standards of the community so it doesn’t become run down due to lack of proper maintenance. in mine, your trash cans cannot be stored in an area that is visible from the street for any reason. They prevent a lot of issues like unregistered cars on the lawn, or purple houses, etc. which is a good thing for everyone. When it comes to plants, they don’t want certain species that can attract wildlife into the residential areas for safety of families. But, if you are used to doing what you want on ‘your‘ property, they’ll feel super oppressive to you.
Yeah, that was the problem my friend had. She wasn't storing her bins in a visible spot, but had the one out while she was doing yard work and was using it. Someone from the HOA happened to go by and see the bin, and they fined her for improper storage. But it sounds like the head person on the HOA had it out for her and was watching for her to bring the bin out so she could write her up. My friend was storing them in her garage, but when she was actively using it, it was out for an hour or something, and the HOA person waited for that, then went and took a picture and fined her for it.
As for the plants, there are laws about what they can require or restrict, too. The state law apparently says they HAVE to allow native plants and grasses, but the HOA went against that and required a certain kind of grass that is not really compatible with the climate there and doesn't grow well. My friend tried to fight it, quoting the law, but I guess they kind of rely on the fact that people won't have the money to take them to court to enforce the law, so unless she wanted a long, drawn out law suit that was super expensive, she had to give it up. She probably would have won the suit, but she couldn't afford a lawyer and all that. Unless they get a majority of homeowners to collectively act against the HOA in that way, they don't stand much of a chance. It's unfortunate, but it depends on who is in charge.
My friend also had major problems with someone in the neighborhood who wouldn't keep their dogs restrained and were always chasing everything under the sun. There are leash laws, but this person ignored them and the dogs would make a beeline for her yard as soon as they were let out, and they were somewhat aggressive, but no one would do anything about it. And she LOVES animals and has had all kinds of pets....rabbits, dogs, ducks, etc, so dogs wouldn't bother her but for the fact that they were aggressive and kept coming to her yard.

It all sounds unbelievably stressful and I don't think I'd be able to handle that. The idea of moving there is intriguing, but I think I'd rather go somewhere a little bit further away from WDW and get annual passes to get discounts and such, rather than live right there and have to deal with HOAs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom