How Many Points is Enough?

wolfeman

Original Poster
We are a family of 4. Son is 11 and daughter is 8. We are really struggling with how many points to purchase. We were thinking 150 intially, but then there wil be times we may need more. 200 is our max. My question is 150/160 is enough? We know more is better...

cameronmouse

hey there, well im a very new member of the DVC (we closed a little over a month ago). I would think a good question to start with would be what time of the year do you plan on traveling? If it during the slower or "value" seasons then you can get away with a little less point wise as apposed to "busy" season

cameronmouse

thats when we go usually also. We usually go down between thanksgiving and christmas. We opened with 100 points, knowing that it would get us at least a week a year for the four of us (me, my wife, and my 2 sons- 3 and 1 month). We also know that we will wind up adding on as time goes on but for now the 100 points suits us fine. You can also by up to 24 points i believe at about $15 per point for each trip you go on.

Pioneer Hall

You are really going to be the only one who can answer the question. That number is going to depend on many things such as resort, room size, time of year, and so on. Take a look at the current points charts (especially for whatever resort would be your home) and determine what you might need. Then I would throw a few extra points on to allow for the occasional reshuffling of the points charts.

Big Ben

160 may be enough for a little while. It does depend on the time of year, weekends vs. weekdays, etc. Also the size of accomodations will play into it. I know they were moving toward the smaller rooms sleeping 5, not sure if they've gone this way with all studio/one bedroom rooms, but they used to only sleep four, two to a bed. So if the kids aren't into doubling up it might be a little bit of a problem. I started with 150 and it was fine, but I don't have any kids. Once the neices & nephews got wind of it 150 points was a little low so we added on to 300. That amount has worked well for me so far.

My reccomendation would be to buy more than the minimum, go with 175 or 200. You could always add on more later.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
When we bought, we figured out how many points were necessary for a week in a 1BR at the time of year we know we always go. As our home resort is OKW, and our favorite time of year to visit is May, the answer was 220.

We've always been satisfied with that number, and in fact the way we travel has changed; we will often take two trips a year and stay in studios at other resorts.

As everyone else has said, only you can figure out how many points are right for you. Have fun! :wave:

tjkraz

The number of points to own is such a unique question for every single owner that it's very hard for anyone else to comment. There are at least 4 different villa sizes, 10 different resorts, 5 different seasons, most resorts have multiple views with different point costs. You didn't even say how many nights you plan on staying during a given trip.

It's really not rocket science. Look at the point charts, figure out where and when you want to stay most often, and see what it costs. Try to take into account any likely changes in habits over the next few years. As the kids get older, will it change the season in which you can vacation? School, sports and other extracarricular activities tend to wreck havoc with vacation schedules as kids reach those pre-teen years.

I'll say this--it's easier to add on later than it is to get rid of points if you have too many.

The difference between 150 and 200 isn't all that extreme, though. If you can afford 200, I'd probably just get 200.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
You can always do what we did. We got 150 points and gave it a go. There where four of us and we had penty of points for our trips. After a few years and the addition of son-in-law and two grandkids, we have now added 100 more points. Recently the family add a daughter-in-law and if more grandkids are on the way, we might have to add a few more points.

wdwfan100

Take a look at a calander and decide how much time you want to stay at Disney. Do you want to go for 1 week in march? Maybe you want to go for 3 long weekends. Maybe a week and a long weekend. At that point it all about looking over the different resort points charts and determining what the total is. We knew we would want to do at least one week per year plus a trip or two in the 3-5 day range. Only purchase the points you can commit to using. You can always add more if needed. We have already added on to our initial purchase which was in 2009. We are considering added some more in the not too distant future. Good luck, we hope to see you in the club soon.

Ralphlaw

I have 160, but I'm looking into buying a few more for our next trip(s). Where can I go to "rent" points for a one time trip, and where can I get away the cheapest? If DVC itself will sell me one time points for $15 a trip, that sounds okay for a few extra points. But if I want a couple hundred, that kind of adds up. Any suggestions?

Cubs Brian

I have 160, but I'm looking into buying a few more for our next trip(s). Where can I go to "rent" points for a one time trip, and where can I get away the cheapest? If DVC itself will sell me one time points for $15 a trip, that sounds okay for a few extra points. But if I want a couple hundred, that kind of adds up. Any suggestions?

FYI you can only "rent" 25 points through DVC. I believe that's per year. Don't really have any clue as to how to rent more. You would probably have to buy points from someone, most of the time they'll charge between $8-10.00 per point. there are websites that deal with this type of transaction but their names have slipped my mind. I'm DVC'ers here can tell you.

flavious27

I say get enough points to cover a week in peak, for high point resort like blt, for either a 1 or 2 bedroom villa. This will allow you to get a week at any of the resorts, anytime of the year.

captainkidd

This is the main reason I haven't (and won't) buy into the DVC. For the amount of time we go, and the season we go, we'd need over 400 points.

captainkidd

Well if you can afford it and go enough, it makes sense.

It's not that simple. Some people see it as "If you go every year, DVC makes sense." There are other factors that some people take into consideration:

1.I don't like that you can only book your home resort 11 months in advance, but others, only 7 months. I like to book about a year ahead.

2.I prefer to have housekeeping included.

3.I like having the knowledge that God forbid that something happens to set us back financially, all I need to do is cancel our trip, and not have to worry about screwing my credit up by defaulting on the DVC loan.

4.There are years when we would prefer to get 2 rooms at a Value or Moderate Resort.

5.If you stay Deluxe all the time will it save you money to buy DVC? Probably. However, in all our Deluxe stays, I've never paid rack rate. When you factor in discounts, DVC isn't as big of a money saver as Disney makes it out to be.

I have nothing at all against DVC, and if the opportunity arises at some point, maybe we will join. I just can't stand when people make it out to be the ONLY way that makes sense if you like to stay at Deluxe Resorts.

harryk

Initially it was only me and my DW. 150 points was more than enough. Then extended family began to get wind or our ownership and we slowly found that we needed to add points. UP to 240 now, usually have a one bedroom and on occassion have enough points for the 2 bedroom. I'd plan on the 200 point range at the $15.00 - the cost of points seems to go up each year.
What with the new GF coming on line in a few years - who knows how much the cost of points will go up!

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
I am a 21 year old college student and 125 points was enough for me. I can get nearly two weeks in regular view studios. Once I have graduated and near the time of ::gasp:: having a family I will add. It is all in your personal situation of what is substantial. My father's annual alotment is a different story. He began with 170 in '07 but is now around 250.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom