How well does corporate pay?

KeithVH

Original Poster
Years ago, out of the blue, I got a call from Casting for an interview. Was employed but doing a limited search for the bigger, better deal. Spent about 90 minutes on the phone. Never did ask how they got my name (it was a bit unsettling at the time to get cold-called like that). Said they'd call me back for a followup. But later that day, I rec'd a bona fide offer from another company and thought, a bird in the hand . . .

So it's 9 years later now. The family despises Seattle (and the wife is not too thrilled with my employer) so I'm thinking of Disney again. But I'm wondering how well they pay in the IT field? Anyone have any firsthand knowledge how well they compare to the industry in general? I'm talking multiple years of mid-level experience (like Project Mgr and such) and not a freshly-minted admin with the ink still wet on their certs.

The bummer is that most, if not all of the IT work seems located in Seattle or L.A. Why don't I ever see corporate IT positions in Orlando?

napnet

On occasion i have seen IT jobs in Orlando for Disney.. how well they pay, im not sure but i know friends who have been in other depts and made good money. I'd love to work there one day.

wedway71

I may be wrong but I thought Disney recently started outsourcing all IT jobs in Orlando and alot of IT people at Disney were let go.I heard they reported back to work the next day at the same locations just with a different employer like IBM.

napnet

Madison said:
Yay for more people that loathe Seattle! I hate it here.

Never been there but i heard its overcast like 75% of the year. That has got to be awful. Atleast in FL our weather changes every 10 minutes...

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
TWDC generally pays less than all of its competitors in all positions... even corporate.

cm1988

IT Roles and Pay

I worked in WDW IT when the outsourcing was planned and implemented. Many jobs did go to IBM and other vendors.

The ones that left were primarily in the infrastructure area - server teams, PC/LAN, network transport, etc. Also, the help desk was outsourced.

Many of the core applications are supported by external companies. I'm not sure exactly which ones in particular, but I believe ERP is one.

Several... I'd say dozens of developers still wear the oval nametag. That includes probably dozens of PM's who work with cast members and contractors alike.

Pay is not exceptional, from what I have seen there and elsewhere. Housing costs are high and pay is comparable to many cities with comparable costs. You have to negotiate what you need; and you may or may not get that.

Check Monster.com for Disney IT opportunities. Be advised, thousands apply that way. Your better chance would be if you ran into a WDW person at some user group or conference. Also, if you want to, check with consulting companies since half the people working in IT (just a guess) are either contractors now or came in the door that way.

Over the years, I've seen several inquiries about WDW IT jobs. It is a good place to work, but should not be confused with the kind of guest interaction and environment a person has on the front line... in a theme park or at a resort. What I mean is... why Disney over any other good corporate IT employer? The pay, working conditions and culture are very similar. It is not like going to a theme park every day. You don't see the guests.

cm1988

Yep

holy thread bump!
You're right, Rob. I was reading another thread and the link to this one appeared. I didn't check the date.

You've seen a few dozen similar replies from me. I think as years pass, I find myself wanting to throw more and more caution flags to persons seeking salaried opportunities in a backstage role. I especially want to caution those who would accept a lower-level position "with hopes of" promotion or transfer. As you know, I've been there, done that and got several t-shirts to prove it.

roypup

Pay is a hard thing when it comes to pro positions. It's based on a few factors, worked out by the compensation group:

1. Your education/experience.
2. The average for the "market title" in the hiring area.
3. The average for the "market title" nationwide.

It also depends on any hiring bonuses or relocation they offer as well.

I have to say that in general, they don't hire a lot of IT based jobs. They do have a lot of in house development groups DCL, DME, and WDIG that hire from time to time. (Project managers, developers, business analysis, etc.)

sandicinderelli

I especially want to caution those who would accept a lower-level position "with hopes of" promotion or transfer. As you know, I've been there, done that and got several t-shirts to prove it.

So....are you saying that we shouldn't try? Maybe that's the only way some of us can get our foot in the door. They don't have enough Professional Internships for everyone.

wedway71

Wow.....2 years old!!!!

Well,here is what I know......

Buddy of mine which worked for a large Retail Company like myself got hired on in Mid Level Mgt with Disney Store when it was actually called "The Disney Store" before they chopped the word " The" off. He did well and moved from Disney Store Operations to Consumer Products in Glendale.
He was there for a few years and then went on to Merchandise/Product Developement for Disney Parks/Resorts and worked on the initial planning for Euro Disney when it was called that and then Hong Kong Disney and is now back in the states.
We have talked about his salary/Bonus/Benefits and I can say he does make around 100k.
Not sure if that is good or bad for what he actually does but I do know he is very happy and will be there until they kick him out of his office.
That is just my experience with that....Hope that helps.:wave:

cm1988

It's a warning

So....are you saying that we shouldn't try? Maybe that's the only way some of us can get our foot in the door. They don't have enough Professional Internships for everyone.
That is precisely the line of thought which brings hundreds of new cast members through the door. The odds are against those persons achieving their objectives that way. Is it impossible? No, someone wins the Florida lottery several times a year. You put a buck down, you might win, too.

From experience, I believe a better course of action is to either 1) take an entry level job just for the fun of it, expecting nothing more or 2) find a contracting job that will bring you in to the company as a professional or 3) work in your chosen profession at another company and seek out contacts who are in your same profession at Disney. By "seek out contacts" I mean 1) transfer to Central Florida, if you can 2) participate in local professional organizations or 3) attend national conferences where similar WDW professionals are likely to attend.

I am not saying you should or shouldn't try. I am warning you that if you try, the odds are against you and the career cost can mean 10's of thousands less as you approach retirement; possible bankruptcy along the way; inability to purchase a home; and similar dire but very possible consequences.

Each time I put a buck down for a lottery ticket, the convenience store clerk says the same thing: "Good luck".

roypup

That is precisely the line of thought which brings hundreds of new cast members through the door. The odds are against those persons achieving their objectives that way. Is it impossible? No, someone wins the Florida lottery several times a year. You put a buck down, you might win, too.

From experience, I believe a better course of action is to either 1) take an entry level job just for the fun of it, expecting nothing more or 2) find a contracting job that will bring you in to the company as a professional or 3) work in your chosen profession at another company and seek out contacts who are in your same profession at Disney. By "seek out contacts" I mean 1) transfer to Central Florida, if you can 2) participate in local professional organizations or 3) attend national conferences where similar WDW professionals are likely to attend.

I am not saying you should or shouldn't try. I am warning you that if you try, the odds are against you and the career cost can mean 10's of thousands less as you approach retirement; possible bankruptcy along the way; inability to purchase a home; and similar dire but very possible consequences.

Each time I put a buck down for a lottery ticket, the convenience store clerk says the same thing: "Good luck".

For a lot of companies though, Disney included, hiring from within is a far more popular practice than hiring someone external. It's far cheaper cost wise. Having worked at several large companies (Eastman Kodak and Time Warner to name a couple) this is fairly common. Sometimes getting your foot in the door is what you need to do. It might be competitive to start over, but it's far more competitive when you're on the outside looking in.

sandicinderelli

For a lot of companies though, Disney included, hiring from within is a far more popular practice than hiring someone external. It's far cheaper cost wise. Having worked at several large companies (Eastman Kodak and Time Warner to name a couple) this is fairly common. Sometimes getting your foot in the door is what you need to do. It might be competitive to start over, but it's far more competitive when you're on the outside looking in.

My thoughts exactly. Then, again, different careers may produce different results.

I'd just rather be on the inside rather than on the outside looking in. Just my two cents.

ImaYoyo

What exactly do you want to do? Hardware repair? Web Maintinence? Support? Are you familiar with Siebel or similar CRM systems? Are you familiar with Workbrain or Logibro? Oracle based systems?

Years ago, out of the blue, I got a call from Casting for an interview. Was employed but doing a limited search for the bigger, better deal. Spent about 90 minutes on the phone. Never did ask how they got my name (it was a bit unsettling at the time to get cold-called like that). Said they'd call me back for a followup. But later that day, I rec'd a bona fide offer from another company and thought, a bird in the hand . . .

So it's 9 years later now. The family despises Seattle (and the wife is not too thrilled with my employer) so I'm thinking of Disney again. But I'm wondering how well they pay in the IT field? Anyone have any firsthand knowledge how well they compare to the industry in general? I'm talking multiple years of mid-level experience (like Project Mgr and such) and not a freshly-minted admin with the ink still wet on their certs.

The bummer is that most, if not all of the IT work seems located in Seattle or L.A. Why don't I ever see corporate IT positions in Orlando?

KeithVH

Original Poster
What exactly do you want to do? Hardware repair? Web Maintinence? Support? Are you familiar with Siebel or similar CRM systems? Are you familiar with Workbrain or Logibro? Oracle based systems?

Most likely project management or business analysis. If you would have asked me 13-14 years ago, I would have said hardware or web. Way past that scale of pay now. But I think I lack an understanding of Disney's classification system. For example, I see there is currently a slot open for a Senior Manager in Publishing Systems. Title and duty-wise, that comes fairly close to what I do right now. Then I read the requirements (3 languages for example, no problem) and it seems what they REALLY want is a simple technician. Although I might apply for this one - easily meet the requirements. Must be a small shop is my guess. Will have to see if they can meet my salary expectations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom