How I do it.

graphite1326

Original Poster
How I go to WDW in my late 60's and: Get up early to get the early entry advantage, walk an average of 10 miles, go on every ride I can, don't take a mid-day break at the hotel (that's for wimps), and leave late? Here is my pre-Disney prep. For two months prior, I walk at least 4 days a week at a very good pace for 2.5 miles. Our area has rolling hills so it is up and down hills at this pace. It takes me about 45 to 50 minutes to do this. So when we get to WDW it's a breaze with no blisters, sore muscles and no being over tired. That's us and we have a great time.

NOTE: I hate it when people ask to go with us because they can't keep up and we have to slow down to accommodate them and make us miserable. From now on if someone wants to go with us they ill have to do the prep with us or I will just leave them at the park.

JIMINYCR

It always pays to prepare. How many posts have there been where newbies are advised to walk before a Dis trip to get themselves ready for the miles they will face? The #1 tip in most Dis prep sites is walk, walk, walk.
I’m fortunate that my work involves lots of walking and I’m up every day early so when my Dis trip is nearing I’m already used to the hours and in shape.

eliza61nyc

LOL, I got new plastic/titanium knees but I don't recommend that for everyone. ;)

One thing I've always recommended for newbies is not to go "commando". first imo you miss so many of the nuances that make the parks so great, next you simply tire yourself out and leaves everyone cranky and frustrated. lol @graphite1326 I confess to being one of the wimpsters and take a midday break. not necessarily because I'm tired but usually because we go when it's Africa hot in Florida so by 1 pm I'm a sweaty cranky mess. need a/c and a pool quickly.

I've got a select group of family members and friends I take to wdw. everyone has to be very independent and not get offended if they get kicked to the curb.
I live in a major city so I walk just about every where

esskay

The 'wimps' comment is a bit weird and I'll bite....

People dont get out because they are 'wimps' they get out because they know how to do Disney without ending up coming home from their vacation feeling knackered. There's no joy in standing in the mid day heat fighting crowds, nor is there a need to if you know how to do the parks correctly ;)

Sans Souci

I'm a proud wimp! 🏆

I take a pool break mid-day. I sit at the pool, read a book, order a couple of drinks. Then I shower, change everything and head back out. When it's 90+ outside, it's disgusting to stew in the same sweaty clothing (and underwear) from open to close. 😷😷😷😷 🤮

I'm rather be a wimp than a ponging park-goer.

JIMINYCR

How I prep....I empty my wallet. I find the lighter load helps quicken my pace. 😉
O.K. After all these years now I get it. Disney's looking out for me. They want me to spend for my well being so I'll be able to do more in the parks. Ive never had a problem lightening up my wallet on my trips... its filling it up again when I get home that takes so much effort.

graphite1326

Original Poster
The 'wimps' comment is a bit weird and I'll bite....

People dont get out because they are 'wimps' they get out because they know how to do Disney without ending up coming home from their vacation feeling knackered. There's no joy in standing in the mid day heat fighting crowds, nor is there a need to if you know how to do the parks correctly ;)
Nope wimps is correct

graphite1326

Original Poster
LOL, I got new plastic/titanium knees but I don't recommend that for everyone. ;)

One thing I've always recommended for newbies is not to go "commando". first imo you miss so many of the nuances that make the parks so great, next you simply tire yourself out and leaves everyone cranky and frustrated. lol @graphite1326 I confess to being one of the wimpsters and take a midday break. not necessarily because I'm tired but usually because we go when it's Africa hot in Florida so by 1 pm I'm a sweaty cranky mess. need a/c and a pool quickly.

I've got a select group of family members and friends I take to wdw. everyone has to be very independent and not get offended if they get kicked to the curb.
I live in a major city so I walk just about every where
I do commando and I don't tire myself out.

Br0ckford

How I go to WDW in my late 60's and: Get up early to get the early entry advantage, walk an average of 10 miles, go on every ride I can, don't take a mid-day break at the hotel (that's for wimps), and leave late? Here is my pre-Disney prep. For two months prior, I walk at least 4 days a week at a very good pace for 2.5 miles. Our area has rolling hills so it is up and down hills at this pace. It takes me about 45 to 50 minutes to do this. So when we get to WDW it's a breaze with no blisters, sore muscles and no being over tired. That's us and we have a great time.

NOTE: I hate it when people ask to go with us because they can't keep up and we have to slow down to accommodate them and make us miserable. From now on if someone wants to go with us they ill have to do the prep with us or I will just leave them at the park.
Dr Evil Whatever GIF

eliza61nyc

I do commando and I don't tire myself out.
And that's cool buy I've seen so many of the results. Now let me add that we generally go the end of August or early September and it's still nuclear hot and florida heat will definitely add to zapping ones strength. We see the guest, dead tired 😫 cranky, kids crying each and every trip. Unfortunately because of the cost, I think people feel they have to "get" their monies worth.

drizgirl

You should start a vlog or something. I'm sure everyone will flock to your site for this amazing secret to doing the parks.

As an aside, why are you limiting your walks to the lead up to your vacation?

graphite1326

Original Poster
Comfortable sneakers is a must!! We brought our granddaughters and they were tired out before I was..lol! I did start walking a lot before we went. But when you get tired sit and people watch.. that’s always a great time!
I will say we do take a break usually at places like Hall of the Presidents, Carousel of Progess, and at The American Adventure. These places have a great place to sit, get some AC and relax for a few minutes.

graphite1326

Original Poster
You should start a vlog or something. I'm sure everyone will flock to your site for this amazing secret to doing the parks.

As an aside, why are you limiting your walks to the lead up to your vacation?
I don't limit the walks. I am also getting ready for turkey and deer seasons (also done from dawn to dusk). I also to hike into the forest and fish the moutain streams in my area. Not bad for someone leaning toward 70.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom