How to plan Disney MGM, particularly Fantasmic

Disneynutcase

Original Poster
The new ticketing system is creating anxiety at our house. Pros to old tickets are that a Park Hopper Plus included just about everything we needed...or at least thought we'd need.

My family is planning to go to WDW in June--two families total, one from Atlanta, one from Los Angeles--for ten days.

Our original plan was to park hop a bit--not every day, but some days--and use the "plus" to do the water parks.

Now we're thinking that we can save money by not purchasing the park hop--saving us about $300...which makes us stuck in one park for the day.

So now it's one full day at Disney/MGM (where we were going to split it up before). We'd like to catch a performance of Fantasmic, but aren't sure about how best to do it.

Which leaves me these questions that hopefully someone can answer:

1) In mid-June, do they have more than one performance of Fantasmic per night? If so, do any of you remember the performance times?

2) Because of decent crowds, is it better to do the Fantasmic Dinner Package, or wait and go to the late performance (assuming there is one)?

3) If there are two performances a night, which show do you get a Fantasmic Dinner Package pass for--the first one or second one...or would we get either as an option?

Help!

Thanks...

barnum42

I've not looked at the new ticket system (seems to have been set up by the same sadists that came up with ariline ticket and mobile phone pricing systems).
If you are in town for ten days have you thought about an Annual Pass? Come and go as you please, free parking and if you are staying onsite there are often discounts on hotel rooms to be had.

Disneynutcase

Original Poster
We're only planning to do 6 days at the theme parks, using the other days for the water parks and Kennedy Space Center. On our theme park days, we were thinking park hop, but the reality is both MGM and AK can pretty much be done in one full day apiece, leaving MK and Epcot two slower paced days apiece.

We were thinking about doing mornings in one park, go back and swim in the afternoon, then evenings in a second park (hence the "park hop").

Right now as a family of 8 (two families total), we're kind of focusing on how to best budget the vacation. Annual Passes are too expensive and there's no way any of us would be back to WDW within a year.

But thanks for the advice.

CoffeeJedi

Disneynutcase said:
We were thinking about doing mornings in one park, go back and swim in the afternoon, then evenings in a second park (hence the "park hop").
i've always found that MGM is absolutely dead in the morning, whereas Magic Kingdom is packed to the gills until about 2pm when it just "empties out" (basically all the kids get tired)
Epcot is pretty easy in the morning (but only half of it is open), but Animal Kingdom is pretty busy due to people wanting to catch the lions before it gets too hot for them to be out

this correlate with everyone else?

English Belle

On the Fantasmic questions, no specific answers but just a couple of comments. Don't know if there will be more than 1 performance when you visit, but if there is the latest one is likely to be the least crowded.
On the dinner packages, we have had mixed experiences ranging from a lovely meal (Brown Derby) and minimal wait for a great show to a lovely meal (Hollywood and Vine) an hour wait and then the show cancelled because of bad weather! Worst was last October where we had a very poor meal (Mama Melrose, led to complaints etc) which took 2 hours and then still had an hour wait for the show. On reflection, we agreed we should have purchased take away food in the park and eaten while we waited for the show - probably would have had 90 minute wait but would still have saved 90 minutes and $$s! Sorry, not sure where I'm going with this except to say think before opting for the dinner package - bear in mind that it can be bad value for money and you still might not see the show.

Tom

Beta Return
I'm sure Belle's expereince with the Dinner Package is pretty typical. We've done it 3 times now, the last 3 Junes in a row. In June 2002, we ate a Mama's, had a great meal, got our vouchers, got to the show's back entrance at 8:30 and sat down, with a 30-min wait for the show - perfect!

In 2003, we ate at, um, the Buffet one....I forget the name because it was NOT worth the $$. Same as above on the vouchers and the show - perfect.

In 2004, we returned to Mama's because we love it. Meal price had gone up from 2002, I think, but was still good. Took a long time though - I think that's they're new theme in there, haha. Got the vouchers. At 8pm, the skies opened up. We waited it out in our ponchos, and sat down at 830. At 8:59, they cancelled the one and only show that night - no rain checks on the vouchers.

So, if the forecast doens't call for rain that night - I say book it!

Woody13

English Belle said:
On reflection, we agreed we should have purchased take away food in the park and eaten while we waited for the show - probably would have had 90 minute wait but would still have saved 90 minutes and $$s! Sorry, not sure where I'm going with this except to say think before opting for the dinner package - bear in mind that it can be bad value for money and you still might not see the show.

Excellent idea! :wave:

Tom

Beta Return
TAC said:
If you choose the dinner package for Fantasmic!, please realize that you do NOT get the BEST seats in the theater. You get good seats, but you are off to the side of the show.

If you have never seen Fantasmic! before, and plan on video taping or shooting pictures, and really want to see the show from dead center, wait the 90 minutes and grab a seat in the center section (Mickey), up near the top of the section. I say the top, because I asked about shooting pictures (1000 ASA film), and a VERY NICE CM moved me to the top row just before the show started.

There are many opinions on where is the best place (section) to see it, sit up high or down low, etc. I think however, that anywhere in the center 3 sections from about 10 rows from the bottom to the top would be fine. Below the first 10 rows, the railing is in the way.

I agree with this info, pretty much. Center and high is always the ideal seating for almost any large-stage production. However, I've only seen Fantasmic from the stage-left (house-right) side of the theater, using the DInner Package, and I've never missed a thing. Every barge comes past you, you're still right in front of a water-screen, and you can see everything on the stage.

So, still, it just depends on your budget for dinner, whether you have little ones with you and would rather sit there for 30min instead of 90, and how badly you want to sit in the center of the house.

Thousands of opinions - none wrong - just your individual needs. :)

I've been looking into this too. We're going in (gasp) July. (I know, what are we thinking -- July!!! -- But it's the only time we can go).

1. Should I book the PS 90 days out? I'm afraid if we wait, there won't be anything available.

2. Also, AllEars.net says that a deposit equal to the price of meal is required at the time of the PS. So, for a family of 12 (10 aduls, 2 kids) that means we have to charge the entire 10X$2X plus 2x$9.99? Seems alot. Is it refundable?

3. We're also looking into Chef Mickey's. Do I need to make PS 90 days out too?

Thanks!
Chele

Tom

Beta Return
Dakotadogy said:
I've been looking into this too. We're going in (gasp) July. (I know, what are we thinking -- July!!! -- But it's the only time we can go).

1. Should I book the PS 90 days out? I'm afraid if we wait, there won't be anything available.

2. Also, AllEars.net says that a deposit equal to the price of meal is required at the time of the PS. So, for a family of 12 (10 aduls, 2 kids) that means we have to charge the entire 10X$2X plus 2x$9.99? Seems alot. Is it refundable?

Thanks!
Chele

As for the Fantasmic PS, no, you can walk into the park, head to Guest Relations and book in that AM. My friends met us down there last June. My brother and I had ours booked way in advance, because I'm super--retentive, but they booked theirs that AM with no problem. Of course, that was the year the show was cancelled due to rain and lightning at 8:59. Since your party is so big though, I'd book now.

Not sure about the deposit. Doesn't seem right to charge you for the entire dinner when you book it. Call and ask :)

I would book Chef Mickey's now.

scorp111

Dakotadogy said:

Thanks!
Chele

For the Dinner Package, I am quite sure that you are only guaranteeing your reservation, much the same as you would do with a normal non-disney hotel. The Dinner Shows, Aloha & Hoop-De-Revue, you actually prepurchase.

You actually pay for the Fantasmic Dinner package after the meal. At least that is what has happened with me in both Sept. and Dec. '04.

GenerationX

Disneynutcase said:
So now it's one full day at Disney/MGM (where we were going to split it up before). We'd like to catch a performance of Fantasmic, but aren't sure about how best to do it.
What I would do, if I were you, would be to arrive at Disney/MGM at park open when the lines are very short. You'll be able to get much of your touring done before lunch. Sometime shortly after lunch, go back to the hotel for a lengthy break, where hopefully the kids will nap. Then, just after dinner, return to the park for re-entry. Finish your touring and catch the late showing of Fantasmic.

Dakotadogy said:

If you know when you want to eat at a particular restaurant and you're vacationing in the busy season, always make the PS. If your plans change while you're there, you can call and try to reschedule it. It's surprising how fast some of the available PS get snapped up.

I had the same experience scorp111 did with regards to payment for the Fantasmic dinner package.

shoppingnut

I have done the dinner package at the Brown Derby several times and the food has always been great. This past July I took my 10 year old nephew to Disney and we only had 5 days, so in order to make the most of our trip I thought it best to do the dinner package. I called the week before and had no problem with PS reservations (it was just me and him), but with a group of 12, I would definitely do that as soon as you could. By doing the dinner package, we were able to do the Indy stunt show right after dinner. If we had not done the dinner package, we would have had to head right over and get in line for fantasmic. I didn't want him to miss fantasmic, it is a truely awesome show. I personally think it is totally insane to wait 90 mins. with little ones in a line when you could do the dinner package and arrive 30 mins ahead. Everyone's nerves would be far better off and YOU and the little ones would definitely have a better time. Remember, this is your vacation too. I've been to Mama Melrose for a regular dinner and was quite unhappy with both the service and quality of their food.

Tiggerfanatic

I believe if you go to Disney's web site, Fantasmic show times are listed on the monthly calendar of events for the park. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing them when I was making the plans for my November trip.:animwink:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom