Hurricanes vs. Winter Storms

JMishy

Original Poster
Hey guys! I have a question...

My husband, brother and I were all having a debate about FL weather. They were saying they'd never move down there because of all the hurricanes and it was far too dangerous. I agreed that I thought hurricanes were very dangerous and deadly, but that it's dangerous to live up here too (ME/NH). We have snow six months out of the year, so it's dangerous to drive a lot. Accidents in vehicles are the #1 reason for deaths in the winter. We get at least two Nor'easters a year which are described as "...storms that have the potential to inflict more damage than many hurricanes because the high storm surge and high winds can last from 12 hours to 3 days, while the duration of hurricanes ranges from 6 to 12 hours." Obviously, this doesn't even include the ice storms, blizzards and regular winter storms we have to endure. I actually don't even remember one year without at least 2-3 power outages due to winter storms and I've lived here for 17 years.

I guess my question to y'all is: Do you think it's dangerous to live in FL? Is what y'all are experiencing this year normal? Or are there some years where things are really quiet?

Thanks in advance!!

Tim S.

Here's another thing to think about...

Even without hurricanes, Florida is the lightning capital of the country with the highest rate of lightning deaths.

miles1

I've lived here in the northeast for nearly all my life (Connecticut). As I'm growing older I find it's more of a quality of life issue more than a danger issue.

Sure, the Nor'easters and blizzards can be dangerous if you are on the immediate coast. But if you're five miles inland they are more of a pain in the buttocks than anything. I just find that being cooped up indoors four or five months out of the year is really getting to me. Not to mention shoveling snow, the bone-chilling cold, and giving my hard earned dollars to the utility companies in order to stay comfortable. Most employers will close down for an approching hurricane in Florida, but here we are forced to report to work in nor'easters, blizzards, and often ice storms. Because of the drastic variations in elevation and the proximity to the coast the weather can be considerably different in just a ten mile area. When your boss looks out the window at his house, its raining, but at your home six miles away, there's eight inches of snow or ice. And, while Florida utility companies brought in additional crews from other states to restore power, our utility companies just get to it whenever they feel like it.

Please, don't get me going on the idiots that can't drive in the snow....

In Florida, the weather is beautiful, if hot, ninety five percent of the time. You can do outdoor activities year-round. The cost of living in most areas is a lot less. There is a lot more to do for recreation.

As for the hurricanes, I'm sure the people that have been hit by the latest onslaught are undergoing undue misery right now. But, if I had my home properly insured and an evacuation plan for my family, I could live with a continued risk of an occasional hurricane.

We do plan on moving down within a few years, and this year's weather hasn't discouraged us.

Tim S.

I totally agree with Miles1 and up until a few months ago I was also looking forward to retiring full-time to FL someday. However, after what I saw my in-laws go through in Punta Gorda (they live there year-round) I believe the ultimate solution is to be a snowbird: enjoy the warmth & sun of FL during the winter and enjoy the more temperate spring, summer, and early falls here in the NE.

I got to see Punta Gorda a couple of days after Charley hit and what those people experienced is a LOT worse than any winter storm can dish out. When you don't have water and/or electricity for days on end, not to mention stores nearby to shop for even the basic needs, it's a REAL quality of life issue.

By the way, my in-laws are putting their house on the market next year. They never want to go through another hurricance season again. Being a snowbird now seems like a much better idea.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Me.....I'd actually rather be up in the NE and live with blizzards than these darn hurricanes.

Don't think living in FL is all fun and games....we've got these hurricanes to deal with for a couple months, there's always thunderstorms and things of the sort, it's very hot and humid, and we're sadly ranked #3 in the crime rate list. I, as well as many of my friends, can't wait to get out of here in two years.

Plus, there is the fact that there is NOTHING to do here.....I say that this is the most boring state on the planet. All you have is Orlando and the beach, not to mention a few nice golf courses. :lol:

Boo's Mom

NemoRocks78 said:
Me.....I'd actually rather be up in the NE and live with blizzards than these darn hurricanes.

Don't think living in FL is all fun and games....we've got these hurricanes to deal with for a couple months, there's always thunderstorms and things of the sort, it's very hot and humid, and we're sadly ranked #3 in the crime rate list. I, as well as many of my friends, can't wait to get out of here in two years.

Plus, there is the fact that there is NOTHING to do here.....I say that this is the most boring state on the planet. All you have is Orlando and the beach, not to mention a few nice golf courses. :lol:

Come live here in Virginia for a few years! :lol: :wave:

kal1484

I've been in numberous blizzards/snow storms, and I have been through 2 hurricanes, and about to reach my third. I'd rather be here than stuck in my house for a week with no heat, and no where to go.

WDWScottieBoy

PhotoDave219 said:
Thats funny.... Then again, its why i moved from Virginia. ALthough i miss having VA plates on my car...

And I'm moving from IL to FL because I hate winter and have been wanting FL plates on my car in forever. Not that the IL ones are ugly (at least the new ones are cool, the old ones were ugly), but the FL one has an orange on it, that's awesome! I'll take a hurricane over a winter storm anyday. I actually want to be in a hurricane!

SpongeScott

Having lived in both areas (Michigan and Florida), I'd rather go through a hurricane. Yes, it can be more locally devastating, but a hurricane will come and go for the most part (unless it's moving 2-3 mph like Frances did) while a winter storm results can linger for weeks. I guess it's all in what kind of fury from Mother Nature you prefer.

As for Florida itself, it looks like 10 million plus people don't mind it.

WDWScottieBoy

NemoRocks78 said:
Scott, have you seen the new "MyFlorida.com" plates? :hurl:

Actually I think I did. I was there at the end of July/beginning of August and remember seeing about 10 different types of FL plates. Are the "MyFlorida.com" plates going to be used for any new plates or is that an option. I'd rather have the regular plates with the orange in the middle. I'm going to see if their site has the plate on it, if not, can you attach a photo for me to see it?

NemoRocks78

Seized
WDWScottieBoy said:
Actually I think I did. I was there at the end of July/beginning of August and remember seeing about 10 different types of FL plates. Are the "MyFlorida.com" plates going to be used for any new plates or is that an option. I'd rather have the regular plates with the orange in the middle. I'm going to see if their site has the plate on it, if not, can you attach a photo for me to see it?

Nope, those are standard plates now. I'll go out right now and get a photo for you. :)

WDWScottieBoy

I love that photo, I've seen it many times! Always good to have comic relief in a situation like this. I just checked a website and found what it looks like. I don't mind it that much, heck as long as it has the word Florida on there and a picture of the state (and they kept the oranges, but I like the old plate better IMO) then I'm happy. Maybe someone who kept their old plates would be willing to give me one of those?!? :lol: Maybe a new plate will be "Home of the Hurricanes" unless UoM has it already because of it being their school mascot. Oh well, I still love FL. (And I think Michigan has the ugliest plates, the plain blue, :hurl: )

FutureCEO

Living in RI and going throught hurricans and snow storms, I would much rather have a snow storm cuase i like snow too. I like the heat too.

About people driving, O vey, people are horrible at driving. they dont care about others just them

NemoRocks78

Seized
Living in RI and going throught hurricans and snow storms, I would much rather have a snow storm cuase i like snow too. I like the heat too.

That is the way I am, except I hate heat. Some people think I'm crazy, but I love the cold weather. On my next ski trip I swear I will wear shorts the entire time. :lol:

Here you go Scott, please excuse my horrible editing skills..... :lol:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/hthbellhop/cool.jpg

EDIT: Looks like you already found a photo of it. :)

tigsmom

Having lived in NY my entire life and having visited Florida in the dead of winter I can assure you its much nicer down south.
I think I could put up with the possibility of the aftermath of a rather fast moving hurricane much better than the certainty of ice storms & blizzards that go on for days. We are subject to Nor'easters which are winter hurricanes, but the effects seem to last longer. A few years back we were hit with 17 storms in a row (every Thursday & Monday)...I had a 15 ft high wall of snow at the end of my drive in May!
The weather patterns that the South is experiencing now are out of the ordinary as so many large hurricanes usually do not make landfall so close together, but it does make you stop and think.

We are hoping to move to Florida within the next few years so we will just have to get used to it. :wave:

JMishy

Original Poster
Yes, our snow banks don't melt until at least April/May. And it does get a bit tiring shoveling out our truck time after time... This is during one snow storm after we had already unburried our truck. About two hours had passed and it was burried again.

buriedtruck2.jpg

I'm not a huge fan of snow.. :hurl:

NemoRocks78

Seized
Hurricane Season Has Some Reconsidering Living In Florida
POSTED: 11:44 pm EDT September 24, 2004
UPDATED: 12:03 am EDT September 25, 2004

A fourth hurricane projected to hit Florida this weekend has some residents reconsidering whether or not they want to continue living in the state, according to a Local 6 News report.

A Local 6 News exclusive survey found 31 percent of people asked said this year's storm season has caused them to think about leaving.

However, 69 percent of those surveyed said no, that they have not thought about moving away from Florida.

Together, Hurricanes Ivan, Charley and Frances have already caused billions of dollars of damage and at least 70 deaths in the state.

A single state hasn't been hit by four hurricanes in a single season since Texas in 1886.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom