How is the T-Rex restaurant?

kmanship

Original Poster
Will my 3 year old girl be scared? I assume it is like Rainforset Cafe inside. Do the Dinosaurs roar? What do you think? How is the food? Thanks!

Thessair

Will my 3 year old girl be scared? I assume it is like Rainforset Cafe inside. Do the Dinosaurs roar? What do you think? How is the food? Thanks!

It is like Rainforest, which is to be expected. As for your daughter being scared, that's not an easy one to pin down. I saw kids around ten crying when the asteroids started and children around three and four clapping with delight. I think it depends on the child, really. Though not sitting in the Ice Cavern should minimize some of the effects. As for the food, we really enjoyed it. I had the hamburger and my mother had one of the salads (Omnivore something-or-other) and it was quite good. The portions were large, which didn't make my waistline very happy. We split the Meteor Bites for dessert (chocolate and vanilla donut holes sprinkled in powdered sugar with caramel and chocolate dipping sauces) and even then it was still too much for the both of us.

I ended up taking quite a bit out of the restaurant to finish up later. For the both of us, including two entrees, drinks, dessert, and tip, it came to $60. But I think the meal was around $45, I massively tipped because the server, whose name I cannot remember to save my life, was nothing short of amazing. I'll have to dig up the receipt to be sure what it was. I know some people aren't that impressed with it, but we absolutely loved it. The crowds at lunch were almost non-existent, though the Build-A-Dino Workshop was packed. We saw tons of kids with those, so they must be making a mint over there.

Hope some of this info helps. :wave:

gatordoc

The food is pretty much the same as Rainforest. In fact, I think some of the menu items are identical, but with different names. Plan to get there early if you don't want to wait a long time, at least for the time being. Perhaps the novelty will wear off over time, but probably not, because kids do love dinosaurs.

rwdavis2

I listened to a review at another board that does podcasts. It's much like Rainforest in that there's a store and robot animals. They said is was VERY loud and is the reason they won't go back. Food and service fine but they expect that to lower a bit as the place had managers "every 3 feet" on opening. Also, somewhat expensive, in their opinion.
Bob

Thessair

I didn't really have a problem with the prices, since the quality is high and the portions are fitting. Personally, I wouldn't mind a bit less food on the plate, but I suppose I just hate the potential waste.

As for the noise, I think it really depends on where you sit. It really wasn't that noisy to me, and we loitered long enough enjoying ourselves that we saw the show three times. It really all comes down to opinions in the end. Some of us will like it, others won't.

I hope, if you go, you have a good time and enjoy your meal. :D

Iknewagirlnamed

To the OP: What made the server amazing in your opinion? A $15.00 tip on a $45.00 check is very generous, considering 20% is only $9.00. I'd like to know because I'm a server and always would like to increase my tips. thanks!

kmanship

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments. We are definitely going to go but I just wanted to know what to expect. We have a Rainforest Cafe here in Nashville so I think we will be fine.

Thanks again!

Oh... to the server... Just be nice, and if the family you are waiting on has kids, talk to them. If you are good to the kids then you should get a good tip... at least from me and my family. Good luck!

MyLittleAngels

My girls loved it, and they are 8, 6, and 4. Our waitress was telling me that her DD (2) hated it, even though she loves dinosaurs emphatically. I thought the food was average. Not great, not bad, just typical Landry's type food. The prices were on par with Rainforest, but the atmosphere was incredible! The periodic meteor showers are interesting to watch, albiet very noisy, and the dinos are so neat. Even the little mastadons moved around, which delighted my daughters to no end.

I think it can be overwhelming for some kids, so as a test, maybe you should make a quick walk through the restaurant, so your child can see and hear what's going on. They have a coral reef room, which I found was very bland, and while we could sort of see the dinosaurs, I don't think they would upset sensitive kids nearly as much from that room.

kasey1988

id say it all depends on the child. Defintally take them for a walk threw the gift shop. That might not always work though, we had my 5 yo cousin with us and we went in the Rainforest Cafe, she loved the gift shop...we were waiting to be seated, a long wait..and we were about two people away, then the thunderstorm started...that was it for her, they ended up eating at Wolf Gang, and we stayed there...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom