How would WDW look in 2019 if Universal Orlando never opened

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Wizarding World, Pandora and Toy Story Land. I'm under the impression you're not a fan of Toy Story land?
I didn’t realize you were including universal lands.

Makes more sense.

Now about that toy story land...
I’ve been a huge toy story fan since the day i saw the first one premier in the theater - as an adult.

But the “land” is not up to standards. Its really close to Chester and Hester’s. And they cheaped the attractions beyond belief. Not a good effort at all.

Last edited:

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Original Poster
I was working on the premise that people would see and understand that I was replying to the Op, hence me quoting his post. He clearly ask for views on why Disney Studios was built and then separately asks about the Rock n Roller coaster which is within the studios, I was merely addressing both points.

I understand the logic that without Disney studios then clearly nothing within it could have been added to it, I was really working on the basis that most would see that and that I wouldn't have to take the time to point that out. Apologies if that wasn't apparent.

No, not Disney MGM studios...Disney as a cartoon company back in the 30's, if Universal hadn't been one of the companies that pioneered movie making is what I meant

mergatroid

No, not Disney MGM studios...Disney as a cartoon company back in the 30's, if Universal hadn't been one of the companies that pioneered movie making is what I meant

But your post clearly says Disney MGM Studios as shown below?

Just a fun "What if" scenario.

Whether people want to admit it or not, Universal has driven a lot of growth at WDW and arguably pushed the creation of these things at WDW:

- Disney MGM/Hollywood Studios
- Rock n Roller Coaster

- Mission Space
- Pandora
- Star Wars Galaxy's Edge
- maybe Expedition Everest?

and others

I predict the Great Movie Ride would have opened in Epcot as originally intended....we wouldn't see a Studios park in 1989, possibly not another new park for 5-6 more years....maybe they jump to making Animal Kingdom as the third park. For all we know they might not have opened Disneyland Paris the same way.

We probably wouldn't have any Pandora or Galaxy's Edge area, but maybe they'd put some more attractions in MK with some of the plans originally for MGM Studios.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

justintheharris

I didn’t realize you were including universal lands.

Makes more sense.

Now about that toy story land...
I’ve been a huge toy story fan since the day i saw the first one premier in the theater - as an adult.

But the “land” is not up to standards. Its really close to Chester and Hester’s. And they cheaped the attractions beyond belief. Not a good effort at all.
Eh I think Toy Story land is good for what it is. I expected it to be worse.

justintheharris

Surprising...

It’s two new pretty mundane off the shelf rides with Christmas lights strung between them.

I like midway mania...but you don’t get “double credit” for a 10 year old ride
I made a whole thread about why Toy Story Land would be a disaster (over a year ago) and I’ve thought about revisiting it. The land is fine at the end of the day but Hollywood Studios needs something much better. But I don’t think it’s a bad land.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Also not worth it. The experience of rope dropping it was fun simply because I'd never done that before, but I wouldn't wait on a standby line for more than an hour.

Exactly.

My reactions to slinky dog and mine train were exactly the same:
“That was neat...it’s worth a 1/2 wait”

Not what has happened. It is an indictment or what has happened to the Florida crowd: desperate for anything - drunk off the dust.

So Star Wars May have 4 hours waits...that is not affirmation of the quality of it though knowing what we know.

Walt Disney1955

It is quite possible that they push both, mostly for the better. No doubt Universal Orlando never happens without WDW though. Or Sea World in Orlando. When I say they push each other "mostly for the better" I think it is because there are times when Universal should preserve their roots a little bit better. They want to beat Disney so badly that they have but one ride that still exists from opening day in 1990. I realize they don't have the land, but they can't be doing that badly if they added Volcano Bay. What Disney has always managed to do better is preserve their history and their original rides while building around them. Lack of space is the problem? What about Disneyland? They do this better than WDW if you ask me. When there is a will there is a way.

wdwfan4ver

Disney still would be getting IP lands because Rowling still would taking Potter to Universal, but it would going to California. Disney would be looking at it as threat from the California side and could be creating single IP lands. WDW would be getting lands based on as a result.

Marvel would be having a bigger Impact at WDW since Universal Orlando would not exist. I'm pointing at Epcot with Stark Expo replacing innovations.

Star Wars Galaxies Edge still will exist at WDW, but it is going to be in Magic Kingdom. I would guess the location would be In the Tomorrowland area with me seeing the plot of land that Tron is on being used and the Tomorrowland Speedway being gone. Its either that or The Speedway and parts of existing Tomorrowland would be gone. I would assume MK because I don't see Iger even consider Galaxies Edge for Epcot due to size of that land unless he wants to demolish Mission: Space, Wonders of Life Building, and Universe of Energy.

I'm guessing MK because I see Eisner creating a Tokyo Disney Seas style park for WDW and Iger would be screwed from a Star Wars: galaxies Edge standpoint. Eisner was a true fan of theme parks and saw WDW had different clientele than Disneyland. Eisner would build a 4th park even without Universal Orlando not being built if the growth of WDW is there for him to do it.

I'm under the impression Eisner in the 1985 to 1988 time period would want imagineers to create an idea for a 3rd theme park with me guessing AK. AK would the 3rd park with it opening much earlier with it being in the 1992 to 1995 time frame. There is no reason for Pandora since Eisner would be working AK for expansions sooner. The other thing is if AK was opened earlier, there would be no Chester and Hester since the early plans had an Ice Age area.

I could see Eisner doing a 4th WDW park even without Universal Orlando if AK is popular enough for it. My guess would be something similar to Tokyo Disney seas except with it being a WDW version.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom