How might FP+ work if I upgrade to AP after I get there?

millerwdwfans

Original Poster
HAHAHA! I didn't even know that I was registered here! I have been looking all over the internet all weekend for info on FP+ and it looks like you have some good info here and conveniently all in one easy to find spot on your forums. I thought I would sign up so I could ask a question but apparently I already was LOL.
Anyway, I haven't seen this anywhere. I'm thinking about booking a package with DDP but I would want to upgrade to an AP once I get there. I know that I would be able to make FP+ reservations with the tickets but once I upgrade to APs wouldn't that then make my FP+ reservations invalid because they were made with tix that are no longer valid?
Maybe I'll have to wait until after everything is completely FP+ later this week and see if anyone tries this scenario but it's driving me nuts trying to figure it out. Any input appreciated. Thanks!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
As long as you add your AP to your MDE profile and link the AP to your MagicBand, you will be fine with FP+.

We added our APs after I had made FP+ and we had no problems.

G8rchamps

Added ours in August while staying at POP, linked to MDE, started making FP+ reservation. Going back next month and already have our picks in. You should be fine.

millerwdwfans

Original Poster
I'm still confused. I'm hard to explain things to so bear with me LOL.
Looks like you're both saying you added AP after you got there but Tuvalu, it looks like you may have done exactly what I'm thinking of. You had tickets and made your FP+ with those and then upgraded to AP while there?
Either way, the more I read here it looks like I may be worrying too much. We are looking at one of the lowest crowd levels of the year.
Thank you both!

StarWarsGirl

We had to upgrade my friend's pass while we were there (not to an AP, but we did have to add extra days). Worse case scenario is you have to relink the pass. You should not lose your FP+ selections.

Have a great trip!

JohnD

I'm still confused. I'm hard to explain things to so bear with me LOL.
Looks like you're both saying you added AP after you got there but Tuvalu, it looks like you may have done exactly what I'm thinking of. You had tickets and made your FP+ with those and then upgraded to AP while there?
Either way, the more I read here it looks like I may be worrying too much. We are looking at one of the lowest crowd levels of the year.
Thank you both!

I'm guessing that if you have a package with DDP, you're staying at a resort--usually DDP comes with a resort stay. Putting aside the dining plan for a second, you should have no problem upgrading to an AP. Because you're staying at a resort, you can still make advance FP+s. If you're not staying at resort, then FP+ is still only same-day. Eventually WDW will add advance FP+ to APs whether staying at a resort or not, but that hasn't happened yet.

Now as for the dining plan, because you're upgrading to an AP, I'm not sure you still ge the plan. I think the complete package is usually tied to a resort stay AND multi-day tickets.

millerwdwfans

Original Poster
Oh, thanks JohnD! Now you made me think of something else I can worry about LOL.
We have had DP with APs before. You didn't used to be able to have DP with an AP but we've been able to for the last 2 or 3 years now. We usually already have the AP before we book though. So now I'm wondering if that's going to throw a kink in my plan.:p

SteveW

I would think it still would be all right to do the upgrade to AP while there on the DDP, you still paid for the park tickets. Give Disney a call and ask them before you go so you will know.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Oh, thanks JohnD! Now you made me think of something else I can worry about LOL.
We have had DP with APs before. You didn't used to be able to have DP with an AP but we've been able to for the last 2 or 3 years now. We usually already have the AP before we book though. So now I'm wondering if that's going to throw a kink in my plan.:p
You will not lose your dining plan. I have an AP and booked a room the other day under the AP discount and the CM asked if I wanted to add the dining plan "since AP-ers can do that too".

I turned him down because Tables in Wonderland is a much better deal for us.

JohnD

You will not lose your dining plan. I have an AP and booked a room the other day under the AP discount and the CM asked if I wanted to add the dining plan "since AP-ers can do that too".

I turned him down because Tables in Wonderland is a much better deal for us.

Okay, I stand corrected that you can upgrade to the AP. Still, you'll need to see how the math works out better for you, whether for DDP or TIW. If you upgrade to the AP, you also get to purchase TIW for $100. Then, when you use it, you'll get 20% off food and beverage, including alcohol. An 18% gratuity (now called "service charge", or so I've read on this board) is automatically added to the discounted tab.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom