Hurricane Dorian, should we cancel?

PMC0849

Hello, we are scheduled to fly into Orlando for a 4 night stay at Pop starting tomorrow. We can't decide if it's worth the risk, has anyone else been there during a hurricane? I think we are leaning towards canceling, but want to wait as long as possible until we do. We essentially have to decide in the next few hours.

JIMINYCR

Please excuse me if i'm incorrect, but wouldn't (shouldn't?) Disney reduce pricing on the hotels during the event of a hurricane? Do they offer full refunds outside of the 1 month advance notice?

This may sound, well, outright dumb, but I would think the best time to go would be during a hurricane.. lighter crowds, and the area was built to withstand hurricanes right?

Sure , lighter crowds after the event, but think about when it hits and the parks are closed down ( 1 - 2 days or more if this one hits worse) )and the time you are wasting sitting in your resort room doing absolutely nothing. The food court is low on food & beverages, very little to do to entertain the kids. Your dining reservations and FP+ are not usable for those days. The parks wont open up again until things are cleaned up and rides become operable. I wouldnt want to be paying for that kind of Disney time.

Upvote 0

apartment j

We came back from Disney yesterday. We were originally scheduled to stay until Monday, September 2. Obviously we didn't want to be caught in a hurricane but we also knew we had to get home on the 2nd. A travel delay would have been a problem for us and we were afraid that if we stayed any longer flight delays and cancellations would start to occur.
We made our decision to leave early on Tuesday, August 27 when the forecast started to look bad. Even that far out and with things still uncertain, Disney allowed us to drop three nights off of our reservation at Boardwalk with no charge for those nights. Southwest allowed us to switch flights with no increase in fare, even though our new flight was $280 more per person.
Just wanted to post about our experience for anyone concerned with cancellation fees.

Upvote 0

crawale

Hello, we are scheduled to fly into Orlando for a 4 night stay at Pop starting tomorrow. We can't decide if it's worth the risk, has anyone else been there during a hurricane? I think we are leaning towards canceling, but want to wait as long as possible until we do. We essentially have to decide in the next few hours.
Stayed at AKL during Wilma. Disney closed all Parks but by lunchtime the hurricane passed and Parks opened to only Resort guest. Wilma was a fast moving hurricane. Dorian is not fast moving but looks like it will be coastal and probably worse impact in the Carolinas. The day after Matthew we drove to Disney since flights were cancelled and we were fine. Pack ponchos though.

Upvote 0

crawale

Sure , lighter crowds after the event, but think about when it hits and the parks are closed down ( 1 - 2 days or more if this one hits worse) )and the time you are wasting sitting in your resort room doing absolutely nothing. The food court is low on food & beverages, very little to do to entertain the kids. Your dining reservations and FP+ are not usable for those days. The parks wont open up again until things are cleaned up and rides become operable. I wouldnt want to be paying for that kind of Disney time.
Disney refund booking up to 7 days out from the hurricane - guess you booked through Disney but most reputable operators would probably do the same.

Upvote 0

Shouldigo12

I have a non refundable stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani village from Sept 4 thru 11. No cancelling for me. The only question is when to head to Orlando.
Why is it not refundable/able to be rescheduled? I thought during hurricanes Disney was willing to work with guests so they could come at different time.

Upvote 0

Shouldigo12

Thanks all, we did end up cancelling last night.
If it makes you feel better, I would suggest reading the post on The Disney Tourist Blog about their experience at DW during Irma. It isn't a fun time. Losing FPs and ADRs sucks, but honestly you lost those once the hurricane starting going towards Florida. At least now you'll be able to reschedule your trip for a time when you actually be in the parks.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom