Hundred Acre Goods vs Pooh Corner

Better gift shop?

• Total voters

DisneyAndUniversalFan

Original Poster
Because they lost a park classic not just for Pooh, but a version of Pooh that is widely viewed as a lazy, cheap ride that didn't even live up to either of the two versions of it that already existed.

As much as I'm not a fan of the Florida version, it is nonetheless true that even if they didn't want to clone the Tokyo version, they already had a version of Pooh that was fine from WDW that they could have brought over. Of course, it is possible that they had site constraints that prevented them from flat-out duplicating the WDW blueprints that I'm not privy to. But if that is true, or there are other legitimate reasons explaining why the attraction took a different approach at DL, they are underrepported, and so the narrative has become, whether fully accurate or not, that apparently the WDW version just wasn't cheap enough for the DL of the early 2000's, so they had to go and cheapen it more.

Compare the different versions and DL's, charming setting aside, is easily the worst.
Disneyland's:

Walt Disney World's (and HK and SDL):

Tokyo:

While so far as I know he didn't have much of a role in its design/construction/etc., Tony Baxter has talked about how he viewed DL's Pooh as a step backwards in one of the two episodes of the Themed Attractions podcast he appeared on (starts at about 36:00, and while he dances around his true feelings a bit, the implication is clear, and it's hardly a ringing endorsement of the DL attraction or the people responsible for building it): https://www.themedattraction.com/tony-baxter-interview-pt-1/

If it had to be broken down to one overriding flaw, I'd say it's the cheapness. Say what you will about modern Disney, but other than Pixar Pier, at least their modern attractions don't tend to look insultingly cheap in the way that the Pressler/Harris stuff often did, which certainly included the DL Pooh attraction. If they had even just cloned the WDW version, I don't think DL's Pooh would have quite the reputation that it does.

Good writeup. You always write great descriptions.

How do you rank the Pooh rides around the world? Explain too.

PiratesMansion

Good writeup. You always write great descriptions.

How do you rank the Pooh rides around the world? Explain too.
I think the clear ranking is this:
1. Hunny Hunt by miles

2. WDW version that was later exported to Hong Kong and Shanghai (though I'd probably give the edge to the HK version for being the best of these for me personally because it is maintained better than WDW's and is in English, unlike Shanghai's; I'm sure there are minor variations here and there but they are basically identical to each other)
3. DL version

In this instance, though, I'm not sure I could add much beyond what's been said already. I love Tokyo's and am largely indifferent and/or mildly hostile to the others :)

Can't wait to take my Shanghai friend, who hasn't been to any other Disney park and loved SDL's Pooh attraction, to Tokyo someday!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom