How ugly will the AKL refurb be?

Philo

I'm going to stay at the AKL next April for 6 days before going to the WL. I knew there were some refurbs going on till next year but my Travel Agent said that theire will be work going on till 2009.

If they are doing a refurb on the lobby or in another public area, how bad will it look? I'm not too fussed about the noise levels but I would like the place to look nice at least.

I'm not too worried about it if its just the new building (as long as that isn't part of my savannah view!). If I were to get a bad view, do you think I could get the room changed? It's my honeymoon :sohappy: so I hope they will be nice!

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Disney are the masters of the barely-noticeable refurb/construction. I wouldn't worry. Most of the work will be hidden from view and done during the day while you're out enjoying yourselves.

Have a wonderful honeymoon!

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

The Animal Kingdom Lodge will conduct a major construction project March 5, 2007 through April 30, 2009. The project entails the addition of the new Animal Kingdom Villa buildings in the vicinity of the Lodge, Guests may see and/or hear signs of construction. All construction is scheduled for daytime hours only; such that, Guests will not encounter any disruptions during normal sleeping hours.

Upvote 0

Philo

Original Poster
Thats great thanks!

I know that Disney are good with this sort of thing but I didn't want to walk into the lobby and have to duck under ladders!

Upvote 0

Disney MDACK

What about the noise? I have been reading a few scary reviews on tripadvisor.com..."If any of you are used to a 5 star resort, this will not fit the bill. Currently there is construction going on just outside the hotel and the noise is constant from 7am to 5pm. The rooms are very small and very dark. I had read other reviews and I felt the people were overreacting, but it is true, small and dark."
And one more..."What did let us down? Well, as others have said, our room was booked and then a couple of months down the road we received a letter explaining there would be construction going on. Well let me say it wasn't the easiest getting the toddler to nap with impact drills and pounding going on. And they were quite loud going on between 9am and 6pm."

I myself have a 2 year old and worry about getting her to take a nap :snore:. Anyone else have similar stories.

Upvote 0

Anything Disney

I spoke with the Concierge at AKL last week. To hear him tell it, the construction noise is from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. Nap time might be difficult, but the lower floor you are on, the better chance you won't hear it. He said all the concierge rooms 5-6th floors are being turned into DVC rooms, so now concierge is on the 3-4th floors, but the Club lounge is still on 5th. As for small and dark, that sounds pretty nap inviting to me! When are you going? I leave in 23 days, and I'll be sure to post what I can. I'm a work-a-holic, so I will have my laptop!

Upvote 0

Champion

What about the noise? I have been reading a few scary reviews on tripadvisor.com..."If any of you are used to a 5 star resort, this will not fit the bill.

Got to here when I disregarded. If you are expecting AKL to be a 5 star resort even without construction, you need to cancel your reservations.

Upvote 0

DisneyChik17

Got to here when I disregarded. If you are expecting AKL to be a 5 star resort even without construction, you need to cancel your reservations.

I agree. I didn't find the resort that awe-inspiring. All the shows that I have seen made this resort look like the best thing since sliced bread, but I was completely under-whelmed by it. I have been much more impressed with value resorts. I am glad we visited before we booked a stay there.

Upvote 0

ktink

We were booked for AKL for this September but we changed yesterday to WL. We had read several bad reviews and just didn't want to take the chance of construction putting a damper on our vacation.

Upvote 0

Mickeyman116

I just on the Zebra Trail at AKL about 3 weeks ago, and the construction can be heard but not seen. Our entire trip we didnt see one thing to even hint that they were doing construction. But, we did heard it! One morning (the one morning we decided to sleep in), we heard drilling at 9am! We thought it was just someones phone vibrating, but it was much more intense than that! Also, one day we got a letter saying that they are checking the fire alarms and to not react to them. We also got another letter stating that from 10 to 1, they are shutting off the electricity for some sort of check. they even gave us an in-room flashlight! I dont know if that was part of the construction but it happened!

Upvote 0

crazydaveh

I don't think you will be able to see or hear much until later in the construction process. If you go this summer, they'll be in the "foundation process" so you won't hear or see that much. A year from now it will be much different with the interior being made, so lots of drilling and stuff like that will be taking place.

Just my opinion. I could be wrong, I could be right. Just have fun!

Upvote 0

fizzle75

My wife and I stayed at AKL on our honeymoon back in 2005 and it is hands down our favorite resort. We recently became DVC members and during our recent visit 3 weeks ago we toured the new AKL preview room set up at the DVC preview center at Saratoga Springs, it is gorgeous. The theming and design are breathtaking. We got to view much larger versions of the maps and proposed designs for the new AKL villas,lobby and pool area. I don't think you have anything to worry about, it's going to be fantastic!!! Here are some pics that I took while at the preview center...
100_1818.jpg

100_1817.jpg

100_1816.jpg

As you can see, the imagineers are going with a strong Lion King theme, which I personally love and I think it works perfectly with the whole AKL vibe. They even worked the Lion King theme into the tile on the wall in the bathroom...
100_1815.jpg

And, just for the record, I disagree strongly with those who don't like AKL. I personally don't see how you can't be won over by the incredible design/themeing, surroundings and the incredible food offered at both Boma and Jiko, heck, even The Mara is great. I also think their gift shop is one of the best on property. Ok, i'll quit gushing.

Upvote 0

Nicole220

My wife and I stayed at AKL on our honeymoon back in 2005 and it is hands down our favorite resort. We recently became DVC members and during our recent visit 3 weeks ago we toured the new AKL preview room set up at the DVC preview center at Saratoga Springs, it is gorgeous. The theming and design are breathtaking. We got to view much larger versions of the maps and proposed designs for the new AKL villas,lobby and pool area. I don't think you have anything to worry about, it's going to be fantastic!!! Here are some pics that I took while at the preview center...
100_1818.jpg

100_1817.jpg

100_1816.jpg

As you can see, the imagineers are going with a strong Lion King theme, which I personally love and I think it works perfectly with the whole AKL vibe. They even worked the Lion King theme into the tile on the wall in the bathroom...
100_1815.jpg
The Lion King is my favorite animated Disney movie, and I love those little touches in the room! How cute! I want those tiles!!

Upvote 0

Disney MDACK

I'll be going Oct. 8-13. Now I am kind of torn if I should change hotels? My oldest daughter (6) is looking forward to seeing animals outside her window. But if I can't get my younger daughter to take a nap it will be one long and cranky vacation.

Upvote 0

COProgressFan

I agree. I didn't find the resort that awe-inspiring. All the shows that I have seen made this resort look like the best thing since sliced bread, but I was completely under-whelmed by it. I have been much more impressed with value resorts. I am glad we visited before we booked a stay there.

Really? Just out of curiosity what about the values is so impressive? I ask this seriously. To me they are just motels with some big decorated icons...

I know the AKL is lacking in some areas (small rooms for example) and may not be the definition of luxury, but the resort as a whole is just beautiful and grand, and so heavily themed.

Just wondering.
CoP

Upvote 0

Champion

I wouldn't say that AKL isn't impressive. It is. But nothing on property is a five star resort. You can make the argument that GF can be a four star, but nothing is five. AKL is a solid three star performer, and it pulls off its theme well.

I'll be going Oct. 8-13. Now I am kind of torn if I should change hotels? My oldest daughter (6) is looking forward to seeing animals outside her window. But if I can't get my younger daughter to take a nap it will be one long and cranky vacation.

With the long days of being in the parks, I'd venture to say that a little construction noise won't be anything to sleep through.

Upvote 0

DisneyChik17

Really? Just out of curiosity what about the values is so impressive? I ask this seriously. To me they are just motels with some big decorated icons...

I know the AKL is lacking in some areas (small rooms for example) and may not be the definition of luxury, but the resort as a whole is just beautiful and grand, and so heavily themed.

Just wondering.
CoP

Everything I had seen on it talked it up and then when I walked in I just though "This is it? You really mean to tell me that people spend money to stay here for a week when I counld get two weeks at the POP for the same or maybe just a little more." The values are exactly what they are promoted as. Cutely and heavily themed resorts at a lower cost. I have been impressed with many other resorts such as POR, Boardwalk, Y&BC. We have walked around looking at resorts for over an hour and we looked at AKL for about 20 minutes and saw everything.

Upvote 0

COProgressFan

Everything I had seen on it talked it up and then when I walked in I just though "This is it? You really mean to tell me that people spend money to stay here for a week when I counld get two weeks at the POP for the same or maybe just a little more." The values are exactly what they are promoted as. Cutely and heavily themed resorts at a lower cost. I have been impressed with many other resorts such as POR, Boardwalk, Y&BC. We have walked around looking at resorts for over an hour and we looked at AKL for about 20 minutes and saw everything.

Well, to each his own I guess. In my mind the value resorts are hardly themed at all -- they are generic multi story motels with large scattered icons. The AKL on the other hand is a richy detailed representation of a specific place (to some degree - I mean, we all know its just a hotel in Orlando, not really Africa). I think it may be one of the best themed hotels on property in that they are many layers of detail that contribute to the overall effect.

Also, I appreciate the fact that it is one of the least expensive deluxes, though that is largely due to the fact that it is so isolated from the rest of the property -- transportation can be an issue.

CoP

Upvote 0

ThomasFamily3

I Love AKL

My husband, son, and I will be making our 3rd trip to Walt Disney World this November. We have stayed at the AKL every time and will stay there again this November. In my opinion it is definitely not a 3 star resort, but much closer to a 5. If you have children and they love animals, this is the place to be. My son sits out on the balcony every morning and checks off every animal he see's from the sheet the lodge gives you of all the animals. There are many wonderful things to do at the lodge during the entire day. This is one of our favorite places to stay!!

Upvote 0

no2apprentice

Well, to each his own I guess. In my mind the value resorts are hardly themed at all -- they are generic multi story motels with large scattered icons. The AKL on the other hand is a richy detailed representation of a specific place (to some degree - I mean, we all know its just a hotel in Orlando, not really Africa). I think it may be one of the best themed hotels on property in that they are many layers of detail that contribute to the overall effect.

Also, I appreciate the fact that it is one of the least expensive deluxes, though that is largely due to the fact that it is so isolated from the rest of the property -- transportation can be an issue.

CoP

The opening sentence says it best. I don't think anyone is "right or wrong" when it comes to where to stay. There are ups and downs to everything on or off property, it just depends on what your priorities, tastes, budget, and expectations are for a vacation.

We love AKL. It has everything to offer my family for a nice vacation...especially the giraffes, which my wife LOVES. We have a great time in the evening going to listen to the storytellers and the presentations about Africa from the Savannah Guides. This year we're hoping to try the night viewing of the animals.

But I won't think less of someone if they don't care for AKL and would rather stay somewhere else, even off property. I just hope they feel good about their decision and have a good time at WDW.:D

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom