Hypothetical: If Ellen's Energy Adventure was still operational when...

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Original Poster
...Alex Trebek sadly passed away, what do you think Disney would have done with it?

Do you think they'd close out of respect, then find a way to change the movie, or leave it open?

I think this one is unique because Alex Trebek is playing himself, he's not acting in a fictional role exactly.

For example, if someone else who plays a character in a movie passes away, the "character" isn't dead, just the actor playing them.

Thoughts?

mergatroid

...Alex Trebek sadly passed away, what do you think Disney would have done with it?

Do you think they'd close out of respect, then find a way to change the movie, or leave it open?

I think this one is unique because Alex Trebek is playing himself, he's not acting in a fictional role exactly.

For example, if someone else who plays a character in a movie passes away, the "character" isn't dead, just the actor playing them.

Thoughts?
I'm not sure why anyone would expect them to close it really? If the man himself had shown no regrets in doing this attraction which he was paid for, I'm not sure why keeping showing it would be seen as a bad move by Disney (or any company)? When actors pass away the movies they've appeared in aren't suddenly stopped from being produced and sold, certainly not unless they were killed making that movie or similar. If my father was in a Disney attraction and passed away in a manner that had no connection with that company, I wouldn't expect or want it removed from the park. The great movie ride featured many animatronics of actors who are deceased, playing themselves in different scenes. For instance when we saw Humphrey Bogart and John Wayne the narration introduced them as themselves, the scene was from a movie yet we were told their names rather than the character they played.

At a push I could see Disney closing the attraction for one day being a gesture to the relatives, as if to say "We'll close the attraction today as a mark of respect". However right after the death of a loved one I doubt the families main concern is whether people are seeing their loved one on a screen in a theme park, so I don't see them expecting Disney to suddenly make changes or seeing them not doing as being offensive.

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

Thoughts?

Disney would have announced the attraction will be operating on a "seasonal" basis.

The lobby would have become a meet 'n greet space.

The pavilion would have otherwise sat empty for years.

Then they would have replaced it.

In short, Trebek's passing would have been an excuse to save on operating costs.

mergatroid

I see your point regarding the Great Movie Ride actors....hmm 🤔
To be honest I wouldn't have even factored them in if it wasn't for you making a point of it being unique about Alex Trebek. I assume the idea of removing a scene when an actor sadly passes is because you think it may upset a family member of theirs? I can't think of any other reason. That being the case I can't see how a family member would see the difference whether their dead relative was playing themselves or a character, it's still their relatives being used regardless of who they were portraying. It's not as though the family member wouldn't know it was their relative if they used a different name and put on a different accent, it's still them.

I suppose the answer is "who knows" or "it depends on the feelings of the relatives"? Anything else is you or I projecting how we would feel and setting our own parameters of whether it makes a difference whether they were in character or not. It's an interesting debate though with no right or wrong answers and just opinions (though I'm right and you're wrong :D in this case)

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Original Poster
It wasn't even that, as much as Disney is considered a bit of "escapism" while also being the idea that you're not just (necessarily) watching a pre-recorded movie, but that everything is happening in real time, so to speak. So in that case it feels different, at least IMO

Goofyernmost

To be honest I wouldn't have even factored them in if it wasn't for you making a point of it being unique about Alex Trebek. I assume the idea of removing a scene when an actor sadly passes is because you think it may upset a family member of theirs? I can't think of any other reason. That being the case I can't see how a family member would see the difference whether their dead relative was playing themselves or a character, it's still their relatives being used regardless of who they were portraying. It's not as though the family member wouldn't know it was their relative if they used a different name and put on a different accent, it's still them.

I suppose the answer is "who knows" or "it depends on the feelings of the relatives"? Anything else is you or I projecting how we would feel and setting our own parameters of whether it makes a difference whether they were in character or not. It's an interesting debate though with no right or wrong answers and just opinions (though I'm right and you're wrong :D in this case)
Wasn't Ellen playing herself along with Bill Nye the Science Guy. Only Jamie Lee Curtis and whomever was playing Einstein were playing a part.

celluloid

Thoughts?

It did not stop them from similar situations before. I don't think Disney has cared in a long time if something looks dated.

On the contrary, they brought back Captain EO after MJ died to bill it is a tribute memorial.

As much as Trebek was playing..himself, a host is a host version of themselves, not their true self.

JIMINYCR

Disney probably would have made a tribute statement regarding Trebeks long time status as Jeopardy’s host, his professionalism, his contribution to America’s entertainment, mentioning his Disney role and keep the attraction running. Guests would have continued riding and enjoying the part he played and not thought about his death as a downer to the ride.
Actors, musicians and other entertainers have their works continue on after their death. Sometimes adding to their fame more than when they were alive. We do it to honor them and allow them to continue giving us pleasure and enjoyment long after they have left us.
Many performers want to do a Disney role just to be forever tied to Disney in some way.

Cmdr_Crimson

The only thing that lasted longer than the attraction was Alex's mustache..🤣
EEhyA5hXoAE5CKq.jpg

Also former Today show and all round funny man Willard Scott landed his voice in the KNRG segments as well...Not only that he previewed Malestrom when it first opened..

Last edited:

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Profit. Just like they did to practically celebrate the death of Michael Jackson and sell some more Captain EO Merch at multiple parks... Epcot specifically for 5 straight years. lol.

Robbiem

I guess they could have gotten around it by the Jeopardy scenes being in a dream so Ellen is remembering an ideal show

RollerCoaster

Thoughts?
Using your logic maybe they should've closed Disneyland after Walt Disney died.

It's ridiculous to suggest an attraction, story, movie, television show, or anything has to end after the main character passes away to show respect. That's certainly one way to erase the memory of someone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom