HS never to be the same?

BlakeW39

No it will not ever be the same again.

And that is necessary. The theme of the romanticized Classic Hollywood is so increadibly narrow ans specific, and it cannot draw the guests other themes can because this Hollywood is now irrelevant. It was a time frame that is past in culture, now.

I don't particularly like the old Hollywood theme because it's just... boring to me, nor does it fit what guests want (experiences and immersion [everyone's favorite word]) what we have now is just... disjointed. The other parks, even Magic Kingdom, have an idea that makes the entire park cohesive to a central theme. Blockbuster franchises is not a theme. They could work on what they have to make it cohesive but that will of course require effort and money.

Jon81uk

Ironically, though, at least a few of Disney's feature animation films were partially made in Florida. I remember seeing work on one in 1989 (don't remember which) and Mulan in 1996.

I saw Lilo and Stitch being animated in the early 2000s. But the pivot to computer animation was the final nail in the coffin for animation in Florida.

SirWillow

Would you say Liberty Square slots into that theme, though? I mean, I guess you could, but that's really stretching the definition of "fantasy."

It's an idealized, non existent area. While it has some elements of reality that it uses, it's also very non-realistic and a broad scope of colonial America from the 1600's to the Revolution. But outside of a passing resemblance to a couple of buildings- which in real life are no where near each other- and that's what lends it into the "fantasy" theme. Unless you know of a town with a large haunted mansion next door to a not very accurate imitation of Independence Hall. :)

Christian Fronckowiak

In the Parks
Yes
It's an idealized, non existent area. While it has some elements of reality that it uses, it's also very non-realistic and a broad scope of colonial America from the 1600's to the Revolution. But outside of a passing resemblance to a couple of buildings- which in real life are no where near each other- and that's what lends it into the "fantasy" theme. Unless you know of a town with a large haunted mansion next door to a not very accurate imitation of Independence Hall. :)
According to Tony Baxter, the theme of the Disneyland/Magic Kingdom park is not "fantasy," but "magic made real." The Hall of Presidents is a great example of something that could fits Walt's "plausible impossible" vision, since you could never have all of the Presidents in a space at the same time.

SirWillow

According to Tony Baxter, the theme of the Disneyland/Magic Kingdom park is not "fantasy," but "magic made real." The Hall of Presidents is a great example of something that could fits Walt's "plausible impossible" vision, since you could never have all of the Presidents in a space at the same time.

That's not what they tell cast members in training, in Traditions, or what is on the pin that they give you when you take your cast tour of the park when getting assigned to it. Every single one of those things says that the unifying theme of the park is "fantasy."

I've no disagreements with Tony Baxter, and absolutely love his work. But the internal documents that Disney uses in training and that they give to cast says otherwise.

Attachments

• 20190809_135302.jpg
    20190809_135302.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 100

Sir_Cliff

I'm fine with whatever they want to do, so long as they keep the retro-LA style of the front of the park. The part of me that loves Deco (even if it's faux) would be brokenhearted, and I just don't see the Chinese Theater or Tower of Terror working if they weren't the focal points of that kind of themeing. I don't think I'd be too put out if Echo Lake turned into an Indy-themed area that looked like some far-flung locale in the same time period.
I seem to be in the minority, but I think an "old Hollywood" opening experience leading into a "ride the movies" park works fine. The entry areas provides the nice glow around movie making (which is still very much in the culture as films like La La Land and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood demonstrate) that ties everything together, and from there the notion is that you step into different movies that have sprung from this film making tradition. It also strengthens the logic of having a movie theatre as the central icon you walk towards when you enter the park.

The working studio conceit ceased to be viable years ago and running things like the Backlot Tour as though it was a real working studio just ended up being lame. Personally, I think this 'step into the movies' approach is a good solution and I'm happy they didn't decide to ditch the studio name all together as I think that was entirely unnecessary.

Jayhawker

I understand where the OP and others are coming from. However, the studios were (and still currently are) in a sad state. The studios is still barely a half day park. It has one of the worst layouts of any Disney park.
The additions of TSL and Star Wars will not fix the layout/design issues, but I welcome them as great additions to the park. Oh and I forgot about Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway. I was just at the park on Wednesday, and I cannot wait to continue to watch it’s evolution and progress
Lastly, I completely agree with other previous posters who really like the look and feel of the old Hollywood era sections of the park at the front entry and on down Sunset Boulevard.

World_Showcase_Lover007

As long as Hollywood Blvd and Sunset Blvd remain as they are, or survive with minimal change, then the park will be what it needs to be. The studio part was never viable so it needed to go away. Plus the 1989 opening day attractions did not have any thrilll rides so some change has benefitted the park. Streets of America became needless facades (except for Osborne Lights). As long as the Hollywood spirit is there, things will be fine.

World_Showcase_Lover007

It has one of the worst layouts of any Disney park.
The additions of TSL and Star Wars will not fix the layout/design issues, but I welcome them as great additions to the park. Oh and I forgot about Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway. I was just at the park on Wednesday, and I cannot wait to continue to watch it’s evolution and progress
Lastly, I completely agree with other previous posters who really like the look and feel of the old Hollywood era sections of the park at the front entry and on down Sunset Boulevard.

Completely agree on the park layout issue. Until they develop the Sunset Blvd. or “right” side of the park more, it will remain awkward and inept. And they could do this if they truly wanted. Buildings, parking lots, etc. can be moved and rebuilt or repurposed. They just need the desire to right the crazy layout given to them in 1989.

bUU

How so? The land of Tomorrow is one of many "lands" that support a larger theme of an entire kingdom.
There is nothing about Tomorrowland that is tied back to any kingdom, and even less so with regard to Liberty Square, which is a land grounded in a theme which is distinctly anti-kingdom. Magic Kingdom is made up of independent lands, just like Hollywood Studios, just like Animal Kingdom. And Epcot is effectively a couple of dozen separate lands.

Would you say Liberty Square slots into that theme, though? I mean, I guess you could, but that's really stretching the definition of "fantasy."
And stretching it that far actually ratifies the promotion of "ride the movies" being a park-wide theme for Hollywood Studios. That's the point: The only way to rationalize the claim for Magic Kingdom does so for Hollywood Studios.

If we use that, then every single theme of every single park is actually "fantasy."
Precisely.

Last edited:

bUU

I'm not an executive but I never understood why Eisner couldn't mandate the making of movies at Disney-MGM, whether they even be Disney Channel Premiere or DisneyToon Studios-caliber.
Why should he mandate something that isn't the best for the business he's responsible for?

bUU

My memory of this might not be correct, but even in 1989, the Streets of America were little more than a set to demonstrate the use of forced perspective.
At least one featurette was filmed there, specifically to demonstrate that it could be effectively used as a backlot movie set. It was okay, I suppose, but not very convincing to moviemakers.

bUU

The additions of TSL and Star Wars will not fix the layout/design issues
But they'll get it 75% of the way there. What's left to accomplish is connecting Toy Story Land to the courtyard where the Lightning McQueen attraction is, by way of new Pixar-themed attractions replacing Launch Bay. I think we can start thinking about that further development after the next recession is over and we're into a strong recovery.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom