• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

How many people actually prefer Winnie the Pooh over Mr. Toad's Wild Ride?

Mr Toad vs. Winnie the Pooh

• Mr. Toad's Wild Ride

Votes: 123 63.4%
  • Winnie the Pooh

Votes: 71 36.6%

• Total voters

Heppenheimer

Why go to hell? Why not go to hell?

Vintage MK was a very different beast from today's park. The castle looks the same and some other stuff looks similar, but the MK has changed immensely in character. Today's park is a girlie, kiddie toddler playground. Vintage MK had a subversive edge, was an adult park.

The Jungle Cruise skipper fired at the animals with his pistol. The pirates pillaged and burned and raped.The Mansion was scary. Snow White was a horror movie. 20k was a claustrophobic death trap under actual water, fighting undersea beasts. Above was the Skyway. Small kids dangling 50 feet above ground in open buckets. Main Street had actual cars. Ariel was topless, bare breasted. If You Had Wings had boys and girls dancing in skimpy bikinis and trunks. Lots of replica toy guns were for sale in Adventureland and Frontierland. You had to physically row your canoe. Psychedelic bands played in Tomorrowland. And Toad was a drugged up DUI ride to hell.
Don't forget Magic Journeys (although that started off as a place-holder in Epcot before Captain Eo was ready). That was one attraction that you could guarantee would make most of the toddlers in the audience cry

But one disagreement... the pirates didn't literally "rape". They just chased the women (how that chase ended is up the imagination).

.So is the difference in the ride just the backdrop?

I can't remember if the track layout for Mr. Toad and Winnie the Pooh are the same, but the tone and feel of the two rides are very different. Winnie the Pooh is like a gentle ride through a story book, Mr. Toad is like a madcap drunken bender through a surreal version of Edwardian England.

Beacon Joe

Advertisement
You had to physically row your canoe.
At WDW? When did they end that? I loved doing that at Disneyland, but don't remember that it was offered at WDW.

DfromATX

I picked Toad even though I've never been on it (unless I rode it in 1984 in Disneyland, but I don't remember). Pooh is ok, but it's a baby ride.

Heppenheimer

At WDW? When did they end that? I loved doing that at Disneyland, but don't remember that it was offered at WDW.
This is an imprecise answer, but sometime between 1989 and 1996. I remember loving it on our 1989 trip, then it not being offered the next time we visited in 1996. Like most of these kinds of attractions, the entertainment level was highly dependent on the showmanship of the guide.

The Empress Lilly

The MK had canoes until 1994. That pivotal year that perhaps more than any other divides WDW history into two halves.

For a pet peeve, Once Upon a Time the MK featured two paddlewheel steamboats, canoes, keelboats, submarines as the central focus point of FL and Swan Boats in the hub and AL. So many boats lost, so much water gone (an abundance of fountains in AL and TL, a lake in FL, a moat in the hub). So much kinetic energy gone. One would canoe past Big Thunder and look at the people in the Swan Boats from the Treehouse.

ChrisFL

Since we got the cheap Pooh version, definitely have to go with Toad. If we had the Tokyo version of Pooh, I would HAVE to go with that.

The Empress Lilly

Losing the best version of Mr. Toad in favour of the 2nd best Winnie the Pooh ride was not a good trade off.
Putting it like that rubs salt in the wound!

WDW Pooh isn't bad. It's a nice dark ride with some good effects and moments.

But Toad was two dark rides, that were closed to make way for one dark ride and a gift shop. Back when this was considered the height of sophisticated revenue increasing strategy.

The small resort, DL has got both Toad and Pooh. Albeit it the cost of losing the Bears. While the massive WDW resort with all the space in the world only agreed to open Poo if it could close another ride. So the world's best two Toad rides were ripped out for a gift shop while right across the closed former 20k plot just sat there unused. Big enough to host multiple rides, shops and restaurants.

Seabasealpha1

As far as the Winnie the Pooh attractions go...I prefer Anaheim over Orlando. But I easily prefer Toad over both. Besides, a trip to Hell with pooh would be controversial. A trip to Hell with Mr. Toad IS AWESOME!

Robbiem

I can never understand why toad was built in Florida. If you were building rides from Disneyland rather than different ones as per the original plan then i would have thought Alice would have been a more popular fit than mr toad. Dont get me wrong being British i grew up with wind in the willows but its just not something id ever associated with disney and is one movie ive never seen

Beacon Joe

This is an imprecise answer, but sometime between 1989 and 1996. I remember loving it on our 1989 trip, then it not being offered the next time we visited in 1996.
The MK had canoes until 1994.
That makes sense. My first visit to WDW was cold and ended early due to the FL-MD Christmas snowstorm in 1989, so it makes sense that I wouldn't have taken a canoe trip that trip. I next went in Spring of 1990, but I guess I didn't want to paddle at the time. Thanks for clarifying my memories.

utterlunacy

While I really enjoy(ed) and prefer Mr. Toad my 3 girls (2/4/6) all love everything Pooh. They have seen Wind in the willows (they love Ichabod), so they would get it, but its not Pooh.

rkleinlein

The small resort, DL has got both Toad and Pooh. Albeit it the cost of losing the Bears. While the massive WDW resort with all the space in the world only agreed to open Poo if it could close another ride. So the world's best two Toad rides were ripped out for a gift shop while right across the closed former 20k plot just sat there unused. Big enough to host multiple rides, shops and restaurants.
Spot on. This is the real shame. WDW has so much room but not enough attractions. Why not keep Toad and add Pooh? Keep Snow White and add the Mine Train? Keep Maelstrom and add Frozen? I'd keep Star Tours too.

Scooter

Judging by the wait times, Pooh wins by a landslide. I was in the parks several times the last few years Mr Toad was open and it was always a walk on. My wife and I road it a few times when we were the only ones on the entire ride. That being said we always go in the off seasons and it may have been busier in the peak times but now it seems like for Pooh there's a long wait no matter what the season, month, day,or time.

Animaniac93-98

Judging by the wait times, Pooh wins by a landslide. I was in the parks several times the last few years Mr Toad was open and it was always a walk on. My wife and I road it a few times when we were the only ones on the entire ride. That being said we always go in the off seasons and it may have been busier in the peak times but now it seems like for Pooh there's a long wait no matter what the season, month, day,or time.
Toad had two tracks and no FP. My guess was capacity was higher (after 1993 they switched from two seat to four seat cars) and MK had a lower annual attendance in the 90s than it does today.

aladdin2007

fastpass, which toad never had, and today you have mass crowds in there year round compared to back then.

aladdin2007

Toad had two tracks and no FP. My guess was capacity was higher (after 1993 they switched from two seat to four seat cars) and MK had a lower annual attendance in the 90s than it does today.
yes this, sorry didnt read first before posting a response lol. but my vote goes with toad, the pooh ride has the worst queue with flat planks of board (yes toad did as a well but it was done much better). the queue and the ride itself need a makeover. Things dont work and its looking shotty in general.

Sir_Cliff

Toad was the kind of unique, off-beat Disney attraction that ended up working its way into popular culture. Pooh is just... fine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom