How to become a Disney travel agent?

woverbay11

I am a stay at home dad and my youngest will be starting Kindergarten in July so I will have a lot more time on my hands. I have always loved planning vacations and absolutely love Disney World. We are DVC members and try to go at least every year. So I figured what better to do than to use my love for Disney to help others enjoy the most magical place on earth. Can anyone give me any tips on where to start?

Thanks!

Amy Angeli

That is not standard.

I have heard of it, but it's not the norm.

I'd love to know who that is.
I don't want to say who it is since I've already signed the Non-Disclosure agreement but the wording of the contract makes it sound like I would owe the difference. I'm trying to get clarification before I sign. I've also been asked to send an up front fee with signed contract to cover administrative fees, biz cards, etc. Is this standard? I'm so excited about starting this Disney journey but I want to make sure I'm protected in some ways and definitely want to sign with a reputable company.
Thanks!

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I don't want to say who it is since I've already signed the Non-Disclosure agreement but the wording of the contract makes it sound like I would owe the difference. I'm trying to get clarification before I sign. I've also been asked to send an up front fee with signed contract to cover administrative fees, biz cards, etc. Is this standard? I'm so excited about starting this Disney journey but I want to make sure I'm protected in some ways and definitely want to sign with a reputable company.
Thanks!

It would depend on how high those fees are. You are basically entering into a full commission sales position. As with most jobs like that, the employer will hire just about anyone as there is little to no risk for them especially when you pay for everything. What I would be concerned with is what you are getting for your money. Is there a support system for you if you have questions? Do they provide training? Do they provide sales leads? Do the advertise? Do they sponsor a travel forum?

Upvote 0

Amy Angeli

All great questions that I should be asking. Upfront fee is $125. It seems there is a good support system as I'm being assigned to a team and will have a team leader to go to. They said I'd be able to do the College of Knowledge which I understand is free of charge. Beyond that training, I'm not sure. I'm on my own for sales leads. Not sure about how or where they advertise other than FB nor do I know about a travel forum. Also the commission breakdown is 60% (me) 40% (them) which seems fair based on everything I've read. They would also provide me E&O insurance but I'm not sure what the cost of that is.

Upvote 0

Amy Angeli

Have you been able to talk to other agents?
No I haven't. Went full force with this one and did my own research looking for bad reviews online and read everything I could about the company. Never saw one bad thing. I've been going through their 4 week application process and just got the offer last week. I've been reviewing the contract since Friday and something in my gut is telling me not to sign it. So now I'm trying to find out if all they are contracting me for is on par with the general Disney travel industry. I most especially don't want to owe $ out of my pocket if I don't meet quota. That's what my husband understands the verbiage to say. I'll be so disappointed after all my hard work applying (application, homework, video, etc.) but I don't want to sign on to something that could hurt me in the end. I'm looking to do this leisurely at first, starting slow with friends and family to see how that goes first before jumping fully in. But if I have sales quotas to meet it not only changes that but also gives me a level of stress when I was really doing this out of joy and my love for Disney.

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
They had you sign a non-disclosure agreement. OY! My agents pay no fees except their IATA card and their seller of travel license fees. I pay for the insurance. Many agencies these days even if they are Authorized Disney Vacation Planners are doing some really shady things. One thing Disney frowns upon is an Earmarked agency charging agents a fee to join.

Pam

Upvote 0

Amy Angeli

They had you sign a non-disclosure agreement. OY! My agents pay no fees except their IATA card and their seller of travel license fees. I pay for the insurance. Many agencies these days even if they are Authorized Disney Vacation Planners are doing some really shady things. One thing Disney frowns upon is an Earmarked agency charging agents a fee to join.

Pam
So the non-disclosure is not norm either? OY is right! This is sounding worse and worse. But everything on their site makes them look extremely reputable, down to their agents photos and bios. All seem to be Disney lovers, mostly moms just like me, and seem to love it. What am I missing? They don't do IATA currently (plan to next year) b/c it is so expensive so they currently operate under CLIA. Not sure if one is better or worse than the other.

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
IATA is definitely better to have since it's harder to get. You haven't signed the contract so I think that would void out the non-disclosure. the contract is what is going to be binding. If you do not work for them and haven't started working for them, then it should be null and void.

Pam

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

IATA is
So the non-disclosure is not norm either? OY is right! This is sounding worse and worse. But everything on their site makes them look extremely reputable, down to their agents photos and bios. All seem to be Disney lovers, mostly moms just like me, and seem to love it. What am I missing? They don't do IATA currently (plan to next year) b/c it is so expensive so they currently operate under CLIA. Not sure if one is better or worse than the other.
Actually cheaper, just more difficult to qualify for.

Upvote 0

Amy Angeli

Well now I need to figure out how to tell the good ones from the bad ones? Are either one of you looking for agents? What's the best way to tell who is reputable and who isn't? And can I do this on a part time basis starting out and increase biz as I can or is that frowned upon? I really want to do this! I have friends lined up ready to book with me! I just need to be part of a good agency that will treat me right, pay me fairly and give me all the knowledge and training I need!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom