How long from Wilderness to MK?

Mike&AllisMom

I am trying to decide where to stay for our first trip. I really want GF or another resort on the monorail, but my kids want Wilderness Lodge. I am concerned that we will spend a lot of our time on the bus to the MK. Anyone know the average length of time? If it's not too bad I will let the kids have their choice :)

mousefan1972

There is a boat to MK from Wilderness Lodge. (There is a bus, too, but the boat is more scenic and relaxing)

When we stayed there in July, we never waited more than 5 minutes for a boat to arrive, and one of the captains said it was a 7-8 minute ride once the boat leaves the dock. So even if you waited 10 minutes for a boat, you're looking at a total of 17-18 minutes till you arrive at MK.

WL is great!! :) And signifcantly less money than GF.... go for it!

Upvote 0

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
The commute from Wilderness Lodge to MK isn't terrible at all. Perhaps suggest to the kids a stay at the Polynesian? It's on the monorail and offers a lot of great things for the kids.

Upvote 0

Mike&AllisMom

Original Poster
Thanks for the fast replies! I read somewhere that the wait and bus trip from the value resorts is like 45 minutes :eek: Poly is a great suggestion, I will take another look.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

As the others have said, it's a quick boat ride to the MK from the WL (which is a deluxe hotel, not a value). There is something special about coming around the bend and having the castle in your sights. *sigh* Many people complain about the bus transportation from the WL, but we have never had a problem any of the 10 times we have stayed there.
The Poly is a nice choice for kids too. The grounds are beautiful, my kids love the volcano pool, you can see & hear Wishes from the beach (as well as the electrical water pageant) and the monorail/TTC is right there.

Upvote 0

Ilovewishes

For me, the boat ride was all part of the attraction! I loved that I had an alternative to the standard catch a bus or monorail way of getting around! And it was such a beautiful ride over to MK, so relaxing and calming.

I'm in the process of trying to persuade DH that we should only ever stay at resorts that have transport by boat!! He's not buying it though...:cry:

Upvote 0

tusabrl

Since I will be at the Wilderness Lodge starting Sept 1st. What do you guys have about these transit times?

WL to Epcot
WL to AKingdom
WL to HWStudios

Upvote 0

Unplugged

Since I will be at the Wilderness Lodge starting Sept 1st. What do you guys have about these transit times?

I don't have the times written down, but as WL is my home resort, I'll throw in the following (don't forget the potential wait times):

WL to Epcot
- Bus direct from WL to EPCOT (15 min)
- Bus to Transportation Center (5 min), Monorail to EPCOT (10 min)
WL to AKingdom
- Bus direct from WL to DAK (20-25 min, 25-30 if it stops at Blizzard Beach)
WL to HWStudios
- Bus direct from WL to DHS (20 min)

Upvote 0

Unplugged

I am aware of this :) I guess I should have been more specific when I posted that. I was considering the value resorts until I read about the bus service.

Bus service can be frustrating depending on the size of the resort. I'll add the following consideration to your mix:

If you stay at Wilderness Lodge, Poly, or Grand Floridian, there comes a time typically in the evening (I have had mixed experiences with this), where a shared bus (yes for all 3 resorts) handles the Downtown route. I believe this is more typical during park closure hours as buses are limited. Not a big deal, but a 20-25 minute ride Downtown can become a 40-45 minute ride in a blink.

Please weigh out any times I've provided with the overall experience you'd like to have. Buses may slow down plans in some cases (often we find they help as I don't have to drive and load the car), but the environment of the resort can offset the relaxing factor. We stay at the "Lodge" because we find the environment, boat rides to MK, walking paths, etc. to be very relaxing. These are things unique to the Lodge, though the Poly and GF offer similiar (but different) experiences. Any resort around the Magic Kindom waterways offers a lot more unique experiences that are not park related. That's part of the expense of a deluxe resort (unfortunately).

By the way, based on your questions, I can tell you've already thought of most (if not all) of what I commented on. Lot's of newbies read our postings (that's how I got here) so I'm in the habit of adding comments to provide more background.

Good luck with your choice. No matter what you decide, I'm sure you'll have a magical time! :wave:

Upvote 0

durangojim

Having stayed at both multiple times, I would go for the WL. The boat ride is great, and actually much better than the monorail for returning to your resort in the evening (IMO). The GF is very nice and convenient, but your kids will definately like the WL better, the theming can't be beat and offers just as much if not more than the GF in terms of things to do around the resort. Unfortunately I believe the GF has lost quite a bit of it's sparkle and quality over the last 4 or 5 years (which is why we won't be staying there for a couple of years, hopefully they'll improve their quality by then especially since they'll have competition from the Four Seasons).

Upvote 0

Mike&AllisMom

Original Poster
You all have made the decision so much easier :) I think my kids will love the boat ride to MK, I know I will! This is one of the friendliest boards I have seen. I am on a Vegas board and it can get vicious if you don't like a certain hotel that others do!

Upvote 0

MaxsDad

The location and transportation to the MK from the WL is fantastic. It is both speedy and relaxing at the same time. It runs very, very regualrly. Meaning you don't have those gaps of 45 minutes waiting on boats.

I stayed there twice this summer. One morning I decided to try the buses to MK because the boats don't start running unitl 30 minutes prior to opening, the buses speed advantage, and I wanted to be there before rope drop. So i waited on the buses. For some reason, it was unusually slow getting there and it ended up taking much longer and I missed the opening ceremony. Take my advice, when in doubt, take the boat. I didn't take a bus again to MK after that though.

One thing though, on my arrival night, I wanted to get to MK in time for Spectro and a hot dog at Casey's. Spectro was at 10. Long story short, the boats can be held back while the Elec. Water Parade goes through the water bridge between the lagoon and bay lake at about 9:20 or so. You do get to see a beautiful display, but it also impedes your progress if you are cutting it close, so be aware.

Regarding the other parks, this has been my experience. Going to Epcot or DHS, the bus stops at FW Outpost before continuing to the parks. To me, it seems as if this takes forever. I would say that 20 minutes is a best case scenario. Regarding AK, I have been told that the bus first goes to a monorail resort (GF), before continuing to BB, then finally going to AK; therefore, I have never used the buses to go to AK. I drive.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom