How many people complaining have actually used it?

What's your experience with MDE?

• Total voters

durangojim

Original Poster
Just wondering because prior to last week I was in the "Doom and Gloom" camp, but after using it I was very pleased. It's not without its faults but I see real benefit from it. So honestly, how many people on these boards are proclaiming disasters or other severe problems without even trying it yet. And if you have tried it and hate it, let us know too!

Betsyboo

I'm looking forward to using them in February. I like making the FP+ selections ahead of time. I'm keeping an open mind, we'll see what I have to say after the trip. I will say reading these threads sometimes makes the whole thing seem absolutely overwhelming and the doom and gloom about the whole thing can be a turn off.

Weather_Lady

BTW, I believe you mean "couldn't care less." If you "could care less" about something, then it means you do care about it, such that your level of care could possibly decrease. (Forgive me. I was once an English teacher.)

I would modify my answer to say, "I haven't tried it, but if my experience goes precisely as WDW is promising that it will, it will undoubtedly diminish the quality of my family's vacation experience overall."

I can't say I "hate" it, because the little liberal Communist who sits on my left shoulder convincingly whispers in my ear that the new FP+ system offers "the greatest good for the greatest number," and that strolling into DHS with a pre-made TSMM Fastpass will feel wonderful. The self-interested little suit on my right shoulder, however, keeps reminding me that it's not fair for me to pay more money than I did for the last trip and get fewer perks in return, that my son and I can't ride Splash Mountain 3 times in a row anymore with no wait, that early birds are more entitled to a worm, and that I'll spend my entire vacation worrying in the back of my mind that an untrustworthy computer somewhere could "lose" all of our hard-won restaurant and attraction reservations and tickets any moment. In short, I'm not blind to the "good" about MM/FP+ -- but all the good simply won't balance out the bad when it comes to my particular touring style.

Last edited:

kondjott

I came down on the "tried and loved it" side, but there's a big qualifier: I tried it in the fall when I was still able to get paper FP's, so it was basically all roses. I loved getting some "bonus" selections well in advance, I liked seeing the wait times on the app, I liked linking it with Photopass, and my sons think the wristbands are the coolest. With that said, I won't have *really* tried it as Disney intends until my next trip in a couple weeks... we'll see how I like it then.

Figaro928

Tried it in September while it was still in trial phase. We had little to no hiccups with any of the aspects of the system. Our only complaint was that the Wi-Fi in the parks was slow & getting onto and using the app took forever.

I tried it and loved it. But, and there is a big but here, for my DW and I at the time it served its purpose. We loved not having to run all over the park getting fps. I can see if our whole family came for a trip it would be a coordination nightmare. I can see where big families and groups will have issues, especially if one group decides to stay on property and gets the 60+ days perk and the rest of the group doesn't. Who wants to do all of that. Vacations are supposed to be fun. It still has a lot of work to go through before it is perfect if there is such a thing.

Marijil

As I posted when I got back...MMP works....and judging by what I have read there should be a lot more "i haven't tried it and hate it " votes

durangojim

Original Poster
I tried it and loved it. But, and there is a big but here, for my DW and I at the time it served its purpose. We loved not having to run all over the park getting fps. I can see if our whole family came for a trip it would be a coordination nightmare. I can see where big families and groups will have issues, especially if one group decides to stay on property and gets the 60+ days perk and the rest of the group doesn't. Who wants to do all of that. Vacations are supposed to be fun. It still has a lot of work to go through before it is perfect if there is such a thing.
In regards to the big groups issue. I believe the people that make the 60 day reservations can copy those FPs to the rest of their group, but I agree it could be difficult to coordinate with many people.

Ariel484

Tried it the week between Christmas and New Year's and loved it. It allowed us to sleep in but still hit our favorite attractions without crazy, insane waits. The trip was a lot more relaxed than I expected because we weren't up every morning for rope drop fighting the masses to get the paper fastpasses.

We were also lucky in that we made our choices before their tiered the options at Epcot and Hollywood Studios.

luv

Your options are love or hate. Kind of strong, lol. I don't actually hate it, but had to go with that. :)

popcenturylover

I didn't vote because my answer isn't one of the choices. Anyway, we tested FP+ on our last 2 visits. While it worked flawlessly, I'm not impressed. It's bad enough you have to make ressies for dining 6 months out & now you have to plan your whole vacation ahead of time. Our last 2 visits we had free dining offers & after this last visit we've decided to look for a room discount & pay oop for mostly QS meals with a few choice TS meals mixed in on our next trip. (whenever that may be!?)

What I am curious about is who loved it that could not pull paper fast passes too and that had the tiering? I was one of those people and I hated it. Hated only getting 3 at MK. Hated only getting essentially 1 at Epcot. Hated not being able to get 3 FP for TT and 2 for Soarin like we always have been able to in the past in a day. Hated that the MB did not work for FP+ till the last 2 days of our 9 park days. Hated that I had to pull out my paper showing my FP+ to prove it. Hated that they still did not believe us at Soarin and pulled us out of line. Hated that lines were longer for the exact time we always go and rides that never had a line did - like People Mover and Imagination. But yeah a bit less walking. Sorry I rather do more walking and get on more rides. I rather have more than 1 FP for particular rides like we have been able to do in the past. I'd like to be able to FP both TT and Soarin in the same day like before. This is a down grade for us. And really for us with FP+ it is even more essential to get there before rope drop and get on as many rides as possible the first hour and a half because we won't have as many FP as before. I'm glad it works for others but it doesn't work for us.

Figaro928

What I am curious about is who loved it that could not pull paper fast passes too and that had the tiering?

I voted that I loved it. We used it in Early September when there was no tiering and there were paper passes still available. I have a very young family right now so we never picked more than one e-ride a day and never used the paper tickets. So I basically would have utilized it the way it is being used now. It was also a slower time of year so many waits were manageable. That being said, as my kids get older and want to go on more e-tickets, this new system will NOT work for us.

ILDisneyFan

I tried it and loved in in September/October 2013! The app was a little on the slow side but I LOVED being able to schedule fast pass times on it! No rushing to Hollywood Studios to get a Fast Pass for Toy Story Midway Mania and then getting there to find out they've all been distributed! It was awesome! Very convenient! :)

StarWarsGirl

I have tried and I don't really hate nor do I love. I like Magic Bands. I really do. They are extremely convenient. I wish that when I was paying for something to get my AP discount they could have me scan my MB instead of forcing me to pull out my AP. I like the app. I like being able to view dining reservations on my iTouch. I needed to change one for later in the week and did it from the app. It was simple. I also like being able to view wait times.

My biggest pet peeve is FP+. It was nice when we went because we could double dip everywhere except for AK. But that is a thing of the past. I hate how limiting it is. With the old system, we used to get a FP, and when our time rolled around, get another for that same attraction. Now you are restricted. I don't need 3 FPs at Epcot, and the attractions which I would get a FP for are all Tier 1 attractions:banghead:. MBs take a long time to scan at attractions, and each member of your party must scan their MB individually, creating huge lines in front of the attraction and leaving us wondering where the line ends. Restricting FPs to one park a day is also ridiculous, especially when you have an AP or park hopper. Also, we have friends who live in FL. They cannot make FP+ reservations in advance. They will have to go to a kiosk. Hoping that when they come if we go with them to the kiosk we can copy our FP+ selections for the day to them, but I don't have a lot of hope :(

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I have tried and I don't really hate nor do I love. I like Magic Bands. I really do. They are extremely convenient. I wish that when I was paying for something to get my AP discount they could have me scan my MB instead of forcing me to pull out my AP. I like the app. I like being able to view dining reservations on my iTouch. I needed to change one for later in the week and did it from the app. It was simple. I also like being able to view wait times.

My biggest pet peeve is FP+. It was nice when we went because we could double dip everywhere except for AK. But that is a thing of the past. I hate how limiting it is. With the old system, we used to get a FP, and when our time rolled around, get another for that same attraction. Now you are restricted. I don't need 3 FPs at Epcot, and the attractions which I would get a FP for are all Tier 1 attractions:banghead:. MBs take a long time to scan at attractions, and each member of your party must scan their MB individually, creating huge lines in front of the attraction and leaving us wondering where the line ends. Restricting FPs to one park a day is also ridiculous, especially when you have an AP or park hopper. Also, we have friends who live in FL. They cannot make FP+ reservations in advance. They will have to go to a kiosk. Hoping that when they come if we go with them to the kiosk we can copy our FP+ selections for the day to them, but I don't have a lot of hope :(
I think you hit a nail on the head. A very fair review. A lot of the positive reviews coming in are from people who didn't have a limited experience as they were able to double dip with the old system. In addition, I'm seeing a lot of the things that were available before MM+ (linked resort key/tickets/charging/dining plan) touted as "new", when the KTTW card did that prior just fine. The focus shouldn't be on that, as it's not "new", and shouldn't be sold as "new". Rather, the reviews should focus on what has changed or is truly "new".

But, they don't. Over and over again I've read "I thought it was so convenient that I could use it as a my room key and my park ticket", or comments like that. Well, you could do that before as well. :p

I used both FP+ and legacy FP on my trip, and I thought that was awesome...but, had I been limited to just FP+, I suspect I would have felt differently.

While MDE is MUCH better than the old website, it's still wonky.

I don't like the tiers, I don't like the one park limit, I don't like the 3 a day limit. The first two just need to be done away with, but with the latter, I could see a compromise of allowing 3 pre-made choices (even if tiered) combined with day of visit "bonus FP", like, being able to choose 2 or 3 more with no tier or no limit once you are on the park.

Magicbands I liked. Those are pretty cool. I did enjoy the front gate experience with them.

FP+ was ok, but I was able to use legacy FP as well.

I like integration with MDE/Magicbands and Memory Maker (Photopass).

There are pros, there are cons. But overall, to me, a big MEH!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom