How likely is it to be able to get 7 month out window in December?

wishing_upon_a_dstar

Original Poster
Hi guys

Need some help.

Hubby and I are planning a December trip next year, we have 2 home resorts, Saratoga and the Villas at the Grand Floridian.

We have worked out that we can book the 24th Dec till 27/28 December at the Grand.

Has anyone been able to book the Board Walk Villas, Animal Kingdom Villas or Old Key West at 7 months out at this time of year?

Also has anyone stayed in the AKV value rooms? Would you recommend?

Thank you
Dana

Gomer

I can't comment on the 7 month window in general as I have not attempted it at such a busy time. But I can comment a bit on the value rooms.

Are you looking at a Studio or a 1BR? I've stayed at the 1BR value and will be again in a couple months. With 4 people in the room it works fine for us and is well worth the point savings you get in return. It can feel a little cramped if you are used to one of the bigger 1BR rooms, but you get used to it pretty quickly. I haven't seen the studios, but I'd imagine its the same. After you get used to the reduction in breathing room, the point savings will win you over.

On the unfortunate side, I'd think its going to be a tall order getting a value room at 7 months any time of year. AKL owners like myself tend to eat those things up right at the 11 month mark. You could get lucky with a cancellation, but I wouldn't count on it. I actually chose AKL over VWL when I bought in initially because I wanted priority on those cheap rooms for years when points were in short supply. I think many others do the same. You'll probably have much more luck with OKW.

wishing_upon_a_dstar

Original Poster
I can't comment on the 7 month window in general as I have not attempted it at such a busy time. But I can comment a bit on the value rooms.

Are you looking at a Studio or a 1BR? I've stayed at the 1BR value and will be again in a couple months. With 4 people in the room it works fine for us and is well worth the point savings you get in return. It can feel a little cramped if you are used to one of the bigger 1BR rooms, but you get used to it pretty quickly. I haven't seen the studios, but I'd imagine its the same. After you get used to the reduction in breathing room, the point savings will win you over.

On the unfortunate side, I'd think its going to be a tall order getting a value room at 7 months any time of year. AKL owners like myself tend to eat those things up right at the 11 month mark. You could get lucky with a cancellation, but I wouldn't count on it. I actually chose AKL over VWL when I bought in initially because I wanted priority on those cheap rooms for years when points were in short supply. I think many others do the same. You'll probably have much more luck with OKW.

Hello

Thank you, we are looking at 14th till 23rd December at one of the 7 month out so fingers crossed. We would just want a studio as we are not in the room much. My husband really wants to stay at the Board walk but I guess we will see what is available nearer the time.

DVCPluto

I can't speak to late Dec, but here's my experience with booking early Dec:

We were able to book 2 studios, AKV Savanna view, for this upcoming Dec 6-12. But, it was stressful. I watched the availability of BWV, BCV, and AKV for about a week before we booked. The trouble is, if your first day of your 7 mo window is booked, you can't book any of the other days.

Before my window opened, the first few days of the week I wanted were booked for BWV and BCV. So I knew those were out and focused on AKV. I could only see availability for one room, so I ended up booking a day early for the first room, and grabbed the second room on the day I actually wanted. I would have never gotten 2 rooms otherwise. AND I was online clicking the "book now" button from 7:59 am until it went through on both days.

I had to borrow more points than I wanted to, but was able to bank other points so it worked out. I think you have to REALLY want to go during this time of year and be motivated to get up early, click like a mad person, and be ok if you don't get what you want.

Good luck!!

wishing_upon_a_dstar

Original Poster
At the Boardwalk Villas (BWV), "Standard View" Studios are difficult to get at the 7-month window, especially during popular times of the year. For example, I recently booked some Standard View BWV rooms at the 11-month window for late September (during Food & Wine Festival) and, within a few days, these were no longer available. (One-bedrooms still are.)

BWV "Boardwalk View" Studios go quickly, but I have seen these available at the 7-month window.

Generally, you can get a BWV "Garden/Pool View" Studio right at 7 months, if you book it online at 8 AM. Since you want to go the week of 11-23 December, I suspect you'll have a decent chance of booking one of these.

At Animal Kingdom Villas (AKV), both "Value" and "Club Level" Studios are difficult to get even at the 11-month window. AKV's Club Level Studios are probably the hardest to get in all of WDW. You pretty much have to book these 8 AM, 11 months out.

AKV's "Standard View" and "Savannah View" Studios are much easier to get at 7 months. I suspect you'll have little difficulty getting one of these. :)

It's relatively easy to get Old Key West (OKW) Studios at 7 months.

Good luck. :)

Thank you for your help, it will be our second DVC trip so still new to all the polarities of each resort. :)

wishing_upon_a_dstar

Original Poster
I can't speak to late Dec, but here's my experience with booking early Dec:

We were able to book 2 studios, AKV Savanna view, for this upcoming Dec 6-12. But, it was stressful. I watched the availability of BWV, BCV, and AKV for about a week before we booked. The trouble is, if your first day of your 7 mo window is booked, you can't book any of the other days.

Before my window opened, the first few days of the week I wanted were booked for BWV and BCV. So I knew those were out and focused on AKV. I could only see availability for one room, so I ended up booking a day early for the first room, and grabbed the second room on the day I actually wanted. I would have never gotten 2 rooms otherwise. AND I was online clicking the "book now" button from 7:59 am until it went through on both days.

I had to borrow more points than I wanted to, but was able to bank other points so it worked out. I think you have to REALLY want to go during this time of year and be motivated to get up early, click like a mad person, and be ok if you don't get what you want.

Good luck!!

Thank you for your help, very much appreciated. :)

bubster

We stayed in a AKV value studio last year the 1st week of Dec. We are DVC owners but not at AKV and we happened to see that an owner had a confirmed reservation for rent. Figured it was the only chance we would ever have to stay in one so we grabbed it.

All value villas are at Jambo House and we found that we really liked it better than Kidani. Did not notice any real difference even though we know the value is smaller than the regular villas. It was perfect.

We loved it so much that we are actually considering a 100 point AKV contract.

You have a decent chance of getting a BWV right at 7 months but probably not for a standard or boardwalk view. There are a lot more pool/garden views. If you can't get it at 7 months you can always waitlist it.

wishing_upon_a_dstar

Original Poster
We stayed in a AKV value studio last year the 1st week of Dec. We are DVC owners but not at AKV and we happened to see that an owner had a confirmed reservation for rent. Figured it was the only chance we would ever have to stay in one so we grabbed it.

All value villas are at Jambo House and we found that we really liked it better than Kidani. Did not notice any real difference even though we know the value is smaller than the regular villas. It was perfect.

We loved it so much that we are actually considering a 100 point AKV contract.

You have a decent chance of getting a BWV right at 7 months but probably not for a standard or boardwalk view. There are a lot more pool/garden views. If you can't get it at 7 months you can always waitlist it.

Thank you, we may rent 2 nights of points at AKV club level, then book Saratoga and the grand and then see what's avaliable at 7 month window. :)

Ralphlaw

Personally, I've NEVER had a waitlist not be granted. It's always worked out for me, but perhaps I've just been lucky. Give it a try, and make sure you keep a backup. Good luck.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom