How likely are resorts to fill up before 5-7 months out

bjones82.5

Original Poster
Hi we’re finally at a point where buying dvc is right for us (no financing) so we’re looking at current offers and see riviera is $18 off a point right now when buying 400 so that’s a huge difference in price. We primarily want to stay at wilderness (even if we have to do split stays) but don’t normally schedule our vacations more than 5-7 months in advance. So basically in your experience how often do resorts fill up? We get it we might not always be able to get wilderness because of how far out we book but want to know we’ll likely be able to stay there some of the time.

Like I said I know this is an extremely broad question just looking for some of your real world experience booking dvc.

RememberWhen

I think it depends a bit on when you want to go and for how long. And also what size room you want. If you’re looking at Christmas week for 10 days, you’re likely out of luck. But a mid-week 2 night trip at other times and you might be ok.

For fun I looked at rooms at wilderness lodge in September, about 5 months away from now. There aren’t any rooms available for the whole week I looked (13th-20th) but there was a fair amount of availability for a few nights in that week. 7 months out had a similar problem.

If you’re not particular about staying at WL, you should be able to book somewhere at 5-7 months. OKW and SSR almost always have availability.

bjones82.5

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick replies, I should say we generally go 2 times a year 4-6 nights just pretty flexible on when we go and are open to split stays (we actually enjoy doing that on property)

RememberWhen

If you really can be flexible I think you’d be ok, but I would be aware of the pricing and see if buying Riviera is what you really want to do. Maybe you’d be just as happy with a contract at OKW?

correcaminos

It really depends on when and what doom type. We rarely do studios - almost never unless it is PVB or a solo trip for me - which are a till the hardest to book. What some think are busy times are not always for DVC. What some think would be slower times are often busiest for DVC.

Some resorts are harder than others. We jusf bought into CCV on resale since that and BRV are harder to get. I've been lucky off and on at 7 months but I would never count on them for under 7. If you cannot regularly book at 7 months then I suggest this isn't for you.

I also suggest not doing your whole chunk in one contract (I'd split it into 100 point contracts and after minimum buy in of 150 with an extra 50) and to really consider resale implications if you ever need to sell RR.

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member
I also suggest not doing your whole chunk in one contract (I'd split it into 100 point contracts) and to really consider resale implications if you ever need to sell RR.
Just in case anyone wasn’t aware, the rules have changed.

If buying direct as a new buyer you have to buy a minimum of 150 points in a single contract now.
If you wanted to split 200 points it would have to be 150 & 50.

correcaminos

Just in case anyone wasn’t aware, the rules have changed.

If buying direct as a new buyer you have to buy a minimum of 150 points in a single contract now.
If you wanted to split 200 points it would have to be 150 & 50.
Oop. I know this! I just cannot math or type that early in the morning. I started to say 150 but that didn't divide well since they want 400 points. My brain blahed out on me and I didn't fix my error as I was deleting and editing. But really do 100 for 2 (which is what I started say and blahed and meant to delete but didn't) and then a 150 and a 50. Will edit to reflect. I've been up since 4 and really needed to math and edit better before posting lol. Though truly I have dyslexia with numbers being worse so I didn't see what I did. Thanks for catching so I could edit!

Last edited:

DisDadWoz

I know everyone's experience is different, but ours has been very good with this. We joined at AKL in 2008 and as a point of reference only have stayed there once. We had been averaging about 2 trips a year up until COVID and have been able to get a great majority of our first choices at the 7 month mark. We started with studios then now we are almost either 1 or 2 bedroom villas when we stay. The only times we really didn't get our first pick was a few Christmas trips but we knew those would be tough going in. If you're flexible with room types and/or split stays you can do it.

bjones82.5

Original Poster
Do you LIKE Riviera? Don't buy Riviera if you don't like Riviera.
At this moment for 400 points it’s almost $15k cheaper to do riviera because of promotions and sense the only benefit for a home resort is the earlier booking window it’s def worth saving $15k.

To address other concerns we are alert planning on splitting the contracts for other reasons so that works out for resale too.

correcaminos

At this moment for 400 points it’s almost $15k cheaper to do riviera because of promotions and sense the only benefit for a home resort is the earlier booking window it’s def worth saving $15k.

To address other concerns we are alert planning on splitting the contracts for other reasons so that works out for resale too.
So my question is will you be happy staying at RR if that is your choice? Also are you good with SSR or even OKW? I did resale for CCV with a $6k savings. I want it to book at CCV though lol

I hear you on the savings especially if you plan to book outside the window. Smart on splitting too in whatever way that works best.

eliza61nyc

So we have never had any issues booking at the 7 month window BUT we rarely go at super busy or holiday weeks and we go for larger 2 bedrooms.

That being said, the only resort we really don't like is SSR so we're super flexible. My home resort is the BC, I'm another that advises folks to buy where they like

striker1064

The problem is the resale aspect with the restrictions. We don't know if Disney will ever lift these, but it seems unlikely. Resale for RR isn't bad right now, but there aren't that many contracts for sale. What happens in a few years when RR is sold out and there are lots of contracts on the market, especially if (for example) PVB2 is on sale and does not have restrictions?

I know you think you'll love Disney forever and you'll never sell - everyone thinks the same thing - but those restrictions are a tough pill, especially because you are already thinking about resale.

correcaminos

The glut of points is what is driving people to rent. Many simply cannot use. I just added on and I'll have 261 points to use for my 2022 use year - which I've already used a lot of my points for. Many are in that situation.

DVC prices will never go down. They will offer incentives and that's about it.

Housekeeping is resuming right now so that aspect is grossly over played at this point. In fact my last 2 trips in the past 6 months have been same with normal housekeeping. DVC perks are pretty good right now too, but one should *never* buy for perks. Long term owners know they come and go and some of us had little to no perks when we joined.

My point? If someone wants to buy in, and can afford it, why tell them to wait outside of maybe a personal dislike of something......

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I'm going to be the fly in the ointment.... DO NOT BUY DVC, right now... RENT DVC. WAIT until WDW corrects the current Political, Maintenance, and Access issues. These are driving a LOT of owners to "Rent Out" points, creating a fairly robust RENTAL Market.
Don't be on the "I need to rent OUT DVC" end.

A little background? We are DIRECT DVC owners, 2012, 300 points. Two trips per year since 2012... We never Rent OUT - so no dog in this fight. We will be gifting our DVC points, to our children - as we have totally hit "break even".

"Break even" is when, over several years, you are AHEAD of the $35K or so initial payment, any financing interest, with actual trips vs. DISCOUNTED rooms. Usually about 5-7 years, with two trips per year, a good 10 years with ONE trip per year. Finance? Please, don't do this... have a good $40K in cash, up front.

DVC is going through issues, imposed by other "departments". Low Hotel staff, few perks. If all you want is a ROOM? Go for it. But do not expect GOLD - far more gilted LEAD. A purchase right now is fairly risky :(. Please WAIT, until DVC, and WDW, become stable.

You can get a HEAVILY discounted room by renting. Our nightly REAL cost at BRV is still close to $250/Night. RACK, in AUGUST, is about $672/Night, for a 1 bed.

Compare with discounted RACK at WL proper. Rental's? If you went 2X, you would still beat RACK price. Please? Start by RENTING DVC, at the Home Resort you were considering BUYING?
Wow! Jaded much? We’ve been owners a lot longer than you, and completely disagree with everything you said. We have made 4 trips during COVID, and have no issues with maintenance or access issues, the last visit just 2 weeks ago.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
The glut of points is what is driving people to rent. Many simply cannot use. I just added on and I'll have 261 points to use for my 2022 use year - which I've already used a lot of my points for. Many are in that situation.

DVC prices will never go down. They will offer incentives and that's about it.

Housekeeping is resuming right now so that aspect is grossly over played at this point. In fact my last 2 trips in the past 6 months have been same with normal housekeeping. DVC perks are pretty good right now too, but one should *never* buy for perks. Long term owners know they come and go and some of us had little to no perks when we joined.

My point? If someone wants to buy in, and can afford it, why tell them to wait outside of maybe a personal dislike of something......
^^^This!

correcaminos

Wow! Jaded much? We’ve been owners a lot longer than you, and completely disagree with everything you said. We have made 4 trips during COVID, and have no issues with maintenance or access issues, the last visit just 2 weeks ago.
I recently came back from a wonderful trip myself a few weeks ago. Only 3 trips in since covid due to school schedules and such and one being a pretty darn long trip for us (4th trip is coming up in under 60 days). Anyway, our last one was pretty amazing. I had a tiny issue with the conditioner being empty and they filled that asap and brought more blankets for cold blooded me, super fast. My kid and I really enjoyed our trip, I'll say that. We're looking forward to our next in June... then whenever they announce Tron hopefully.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I recently came back from a wonderful trip myself a few weeks ago. Only 3 trips in since covid due to school schedules and such and one being a pretty darn long trip for us (4th trip is coming up in under 60 days). Anyway, our last one was pretty amazing. I had a tiny issue with the conditioner being empty and they filled that asap and brought more blankets for cold blooded me, super fast. My kid and I really enjoyed our trip, I'll say that. We're looking forward to our next in June... then whenever they announce Tron hopefully.
We were there at the same time and had a great vacation. No issues with the room or housekeeping. Had the normal 4th day complete clean and 8th day service. Parks were crowded but we did what we wanted to do. If anyone wants to buy in now, then I say go for it. It’s all up to individual people how they vacation and visit Disney.

correcaminos

We were there at the same time and had a great vacation. No issues with the room or housekeeping. Had the normal 4th day complete clean and 8th day service. Parks were crowded but we did what we wanted to do. If anyone wants to buy in now, then I say go for it. It’s all up to individual people how they vacation and visit Disney.
That's right! I forgot we were there during the same insane spring break week. We were not there long enough (long story short, our 2nd half was supposed to be with family in Tampa and when that was canceled no rooms were available so I just swapped our flights) Parks were crowded but felt like spring break 2019 for me so expected. My Nov trip was a bit more crowded than expected but only one day.

I do think if people want to buy and they've done research they should. I am only holding off fot next add on with Polynesian. I am hopping I just add on and not sell/buy

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom