How long is the drive from Columbus, OH???

JimboJones123

We are planning on driving. Mapquest gives us 977 miles.

Mapquest - 33 - 77 - 26 - 95 - 4

Drive time - 15.5 hrs.

Leaving at 3:30 pm, we are hoping to get in by 9 am the next morning.

We are really bad at taking extra stops (when I'm pumping coffee and pop to stay awake, I find myself stopping every hour).

Are the first 120 miles bad before you get to 77?

Is this the best way to go?

Uncle Lupe

First never Fully trust map quest. That does seem to be the fastest route. You better stop before you get to the WV turnpike only a few stops for that entire section of highway.

I ran it through my gps software and it gave me 954 miles @ 16:33 hrs of straight road time not including stops for gas food and rest. That was going through Athens onto Middleport and to 77 via 33. Or 999 miles @ 16:34hrs if you go east on 70 and hit 77 in Cambridge and on from there. So pick you poison. I would rather drive farther on a 4 lane highway because of better access to stops if you need them. Using 2 lane secondary roads my be less miles but is is saving you time if you are stuck behind a semi trailer for 60 miles doing 55 @ best.

It all comes down to luck, if you are lucky to avoid and bad construction delay and bad traffic jams either way would be fine. I don't know what 33 is south of Athens I live 45 miles west in Jackson so I am never on that road.

Don't forget change for the tolls.

Upvote 0

SorcererGrandma

We drove from Port Orleans riverside to Cleveland, Oh in 16hrs and that is including being stopped by the police for a blown headlight in Akron and with a 4yr old in the car, and getting lost in North Carolina by accidently being in the wrong lane that happened to turn onto a different highway going west LOL.

So 15hr is very probable

Upvote 0

DisneyPrincess5

Woooow. Driving to WDW is simultaneously a great experience and the worst experience!! So much to see and fun places to stop, but SO frustrating because you just want to get there!

We've driven before from CT (and might I add, never will again) and it took 25 hours, not including the time spend staying overnight in South Carolina.

Considering the compared distances from CT to WDW and then OH to WDW, 15-16 hours sounds about right. But I'd plan for 20 just to be on the safe side. Good luck!

Upvote 0

dizneykev

We live in Cincinnati, well north of the city near Kings Island. We just hit 75 and go all the way down that way. It is about 13.5 hours for us doing that route. It takes me about 80 minutes to get to Columbus from my house. So, it seems to me that may be the fastest route. It takes us about 7 hours to get to Atlanta and then it is about 6.5 from there to the "World". I suppose you mileage may vary, but that is the way that works best for us. Have a great trip!

Dizneykev

Upvote 0

Uncle Lupe

We drove from Port Orleans riverside to Cleveland, Oh in 16hrs and that is including being stopped by the police for a blown headlight in Akron and with a 4yr old in the car, and getting lost in North Carolina by accidently being in the wrong lane that happened to turn onto a different highway going west LOL.
So 15hr is very probable

You must have been drivin' like you stole it!

Upvote 0

TheAmazingBobbo

I made the drive from Cleveland to Orlando and back on spring break last year. The way there wasn't bad since we stopped in NC and Daytona, but we drove the way back straight through and it was a pretty bad drive. I probably wouldn't have minded as much if I was behind the wheel, but like 4 hours in each of WV and SC are pretty boring.

I'd say you're looking at probably about 16-17 hours without delays. Now, all depends on how fast you're going (outside of Ohio we saw 1 SC cop and 3 or 4 GA cops and that was it) and how many stops you make.

I'm going again in August, but since its only me and a buddy and I'm not financing the whole trip, we're just flying this time.

Upvote 0

Susan Savia

We live in Northern VA and the drive from here to Disney is 15 hours. Now we have friends in Marion, Ohio (Just above Columbus) and from our home to theirs is 9 hours. So your looking at 24 hours.

Upvote 0
We live in Cincinnati, well north of the city near Kings Island. We just hit 75 and go all the way down that way. It is about 13.5 hours for us doing that route. It takes me about 80 minutes to get to Columbus from my house. So, it seems to me that may be the fastest route. It takes us about 7 hours to get to Atlanta and then it is about 6.5 from there to the "World". I suppose you mileage may vary, but that is the way that works best for us. Have a great trip!

Dizneykev

We also live about 15 minutes north of Kings Island and about an hour and a half from Columbus. We will usually leave here by 8 or 9pm and usually arrive at WDW around noon the next day. Stopping every couple hours during the night to switch drivers. We just shoot straight down 75 to Orlando. Very straight shot. Nothing like Atlanta at 3am. Very odd sensation!

Upvote 0

ritchie56

We live in Athens Oh. From Columbus to Athens is four lane with no issues (okay, a little bit of two lane around Nelsonville, but not bad). From Athens to Pomeroy is "super two lane"--it was built with few curves so that it is quick and a straight shot--nothing like 33 used to be in that section. And from there to the bridge at 77 is similar. It's not bad driving at all, though it is 55 MPH speed limits in that section. Get food or use the facilities in Athens though, there isn't much again till 77.

According to Google, to go through Cincinnati down I-75 adds 50 miles. I think coming Athens way will be faster.

Upvote 0

awilliams4

We live in Northern VA and the drive from here to Disney is 15 hours. Now we have friends in Marion, Ohio (Just above Columbus) and from our home to theirs is 9 hours. So your looking at 24 hours.

Wow 15 hours.

We live in Southwest (Salem, near Roanoke) and we just did the drive in 10 hours 15 minutes. Usually takes us about 11 hours but this last time we did it during daylight hours and we followed about 4-5 cars doing 90 MPH all the way up 95. Usually we drive at night so I don't get the opportunity to drive faster than 8 or so over the limit.

Upvote 0

mas

Driving South - use I-75

Hi, we live in Maineville, just north of Kings Island.

We drive to WDW about 3-4 times a year. we go straight down 75 to the Florida Turnpike. That's also the quickest way according to AAA and my Garmin navi.

Not much to see or do but it's fast.

Enjoy!:sohappy:

Upvote 0

Katherine

I grew up in Columbus and my mom hates flying so we drove every year to Florida (usually Disney for a few days then the beach). We would leave in the evening (6ish) and stop at a half way point around midnight and be out of the hotel by 8 and be to Disney around 2 or 3 usually.

Personally I prefer the route that takes you through WV, VA, NC,... etc because it feels like your moving more because you aren't in each state for a long time. If you go straight through KY, TN,... etc. GA feels really really looooonnnggg... as a kid I would always start to get antsy when we got to GA but then it would take forever.

I don't know exact hours though because we haven't made that trip in a very long time because my mom finally gave into flying.

Hope it's fun! Bring lots of games and when you get to the Orlando area we would always count the number of Disney versus Universal versus Ron Jon Billboards. It helped to build the anticipation.

Upvote 0

smk

Dizneykev
I agree with this route. We took it in October from Indy (I74 to I75) , thru Cincy and straight down 75 (speed limit 70 to 75 mph, that means you can go 75 to 80) , about 16 hours. We stopped overnight in Valdosta but that is becasue we had to cool our heels, we didn't have a room in Orlando and we would have been there at midnight had we kept going. We knew we would be too tired to look for a good hotel so we stopped. It was a very easy road to drive, plenty of places to stop and eat etc...Have a great trip!

Upvote 0

Uncle Lupe

I agree with this route. We took it in October from Indy (I74 to I75) , thru Cincy and straight down 75 (speed limit 70 to 75 mph, that means you can go 75 to 80) , about 16 hours. . It was a very easy road to drive, plenty of places to stop and eat etc...Have a great trip!

Yeah, 75 is an easy drive, you'll hit a major city about every 2 hrs. Plenty of stops if needed.

Upvote 0
Living by Toledo we usually Go down I75 to Florida (Speedway) turnpike. Last time we decided for a change of scenery to travel I77 and worked our way to I95. The last route was time wise quicker and we sat in traffic for over an hour at Lake Norman. Traveling I75 you have to make allowances for traveling through Cincy and Atlanta. We recommend driving straight thru rather than going on the bypass. Good luck

Upvote 0

geubux

Well, you've discussed the two major routes, 75 or 77. If you're in Cincinnati, obviously 75. I live in Columbus, and will never go through Atlanta anytime of the night or day if i can help it.

I also won't go 70 to 77. That's 4 hours from Columbus to Charleston, WV. I go down 23, take US 35 at Chillicothe to the river. Then, its 2 lanes for 35 miles, right on some litte wv route for 5 miles, and I'm at I 64. A few miles to Charleston, and I can make the first booth on the turnpike in 3 hours and about 15 minutes.

Total time from Columbus, North Suburb, to WDW, 16 hours and some change.

Upvote 0

Uncle Lupe

. I go down 23, take US 35 at Chillicothe to the river. Then, its 2 lanes for 35 miles, right on some litte wv route for 5 miles, and I'm at I 64. A few miles to Charleston, and I can make the first booth on the turnpike in 3 hours and about 15 minutes..

Hope you enjoyed your trip in "Godscountry" Jackson Co. that's my home. :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom