Huge Rollercoasters?

Epcot82Guy

I think it all depends on what you enjoy and look for in an attraction. Yes, Disney's coasters are all coasters. However, they have additional elements. They use soundtracks, tunnels, scenery, etc. in place of thrills. Most coasters are built for the reality of the thrills. They wear on their sleeves how tall, fast, and twisted they are. There is little hidden. That is why I say they are founded in reality.

And, I guess the DD debate is in the eye of the beholder. The fact you can see the track in front of you makes it difficult to believe the illusion. I've been on it several times and have yet to get the "I'm about to hit that train" feeling. And that is its gimmick; its reality. As far as height, speed, and inversion-type elements, it is a very minor, small coaster. It is to inverted coasters what Kali is to most rapids rides. A couple good concepts and ideas on a much too boring, short execution overall after a great queue line. But, I guess that's my opinion. I also don't think Hulk is well executed because the second half of the ride is absolutely dead, and it kills the fun of the ride after the vertical loop.

I personally think the hybrid attractions will be the next phase. Robotic arm coasters, cantilever coasters, water coasters, etc. that combine dark ride with coaster elements will be a great way to make attractions.

Tara Mae

Because Disney doesn't need big coasters?

Or maybe it's because Disney has enough visitors who enjoy the park without the thrill?

Or perhaps they just haven't got to it yet.

Epcot82Guy

I'm gonna take a shot at this one, and if I'm wrong then I apologize, but if you are addressing Space Mountain and travelling lightyears away, that is true, but Space Mountain, by self decree, is not a roller coaster. Just read the opening sighn. Or, if you are addressing the fact you get from G-Force Records to downtown LA in a matter of a minute or so, naturally we are riding extremely fast limousines, not coaster cars. Finally, if you are addressing the zany travel back to the time of the asteroid hit on Primeival Whirl, again, it is not a roller coaster but a rather out of control science experiment.

Let's try that :wave:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Epcot82Guy said:
I'm gonna take a shot at this one, and if I'm wrong then I apologize, but if you are addressing Space Mountain and travelling lightyears away, that is true, but Space Mountain, by self decree, is not a roller coaster. Just read the opening sighn. Or, if you are addressing the fact you get from G-Force Records to downtown LA in a matter of a minute or so, naturally we are riding extremely fast limousines, not coaster cars. Finally, if you are addressing the zany travel back to the time of the asteroid hit on Primeival Whirl, again, it is not a roller coaster but a rather out of control science experiment.

Let's try that :wave:

Actually, I was referring to the roller coaster that runs from the TTC to the MK through the Contemporary, GF, and Poly, then makes a loop to Epcot and back.

DisJosh

hakunamatata said:
Actually, I was referring to the roller coaster that runs from the TTC to the MK through the Contemporary, GF, and Poly, then makes a loop to Epcot and back.

It rolls and it coasts...hehe. :lookaroun

rob_b

This Disney Monorail coaster is 13.6 miles in length and each train can hold 365 passengers. Its so fast that 150,000 passengers ride a day.

Robfasto

rob_b said:
This Disney Monorail coaster is 13.6 miles in length and each train can hold 365 passengers. Its so fast that 150,000 passengers ride a day.

Still not the longest....

The Osaka-Monorail is 23.8 km or 14.7 miles with 16 stations

wdwishes2005

hakunamatata said:

Main Entry: roll·er coast·er
Pronunciation: <TT>'rO-l&r-"kO-st&r, 'rO-lE-"kO-</TT>
Function: noun
1 : an elevated railway (as in an amusement park) constructed with sharp curves and steep inclines on which cars ROLL
2 : something resembling a roller coaster; especially : behavior, events, or experiences characterized by sudden and extreme changes <an emotional roller coaster>

wdwishes2005

wdwishes2005 said:
Main Entry: roll·er coast·er
Pronunciation: <TT>'rO-l&r-"kO-st&r, 'rO-lE-"kO-</TT>
Function: noun
1 : an elevated railway (as in an amusement park) constructed with sharp curves and steep inclines on which cars ROLL
2 : something resembling a roller coaster; especially : behavior, events, or experiences characterized by sudden and extreme changes <AN roller coaster>

i take that as meaning that in order for it ti be a rollercoaster the trains cannot be self-propelled.

imagineerfan

Madison said:
If California Screamin' is as bad as Disney gets, that's pretty amazing.

I agreee. California Screamin' is one of my favorite Disney rides. It has alot of the same "Disney ride qualities" that you don't find on many other coasters. e.g. a music soundtrack, quick and effecient ride loading/unloading, fits in with the theme of the area, and of course it has a hidden mickey, (though I don't know how hidden that loop is ;) )

In response to the original thread, I think Disney would first develop a theme for an area, then see if a roller coaster would fit that theme, not the other way around. They have their priorities set much differently than most amusement parks.

Dan

CrashNet

JKovach said:
I see your point... very well, however, I on the other hand find it much more terrifying to come down a big drop and all of a sudden be going about 55 mph right at another rollercoaster and getting flip backward just in time... or go at brick walls and literally thinking for that split second (because when you come down a drop and head at a break wall you dont have time nor think to myself "ok and now i am going to spin away from this just in time so there isn't really any point to having this brick wall... :yawn: I wonder what the weather is like in Boston, maybe I'll call my mother") you literally think you're gonna hit the wall...

Whereas... take Dinosaur... the Carna...... Big dinosaur keeps popping out at you and chasing you, and while that is scary the first time... its not like "im gonna die" scary... whereas on Dueling dragons... I must have thrown out 9 or 10 F bombs and just kept swearing because... I mean you're moving at 50-60 mph and heading at objects which if you hit them... YOU WILL DIE... whereas... the Yeti or the dinosaur, the entire time you know is not real... and again, no you may not have time to think "oh yeti its not real" but the entire time you know that you're gonna be getting chased by something not real... whereas like I said on DD... one minute your upside down think "weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" and then suddenly "ohhh mYYYYY GOOODDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

So trust me, I do see your point... and you are right that there is a difference in how you define thrill... I see it as what is actually there; the sensation of being flipped around, upside down, fearing hitting something, not having time to think "this isn't real" and pure speed... where as what you're made to believe; a yeti chasing you, isn't AS scary... although again I AM VERY EXCITED ABOUT THIS RIDE!!! don't get me wrong!!!! and because its disney, I'd rather this than a dueling dragon, but for the next one, I'd rather it be a big steel RC than another wooden one that just speeds around turns...
OH...ha! :lol: JKovach, I actually didn't even see you used Dueling Dragons as an example. My post was in general and not directed to you. To be honest, both are hugely thrilling, I'm just somewhat baised because I'm a huge fan of the insane detail Disney puts into their attractions. :)

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Does it have to be big to be good?

Alton Towers has three of the best coaster is Europe, none of them are BIG in physical sense because of the local planning restrictions. It doesnt however stop them being exciting.

Perhaps as its excitement we are seeking people should ignore the BIG tag and use thrill instead.

Robfasto

JKovach said:
Whereas... take Dinosaur... the Carna...... Big dinosaur keeps popping out at you and chasing you, and while that is scary the first time... its not like "im gonna die" scary... whereas on Dueling dragons... I must have thrown out 9 or 10 F bombs and just kept swearing because... I mean you're moving at 50-60 mph and heading at objects which if you hit them... YOU WILL DIE... whereas... the Yeti or the dinosaur, the entire time you know is not real... and again, no you may not have time to think "oh yeti its not real" but the entire time you know that you're gonna be getting chased by something not real... whereas like I said on DD... one minute your upside down think "weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" and then suddenly "ohhh mYYYYY GOOODDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Yes, but you know for a FACT that you will not hit them.... as each train that leaves before you returns with all it's rides alive and well.

Sherm00

I hate roller coasters. if disney wanted to go for the cheap thrill then they would have tons of roller coasters. one reason I never go to any great adventure or any rollercoaster park is because it dosn't appeal to me. and if you have little kids who can't ride the roller coasters why go. if you ask me disney has a good mix some roller coasters, some other thrill rides and basic family rides to make everyone happy. thats what makes disney disney, they have stuff that appeals to everybody.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom