How much of a pain is bringing a stroller?

WDWmom64055

My thoughts...

at all costs, bring your own. One thing that surprised me on my trip is that your stroller will never be where you left it. They have an army of stroller movers. My stroller stood out in the crowd...saving me tons of search time. (This is one reason I question the folks on boards who all say you have to have one certain brand of stroller...my thought is that if you bring your own, what you have now, it will be more likely to stand out!)

Additionally, my stroller had room in the back for a bag filled with wipes, sunscreen, snacks, etc. Meaning I didn't have to carry those all day. All the Disney stroller's I've seen are molded plastic...no room underneath to stash your stuff.

Speaking of molded plastic...I liked having my own, where if a kid fell asleep I could recline it and let him sleep. I can't imagine wanting to sit on hard hot plastic for hours a day.

I'm a single mom, so, yes, it was a hassle. But, not having the stroller would have been worse. Check with your airline and see if you can gate check it. Both times I did this it was a breeze. I took it to the airplane and the stewardess put it in a closet. I had it all the way!

happymom52003

One thing that surprised me on my trip is that your stroller will never be where you left it. They have an army of stroller movers. My stroller stood out in the crowd...saving me tons of search time. (This is one reason I question the folks on boards who all say you have to have one certain brand of stroller...my thought is that if you bring your own, what you have now, it will be more likely to stand out!)

I bought a couple of ugly (and I mean UGLY!) scarves at Target....bright polka dots. Horrible looking! We tied them to the handles of our strollers....you could spot those suckers from a mile away!:ROFLOL:

tabbykatt

My family travels to Disney every May for 10 night vacations. There are a total of 7 babies all 4 and under so you can see how many strollers we need on these trips. We always bring ours with us. A couple of doubles and a single.

1. We don't take the bus instead we drive to the parks and take advantage of the free parking. This prevents us from having to get the babies and strollers on and off the bus. When the buses are busy it's the last thing you want to deal with.
2. Having your own stroller means you can use it the minute you get out of your car till the minute you get back in. Imagine having to try to carry all the babies to the car when they are tired and you had to return the rental stroller back in the park.
3. It's your stroller! You can take it to Downtown Disney, around the resort or anywhere you visit off property.
4. Most of all is the cost to rent that many strollers for that many days. Think of the money we save!

On the downside, the only problem we have is getting the strollers on and off the trams. It is definitely the hardest part of bringing your own stroller. But it is the only drawback so well worth the extra work.

On a side note, we don't use umbrella strollers because we find them to be smaller in height and hunching over a stroller all day in the parks can definitely cause some back aches.

Hope this help.....:king:

DisneyJoe

HunnyPot

I've been debating about bringing my own stroller so I'm thrilled I found this thread! I have one main concern about bringing my own...I've heard horror stories of people's strollers getting stolen when they leave them at rides. I've even heard people say that their rented WDW strollers walk off with other people. I've never had to rent one before (this is the first trip I've taken with a child) and I'm nervous about that. I don't mean to sound distrusting or paranoid, but sadly in this world we live in, this type of thing does happen. Any advice about that??

I like the thought of taking my own stroller though, because DD will glady take her nap(s) all day in her stroller when we're shopping or something. So I'm hoping she'll do the same at WDW.

happymom52003

I've been debating about bringing my own stroller so I'm thrilled I found this thread! I have one main concern about bringing my own...I've heard horror stories of people's strollers getting stolen when they leave them at rides. I've even heard people say that their rented WDW strollers walk off with other people. I've never had to rent one before (this is the first trip I've taken with a child) and I'm nervous about that. I don't mean to sound distrusting or paranoid, but sadly in this world we live in, this type of thing does happen. Any advice about that??

I like the thought of taking my own stroller though, because DD will glady take her nap(s) all day in her stroller when we're shopping or something. So I'm hoping she'll do the same at WDW.

I really do not think stroller theft is a real big problem at Disney. I am sure it happens on occasion, but I would not worry about it. Just do not leave any valuables in it. The Cm's do move the strollers around...more often than not your stroller will be in a different place when you get off, so just be sure to tie a scarf or something on your stroller to make it easier to find.
If you have a really expensive stroller and you are still worried about it, you could always purchase a cheaper umbrella stroller to use at Disney. But honestly, I would not worry about it!

I've been taking strollers to the parks 5 or 6 times a year for the past 8 years and have never had a problem.
Definately make sure to put something on the handle to make it stand out though ;)

HunnyPot

Great thanks! I think taking my own stroller would be so much easier than trying to rent, but a friend of mine had me concerned about theft. Glad to hear it's not a huge problem!

No, now that I think about it though, there are a couple things to watch out for.
1. If you put drinks in or under the strollers, and the CM's move the stroller, more times than not, our drinks were spilt.
2. I have seen birds eating snacks out of and off of other people's strollers in the past, leaving lovely bird presents behind, so beware to cover your snacks!
Have fun!

butterfly18237

I have a question about strollers. I am not bring one since my son will be 5 and not need one all day long. But my question is if I needed to rent one mid day will there be some available?

NewfieFan

I have a question about strollers. I am not bring one since my son will be 5 and not need one all day long. But my question is if I needed to rent one mid day will there be some available?

I would imagine there would be some still available in Sept. During the summer months though, I think it's a different story! Please keep in mind there was a price increase on single and double stroller rentals.

(I'm actually bringing a stroller for my 5 year old son in Sept. - it's cheaper for me to buy one than rent one for the duration of my trip! If he doesn't end up needing it that much, oh well, at least I have it when I do need it!)

Have a great vacation!:wave:

partyoffour

I say not as much pain it brings me to give up 30 to 40 bucks a day to rent a stroller. If you multiply that by the amount of days you stay . U could get a nice double stroller that is light weight . Or get 2 umbrella strollers and hook them together cheap and works fine.

BigB911

What about flying with an umbrella stroller? Can these be carried on the plane, or do they need to be checked?

...thanks...

jessicaj

What about flying with an umbrella stroller? Can these be carried on the plane, or do they need to be checked?

...thanks...

You can check it in at the gate. So when you get off the flight on the other end your stoller will be right there for you.

We usually bring our full size stroller only because i like all the basket room for extra stuff and don't find all that much of a pain to travel with it. Although I guess I am not a good judge because we have never been without one. LOL Once my DD was old enough to be out we had our DS who will be in a stoller for the next 3 to 4 years or so.

BigB911

You can check it in at the gate. So when you get off the flight on the other end your stoller will be right there for you.

We usually bring our full size stroller only because i like all the basket room for extra stuff and don't find all that much of a pain to travel with it. Although I guess I am not a good judge because we have never been without one. LOL Once my DD was old enough to be out we had our DS who will be in a stoller for the next 3 to 4 years or so.

You know, once I reread my post, I got a chuckle out of it! I thought, "Umbrella strollers can't fly, you shmuck!" And then I congered up thoughts of Mary Poppins aloft with an umbrella stroller, instead of the umbrella!

Anyways, thanks for the tip. I called Southwest and asked, but the lady really didn't know. And, believe me, I'd love to take a big stroller with the cup holder and all, but my DD is 4, and too big for that one!

Jessie&Buzz

You know, once I reread my post, I got a chuckle out of it! I thought, "Umbrella strollers can't fly, you shmuck!" And then I congered up thoughts of Mary Poppins aloft with an umbrella stroller, instead of the umbrella!

Anyways, thanks for the tip. I called Southwest and asked, but the lady really didn't know. And, believe me, I'd love to take a big stroller with the cup holder and all, but my DD is 4, and too big for that one!

We flew Southwest about 2 years ago. I took the stroller right to the gate. Once there we went to the checkin desk and they printed out a tag for the stroller. We wheeled it right down to the plane and left it. They folded it and put it on board. When we to got to Orlando we had to wait about 2 minutes for them to bring it out and they even opened it for us. They asked that we wait on the plane for a few minutes. By the time we got everything together it was there.

fairetails

Combi

We just got back with my 17mos old. We bought the lime green and gray Combi stroller. It was awesome and easy. It folds up easily and small. Has a shoulder strap to carry. weighs 13lbs. reclines, stands up on its own when folded.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom