How long do you think Carousel of Progress has left until its either updated or removed?

How long do you think Carousel of Progress has left until its either updated or removed?

• 1-2 Years

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • 3-5 Years

Votes: 18 20.7%
  • 6-10 Years

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • 10+ Years

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • Carousel will outlive us all

Votes: 53 60.9%

• Total voters

EagleScout610

Leader of the Mondo Fan Club
Premium Member
Original Poster
With CBJ now changing, the "It's a Walt attraction so they'll never touch it" excuse kind of weakens. What do you think the future holds for COP?

WorldExplorer

I don't believe in speaking things into existence but let's not test it.

We should take the opposite approach. Let's start talking up something that won't be missed as a classic and maybe that'll redirect the destruction.

"Now Disney, you can destroy Splash Mountain and you can ruin the Country Bears, but please, PLEASE, don't mess with Tomorrowland Speedway! Anything but that!"

Andrew25

Removed - A looooooong time
Updated - I could see them updating the final scene, but don't see the draw it would bring. The money would be better spent on almost anything else.
I hate agreeing with you, but outside some fan service... the majority of park guests wouldn't care if CoP left.

I can't see how they justify a major renovation without having a sponsor attached to it. CoP takes a huge chunk of space that could easily house something far more popular.

castlecake2.0

I don’t have numbers but I’d guess COP does more guest counts than CBJ and ETR. I go on it fairly often and it seems to play to consistent crowds. If they can get stitch replaced, update COP and refresh some scenes in the people mover, they could market a Tomorrowland refresh

Cmdr_Crimson

Fella says guests went Apespit when the guests heard that we’ve gone into something now called " Seasonal Mode" did you ever hear that one?

Ah yes the early 00's on this forums and the fate of it and look where we are now. Unless they upgraded to modern AA's and a new audio track I'm sure it will be sticking around for sometime..

Also, if they decided to Remove the building......Yeeeeahh, That fun little People Mover we all know and love would have to be removed as well due to it being part of the structure that hugs the side if it...So, think about what you gain before you lose something else or will see more than guests going Apespit...

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

With CBJ now changing, the "It's a Walt attraction so they'll never touch it" excuse kind of weakens. What do you think the future holds for COP?
Let's be real, "It's a Walt attraction so they'll never touch it" was never a thing - the current Carousel of Progress is the 3rd different iteration of the show. When it first came to WDW in 1975 they replaced the freakin' theme song. Thankfully they had the sense to put it back in '94, but Disney has never treated it as sacred. At best they've offered it the quiet dignity of continuing to live, despite never giving it the basic respect and attention it deserves.

That said, if things keep on track it sounds possible a CoP redo might actually come before the end of the decade. Unsure if that's ultimately good news or bad.

Disstevefan1

It seems to me, since WDW doesn't want to spend money in the parks so it will be a long time before anything will change.

Of course it would be a COST SAVINGS and possible TAX WRITE OFF if Disney simply closed it and just say it will be closed for an indefinite period of time to be updated for modern sensitivities.

Closing an attraction also increases the need to purchase Genie+ and ILLs for whatever is still open.

Disney wins no matter what.

Last edited:

MaryJaneP

Simply add the word "Ancient" to the name. The "Ancient Carousel of Progress". Take a journey through what was thought the be the pinnacle of progress way back in the prior century. There, done. Minimal cost and no further updating, ever. As Maui says, "You're Welcome"

drizgirl

It seems to me, since WDW doesn't want to spend money in the parks so it will be a long time before anything will change.

Of course it would be a COST SAVINGS and possible TAX WRITE OFF if Disney simply closed it and just say it will be closed for an indefinite period of time to be updated for modern sensitivities.

Closing an attraction also increases the need to purchase Genie+ and ILLs for whatever is still open.

Disney wins no matter what.
Except I would have said the same about CBJ.

Disstevefan1

Except I would have said the same about CBJ.
I am super happy CBJ is getting an update instead of being closed or change to some silly IP.

I don't want COP closed or changed to an IP.

If I was in charge (which I am not) I would update all of the animatronics to modern tech, make it a blended family, tweak the script slightly and update the final scene to be a fully modern Holiday gathering.

KEEP "Its a great big beautiful tomorrow" song!

Last edited:

Alanzo

Leave the last scene the way it is forever!

We need the documentation of what people in the past thought the future of tech would be, not the profit-driven social media/AI/blockchain hellscape that we actually got. It really fits in the mold of what I think Tomorrowland was supposed to represent-- a "better tomorrow".

JohnD

We need the documentation of what people in the past thought the future of tech would be, not the profit-driven social media/AI/blockchain hellscape that we actually got. It really fits in the mold of what I think Tomorrowland was supposed to represent-- a "better tomorrow".
It's been updated already, though. It definitely doesn't look like a 1970s vision of the future because that would be so, well, 1970s.

LittleBuford

I love the last scene precisely because it’s such a fun time capsule of what people in the recent past thought the future would be. If the scene is to be changed, I would have it themed to the ’90s and, keeping everything else the same, dedicate the entire attraction to the twentieth century.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom