Hurricane Milton coming to FL 10/9

Touchdown

Original Poster
P
My friends just lost their home in Tampa during Helene due to flooding and many are hurting.
I hope they have plans to get the hell out of Dodge if the forecast doesn’t change. I plan on canceling my original flight and making my departure day change official by tomorrow.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
This storm is unusual in that’s it is taking an easterly track. That’s actually good in that it’s a fast mover. This prevents extreme intensification and diminishes the storm surge threat along the coast.

Timing appears to be Tuesday into Wednesday with the storm in the Atlantic by Wednesday morning.

Lilofan

P

I hope they have plans to get the hell out of Dodge if the forecast doesn’t change. I plan on canceling my original flight and making my departure day change official by tomorrow.
They live right on the Gulf waters edge and stay in their empty home and the whole neighborhood has home contents piled up in front of everyone's home since everything in the homes are total loss including many cars. So far no garbage / debris pick up and don't expect it anytime soon. This would be catastrophic if possible high surge amounts and predicted Cat 2 comes through Tampa and surrounds suburbs again next week and moves across the state to Cocoa Beach.

Last edited:

Touchdown

Original Poster
This storm is unusual in that’s it is taking an easterly track. That’s actually good in that it’s a fast mover. This prevents extreme intensification and diminishes the storm surge threat along the coast.

Timing appears to be Tuesday into Wednesday with the storm in the Atlantic by Wednesday morning.
You’re off by a day Wed-Thursday, according to NHC. Landfall late Wed morning.

vikescaper

They live right on the Gulf waters edge and stay in their empty home and the whole neighborhood has home contents piled up in front of everyone's home since everything in the homes are total loss including many cars. So far no garbage / debris pick up and don't expect it anytime soon. This would be catastrophic if possible high surge amounts and predicted Cat 2 comes through Tampa and surrounds suburbs again next week and moves across to Cocoa Beach.
In St. Petersburg, they are scheduled to start picking up debris this coming Monday. I don’t know if Milton will change this plan but I am thankful that my neighborhood wasn’t impacted to hard. I know several people at work that got hit hard and I am worried about them with this storm.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
You’re off by a day Wed-Thursday, according to NHC. Landfall late Wed morning.
The wind fields and storm cells are strongest and extend furthest to the north and east. The impact of the storms are most felt there. The timing of those sections over central Florida is Tuesday Wednesday. All this of course is speculative because modeling could change.

Lilofan

The wind fields and storm cells are strongest and extend furthest to the north and east. The impact of the storms are most felt there. The timing of those sections over central Florida is Tuesday Wednesday. All this of course is speculative because modeling could change.
I'd expect WDW and Universal to be closed Tue Wed and perhaps Thu .

Touchdown

Original Poster
IMG_6591.jpeg

Tropical Storm winds unlikely to arrive in Central Florida until after 8pm Eastern Tuesday.

Gringrinngghost

Code:
WTNT64 KNHC 051725
TCUAT4

Tropical Storm Milton Tropical Cyclone Update
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL       AL142024
1225 PM CDT Sat Oct 05 2024

...TROPICAL DEPRESSION BECOMES TROPICAL STORM MILTON...
...FORECAST TO STRENGTHEN AND BRING THE RISK OF LIFE-THREATENING
IMPACTS TO PORTIONS OF THE WEST COAST OF FLORIDA NEXT WEEK...

Recent satellite wind data indicate that the depression has
strengthened into Tropical Storm Milton.  The maximum sustained
winds are estimated to be 40 mph (65 km/h) with higher gusts.

SUMMARY OF 1225 PM CDT...1725 UTC...INFORMATION
---------------------------------------------------
LOCATION...22.3N 95.3W
ABOUT 220 MI...355 KM NNE OF VERACRUZ MEXICO
ABOUT 365 MI...590 KM WNW OF PROGRESO MEXICO
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...40 MPH...65 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNE OR 15 DEGREES AT 3 MPH...6 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...1006 MB...29.71 INCHES

$$
Forecaster Brown/Kelly

Batman'sParents

In St. Petersburg, they are scheduled to start picking up debris this coming Monday. I don’t know if Milton will change this plan but I am thankful that my neighborhood wasn’t impacted to hard. I know several people at work that got hit hard and I am worried about them with this storm.
I know that the city of Tampa and the county of Hillsborough have been picking up debris.

Touchdown

Original Poster
From my layman’s understanding, where this goes and how far north it goes depends on the arrival of a cold front moving south from Georgia. Once the low and the (soon to be) hurricane meet, the low will start pulling the moisture along its boundary robbing the hurricane of its energy and spreading out the thunderstorms. It will also essentially set the direction the storm goes from there. So essentially, the earlier the front drops the more southern the route through FL and the weaker the strength.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom