How Important Are The Resorts To You?

Iris

Original Poster
How much of your Disney World enjoyment comes from the resort hotels? Is staying at a WDW resort (and visiting other WDW resorts) an important part of your experience, or do you view your lodging as just a place to sleep and shower between park hopping?

MPitzen

For me this really depends on the length of the trip and the time of year. If I'm going for a short trip in Nov. or Jan. then I'll stay at a value because I'm in the parks except for sleeping/showering... But, if I'm going for a long trip or in the summer than I prefer deluxe's. This is because I have the time to see things outside of the parks (long trip), or because it's so hot that I want to take daily breaks and come back and relax at the resort or go to the pool (summer).

In general though, I just can't stay off of Disney property. I've done it a few times... but its not the same. It's just not as magical, I love not having to worry about anything because they have it all under control. It's so drastically different from my everyday (control-freak) life.

Ssssshhhhh .... I have stayed at a Disneyworld resort and not gone to any of the Parks during my visit. It was a relaxing visit that was soooo nice.

Dj Corona

They sure beat staying at a Motel 6!!:D But seriously, the resorts are the starting point for where the magic happens. Whatever one you choose to stay at (personally, we prefer Port Orleans Riverside) you can't go wrong, no matter how much time you spend hanging out there or at the parks.

Kerby626

You get alot out of staying at the resorts, in my opinion. Your there for the extra magic hour, you dont have to worry about feeling like something may happen to your vehicle. And finally. You get the cool Disney TV channels. I'm sure some people just use their room as a go between for the parks. I think it's just as important as the parks. Plus, I do resort hop. You never know what you'll find.

Tigerdaly

I think the resorts are only important for those of you who visit on a short stay basis of anything up to 10 days.
I come over from the UK and neer travel for between 14 and 21 nights in the resort area.
Because of the extreme cost compared with quality of the resorts we always without failing stay in an off site private villa.
The villa's we use are as close as many of the on site resort complexes yet they provide all the comforts and luxuries of being at home. This doesnt include the beauty of having 3500 sq ft of room compared with 150 sq ft in a normal resort room.
Also as we are normally travelling around, up and down to the coast and doing plenty of shopping we always have a hire car available, this means parking on your own drive and garage, and swimming in your own pool makes for a very relaxing trip.
Last year we travelled over for 3 weeks and had 14 nights in a nice villa sharing with some friends at a cost of $650 per week total cost for 2 families.:ROFLOL:
We then moved over to Siesta key for a few days and then back to the AKL.
We had a normal deluxe room for 5 nights at cost of $980 for 3 of us and that was cuz it was low season. :(
I personally would like to put my money into the parks and local area economy rather than putting it into over priced bed for the night (Driven only by location).
We found that doing the parks all day and then crashing back in the room was so clostrophobic and cramped that it didn't add anything to our stay, quite the opposite in fact.

CAPTAIN HOOK

We've stayed onsite and we've stayed in villas. To be honest the onsite hotel is nothing more than a place to sleep. OK so you're nearer the parks and its all themed and it does retain the Magic. But the convenience of your own house and pool (not to mention the savings) far out does the convenience of a bus ride.
Also - we never resort hop, there is no need IMO

cooleo

I think that the resorts are a very important part of the experience. The way that the resorts are themed make them a continuation of the THEME parks. Wouldn't feel the same going to a Holiday Inn after a day at the parks.

MeTa

Other than the fact that we are disney timeshare owners. I wouldn't have it any other way, you still get the feel of being at "Disney". If I stayed at a regular resort it just wouldnt do it for me.

Nemo14

I think the resorts are only important for those of you who visit on a short stay basis of anything up to 10 days.
I come over from the UK and neer travel for between 14 and 21 nights in the resort area.
Because of the extreme cost compared with quality of the resorts we always without failing stay in an off site private villa.
The villa's we use are as close as many of the on site resort complexes yet they provide all the comforts and luxuries of being at home. This doesnt include the beauty of having 3500 sq ft of room compared with 150 sq ft in a normal resort room.
Also as we are normally travelling around, up and down to the coast and doing plenty of shopping we always have a hire car available, this means parking on your own drive and garage, and swimming in your own pool makes for a very relaxing trip.
Last year we travelled over for 3 weeks and had 14 nights in a nice villa sharing with some friends at a cost of $650 per week total cost for 2 families.:ROFLOL:
We then moved over to Siesta key for a few days and then back to the AKL.
We had a normal deluxe room for 5 nights at cost of $980 for 3 of us and that was cuz it was low season. :(
I personally would like to put my money into the parks and local area economy rather than putting it into over priced bed for the night (Driven only by location).
We found that doing the parks all day and then crashing back in the room was so clostrophobic and cramped that it didn't add anything to our stay, quite the opposite in fact.

We've stayed onsite and we've stayed in villas. To be honest the onsite hotel is nothing more than a place to sleep. OK so you're nearer the parks and its all themed and it does retain the Magic. But the convenience of your own house and pool (not to mention the savings) far out does the convenience of a bus ride.
Also - we never resort hop, there is no need IMO

I have to agree with you - having your own home to come back to after a day at the parks is pretty nice. I like staying on site when we're just there for a few days, but for a week or longer, I'd definitely go off-site. :)

SarahBella82

My sister lives north of Orlando (and has for 3.5 years), so we now stay with her when we go down. But in October (we visited for her wedding), we stayed two nights at AS Movies, just to get the full experience. To me, there's nothing like the isolation of being on-site. I feel more relaxed, more energized, more fulfilled. Call me corny (I am...), but I enjoy getting the full experience.

But nothing beats the savings of staying off-site (especially for free), if you look at it soully from a financial standpoint.

Tigerdaly

I think that the resorts are a very important part of the experience. The way that the resorts are themed make them a continuation of the THEME parks. Wouldn't feel the same going to a Holiday Inn after a day at the parks.
You are right in the fact going off site to the local Holiday Inn ruins the stay a little. One small room compared to another small room is just as bad if you dont have the theming and convienience of location.
But to park the car and punge into your own pool and spar with the game on in the lounge and beer cooling in the fridge........barbeque lit and warming.....kids playing on the playstation in games room...........shooting pool with you buddy whilst the evening sun sets over your patio.
It ain't all about themeing and magic...............it's about relaxing.

Oh and I forgot...................to save some big bucks.
Saving means we get to come back more often..........................

BIG HAPPY HOLIDAYS

ImaYoyo

Despite living under 2 miles from Pop Century, I stay at the resorts all of the time, without visiting a single park. So, my answer would be very important.

New2WDW

I agree with many others on the importance of the Disney Resorts and how it submerges you into the whole Disney Experience! I liken it to my family vacations when I was little: We stayed a couple of miles from the beach instead of on the beach and it was always a hassle packing and driving over. It would of been nice to step out of your room onto the beach!

RiversideBunny

Staying in a Disney resort it an integral part of a trip to WDW. It keeps you in the Magic.
Even at night, when you go back to your room, you are still inside the world of Disney.

Same is true, to some degree, in using Disney transportation instead of driving your own car. You stay inside the Magic.

Disney resorts as part of a WDW trip- Yes !!

:cool: :king: :)

k.hunter30

I definitely enjoy staying at the deluxe resorts much more than places like POP, however do I enjoy it hundreds of dollars more a night...?:shrug: Usually not.

There is no doubt that the benefits of, say, the Poly (my favorite resort) out-number those of the value resorts - proximity to parks, less stressful free transportation, beautiful grounds, etc. However, when it comes down to it, we usually don't spend too much time in the resort area anyways. So when we choose to stay at the less expensive resorts, we miss the luxuries a little - but really don't have time to miss them too much. Of course, if we are staying for longer than a week and had more time to lounge around, we'd probably miss the impressive resorts.

I've never stayed off property - and don't think I'd like to. I love being in the middle of the magic, and if that means saving an extra month to do that - so be it. It's worth it to me.

erasure fan1

I think when you go to Disney you have to stay on property. As far as the resort you stay at, that doesnt matter to me all that much. We are out to the parks early, we come back late, so the amount of time in the room isnt very much. Now my wife is picky about the places she will stay and loves old key west. So you can see where we stay for the most part.

petersenjp

Resorts

Personally, I have memories linked to the resorts. From family vacations to our honeymoon. The little things that happen at the resort always seem to stick out in my mind longer then my 3rd ride of the day on Soarin.

harryk

Not stay at the Resorts!!

:brick: I can't imagine not staying at a WDW resort!! I have been going many years now and can recall staying 'off property' and then driving to the World! Never again after my third visit to WDW. It was after that when I stayed at the Grand Floridian (on the Grand Plan) and would never consider staying 'off property' again.

All the features of the parks were available for a longer period of time. No rushing to get to the park, leasurly departing the parks when they closed, restaurants available at almost any time, pools if I wanted them, bars if I wanted them and a bed for a quick nap.

Have since bought into the Vacation Club and now even have the ability to prepare and cook my own meals if I so desire.

Just can't beat it!!!!!!!!!!

252 Days to the Villas at the Wilderness Lodge!!!!:xmas: :xmas: :xmas:

PrincessK

It depends on the resort, I think.

My mother and I were talking about it the other day. The last time we went together, just the two of us, we were at the Swan. It was ok. It was nice, but it was nothing special.

For the wedding, my husband and I were at the Polynesian. It was perfect. She was at the GF and hated it. She felt it too stuffy, almost rude at times, and not up to snuff. When she walked over to us, she mentioned that the second she crossed the line that divided the two resorts, it was like a whole different world. People were friendlier, etc.

We already decided that when we head down in 2008 for Halloween, we're staying at the Polynesian. It's like home for us.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom