How long do you think Carousel of Progress has left until its either updated or removed?

How long do you think Carousel of Progress has left until its either updated or removed?

• 1-2 Years

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • 3-5 Years

Votes: 18 20.9%
  • 6-10 Years

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • 10+ Years

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • Carousel will outlive us all

Votes: 53 61.6%

• Total voters

aladdin2007

Have things been running fairly well in the show or are things not working?,,,just wondering the current state, been awhile since I saw it.

DlpPhantom

I think it’s actually pretty safe from being removed all together just due to the insane amount of people it can theoretically gobble up. I have the number 4114 guest per hour written in my notes so no clue wether it’s accurate or not. If that’s anywhere near accurate it makes CoP the greatest hourly capacity in the park.

JIMINYCR

Nothing is safe and secure from the axe. Numbers may be up but thats not going to to save it if there is a better idea. Doesnt matter how beloved it is to guests or the If the space can be utilized for drawing guests in. Doesnt matter how beloved it is to guests or the connection it had to Walt. Dis, because of outlay of money will first do a refurb to keep it relevant and productive for the time being. But if it can be justified to scrap it all together, nothing can save it from the park wreckers.

imagineer97

In the Parks
No
I asked a similar question 1.5 years ago, and here were the results:
1706903132394.png

Original thread here if you want to see the discussion

UNCgolf

I'd actually like to see them return the final scene to its original incarnation and leave it as a time capsule/museum piece if they're going to make changes -- mainly because any updates to the final scene are going to feel wildly out of place (the current one already does to an extent) with the gigantic time skip and technological changes.

I'd also be happy with leaving it exactly as it is.

Last edited:

SteveAZee

Seems a little ironic that the Carousel of Progress, talking about how technology and innovation has improved over the years, is stuck, frozen in time.

I go on it each time I visit, though this last time (two month ago) both the scenes and the script are starting to fall out of step with modernity.

Only guessing, but I would think Walt would have liked the idea of updating it over time. I like the method of storytelling and the concept in general, so if I had a vote (I don't) I would keep the concept, retain various props and components, but redo each scene to cover 100 years of innovation... the last scene being the whole family gathered, staring at their phones. (OK, last part is a joke).

BalooChicago

I’d like to see the closing thester get a small scene that could be “current”. (Maybe just a modern animatronic John). Then make it “A Century of Progress” and cover 1900-2000 in 25 year jumps.

Animaniac93-98

It was first rumored to close back in 2001, and has kept on going ever since.

They could update it, keep it going as is indefinitely, replace it, or just close it and let it collect dust for years on end.

Nothing would surprise me with today's Disney.

Goofyernmost

Removed - A looooooong time
Updated - I could see them updating the final scene, but don't see the draw it would bring. The money would be better spent on almost anything else.
I don't see them doing either until all the people that are aware of the Walt/Worlds Fair connection are dead. Then they will decide it's time to replace it with a bigger stroller parking area.

TinkerBelle8878

Really all they would need to update it would be to change the VR goggles to one of those new Apple ones, have the sister in the corner texting on a phone, and have the mom on a tablet. The voice prompted oven and all still does ring as modern. Maybe spruce up the other scenes but an actual update using what is already there wouldn't be too hard.

I'm one of the fans of this attraction though and would hate to see it leave for another coaster. I don't like coasters. I don't ride coasters or flumes. If I did, I wouldn't be going to Disney. I'd head over to Uni. I used to love Epcot primarily because it was mostly omnimover or boat rides with the exception of Maelstrom. I love the song, I love the message. I would be pretty heartbroken if this went away. I know other people who say CoP is their favorite thing at DIsney, point blank. Maybe it doesn't have all the sparkle and hype of more Star Wars but it does have its fans.

HMF

I love the last scene precisely because it’s such a fun time capsule of what people in the recent past thought the future would be. If the scene is to be changed, I would have it themed to the ’90s and, keeping everything else the same, dedicate the entire attraction to the twentieth century.
I had the same thought re-theme the final scene to New Years Eve 1999. Maybe use portions of the score for Reflections of Earth. Have video from the Millennium Celebration on the TV. etc.

harryk

What with Iger staying - I'm sure he will find a way to close it. He seems to be good at that type of move other than coming up with additional experiences for we the guests.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I don't see them doing either until all the people that are aware of the Walt/Worlds Fair connection are dead. Then they will decide it's time to replace it with a bigger stroller parking area.

The last World Fair in the US was in 984 and a financial bloodbath. The organizers were stuck with over 100 million in debt when it closed.

Goofyernmost

The last World Fair in the US was in 984 and a financial bloodbath. The organizers were stuck with over 100 million in debt when it closed.
Not sure that has anything to do with the topic. Those that are fans of Disney know what the historic relevance of the NY Worlds Fair in 1964 had on the Disney theme parks specifically the Carousel of Progress.

Plus you left out a whole 1000 years since that date. Just kidding about that, but Worlds Fairs are no where near as popular as that once were and that is mostly because of the internet. Why go to a place like that when all you have to do is look things up on a computer which is also a big part of why Epcot had to change. That whole place was just one big real life Wikipedia.

In the sixties Fairs were huge. I lived close to Montreal when Expo 67 was there and went many times. In fact, I have a large overhead shot of the entire fair grounds on the wall of the room I'm sitting in right now. I also attended Expo 70 in Osaka, Japan and in both of those the interest and quality was top of the line. Times change, but we don't have to destroy all our history. We should follow the lead of Europe when it comes to preserving history. They have established themselves a world leader in capitalizing on things from the past. We just tear everything down and build something new.

Do you realize that anyone born in this century doesn't have a clue what it was like in the 20th century. How they/we lived. What we found important, how transportation changed, households, everything like that is covered in CoP and it is a sneaky way of showing history in an amusing format seen no place else. Left as it is, it has a double reason to exist. One historic to Disney Parks and the other is important in showing a little of what life was like for their parents, grandparents and great grandparents. It's hard to tell what has been accomplished if you have no idea where you've been.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Not sure that has anything to do with the topic. Those that are fans of Disney know what the historic relevance of the NY Worlds Fair in 1964 had on the Disney theme parks specifically the Carousel of Progress.

Relevancy and relatability. As you astutely pointed out there are lots of people who have never been to a world's fair so they lack any knowledge of the ride systems developed for 1964 and then relocated to Disneyland. It predates their existence.

donaldtoo

I asked a similar question 1.5 years ago, and here were the results:
View attachment 766531
Original thread here if you want to see the discussion

Yep, I’m post #5 in that thread, and I still feel the exact same way about it…my post from that thread below…!!! :happy: :)

I feel it should remain for a long time to come. Granted, Walt said that Disneyland would be always changing and evolving (and, I assume he would have said the same for WDW), but, I feel there are some Walt-involved classics that should remain as a tribute to the man (and mouse ;)) that started it all, and not relegated to a YouTube video only. And CoP is definitely one of them, along with PPF, IaSW, etc., IMO.
The only thing I wish they would do with CoP is change the final scene back to the original CoP final scene from the ‘64-‘65 Worlds Fair. It would just make so much more sense timeline-wise, and be a complete and total tribute to Walt’s original vision for that attraction.
And yes, I realize I’m a dying breed, but, hopefully, they’ll wait to do away with it after I’ve passed at around age 120-ish…!!!!! :D:hilarious:;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom