How will you plan your next trip differently?

Shouldigo12

The last few days have been a bit of a bummer for me. There was an outbreak where my mom works (6 people infected and counting) and my mom was one of the exposed. Which is not good, considering she has an immune disorder. So I'm looking for something to distract myself until she's able to get tested, and what better distraction is there than planning a trip you may or may not end up taking? Haha. That got me to thinking how I would plan things differently from the first time around.

Personally I will not make the mistake of locking myself into a park all day. I had people tell me that some parks, some as AK, weren't really good to stay in from morning until night. I thought since it was my first time going, there would still be enough things to do that I could fill my time and spread out my FP and dining reservations from around 10 am ish until ROL. Huge mistake. We were ready to leave by around 2, but with the timing of everything we couldn't go and not risk missing something. So next time I definitely plan on giving myself an opportunity to leave the parks by the afternoon, in the event that we decide we're ready to go.

Second is not getting the deluxe dining plan. It's convenient, but it's just too much. It also helped contribute to the problem mentioned above, in that a lot of my ADRs were late dinners I made in the hopes that my breakfast and lunch would be digested by then (spoiler alert: they were not). Not having so many credits I need to use would help free up some time.

So what about you guys? Whether you've been every year since opening day or you've only been once, what was something you planned in past trips that you're hoping to correct the next time around?

belledream

Until we had kids, we’d be at the parks from open to close. I considered any time spent in our room not ‘doing something’ to be a waste! ;)

Now, I love the idea of planning an early exit in the afternoon and coming back to the resort for pool time and nap time. It makes things easier on us, is obviously necessary, and it’s also a new way to enjoy Disney, through the eyes of your kid. I also get excited about food court dining options now? Oh, how times have changed... but I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

I’m sorry about your mom - I hope she is ok, and that you are able to go to Disney whenever that may be!

Upvote 0

Shouldigo12

Original Poster
Until we had kids, we’d be at the parks from open to close. I considered any time spent in our room not ‘doing something’ to be a waste! ;)

Now, I love the idea of planning an early exit in the afternoon and coming back to the resort for pool time and nap time. It makes things easier on us, is obviously necessary, and it’s also a new way to enjoy Disney, through the eyes of your kid. I also get excited about food court dining options now? Oh, how times have changed... but I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

I’m sorry about your mom - I hope she is ok, and that you are able to go to Disney whenever that may be!
There is something kinda fun about food courts! I think it's the diverse options (at some Disney locations, anyway). With pizza, burgers, salads, pastas, and sandwiches there's not as much worry over whether there something for everyone.

And thank you for the kind words. I'm trying not to get myself too worked out before the results come back.

Upvote 0

belledream

There is something kinda fun about food courts! I think it's the diverse options (at some Disney locations, anyway). With pizza, burgers, salads, pastas, and sandwiches there's not as much worry over whether there something for everyone.

And thank you for the kind words. I'm trying not to get myself too worked out before the results come back.
Last year, we stayed at POFQ after years of All Stars/Pop and enjoyed some more unique options that were really satisfying, and it was a minutes’ walk from our room. Best of both worlds for our new way of Disneying.

Hoping the best for you.

Upvote 0

Shouldigo12

Original Poster
Hell...under the current rules/restrictions/realities, I’d just be happy to know when it’s even realistic to begin thinking about planning to go.

We aren’t even there yet.
Yeah, with everything going on, going anywhere won't be in the cards for awhile. But, doing stuff like this makes me happy and eases my anxiety. So even if it's trip I never end up going on, I still love to plan everything out. I have all sorts of fictional itineraries I've made for trips to New York, California, Portland, an island near me, and other places.

Upvote 0

Mainahman

I need to book a 2021 trip to at least get it on the books for my other neice and nephew. Normally I'd have it already done, or I'd grab a bounce back offer, but I'm honestly chilling out this go round. We got upgraded to Kidani Village DVC room for next months trip. I'm hoping my wife falls in love with the place, and either we look to cash in on lower DVC re sale rates from Covid, or AKL cash rooms become available.

Upvote 0

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I need to book a 2021 trip to at least get it on the books for my other neice and nephew. Normally I'd have it already done, or I'd grab a bounce back offer, but I'm honestly chilling out this go round. We got upgraded to Kidani Village DVC room for next months trip. I'm hoping my wife falls in love with the place, and either we look to cash in on lower DVC re sale rates from Covid, or AKL cash rooms become available.

Same here...that or jet skis 😉

Upvote 0

RememberWhen

Or rent point! Though I would probably consider holding off on that until the parks have at least been open for a bit.

Upvote 0

slipperalwaysfits

We are slated to go over Thanksgiving. We did make park reservations and even though we never feel like we "rush" through a park, it will be nice to spend all day at one park. We don't have kids, so I can see us taking a mid-day break and then coming back to the park for the evening, depending on operating hours.

We don't have the Dining plan, obvi. We are dining plan people simply because we need the reassurance of pre-paying for our food and drinks. So we will really miss that but we've budgeted enough that we will be fine with food.

We can't make dining reservations until 60 days so in late September, we will see what we can get. We are blessed to have gone to the World a few times so we will be thrilled with what we get, even if that means we can't get our favorites, like Tusker House.

Also, we have reservations at the All-Stars and got moved to Pop. We've never stayed at POP and we are looking forward to something different!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom