How far will Disney price gouging go?

JIMINYCR

You may get angry because the cost of your vacation has increased since the last time you went and it causes you to work more, save more, and wait longer in between to get there. You may not be able to do all the things you were expecting to do or purchase as many souvenirs the kids are crying for. But the reality is that Disneys cost of operating and maintaining the property and keeping employees has increased as well. Just like there isnt any part of my business that hasnt gotten more expensive to run, or the cost of living in my home and maintaining my vehicles. We expect the parks to open every day, have cm's operating everything, shows running on time, efficient transportation and more for our buck. Well it all comes at a cost, the cost of operating continues to increase. So I'd say even though my tickets and resort stay has increased since last year....I feel like for all I'm getting while on property, I'm still getting a bargain. I'll pay out again this year to enjoy my 2 weeks and not grumble at all.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
Even if people start to not buy tickets, if the decline in volume is still smaller than the increase in price, Disney still wins.

(I get the feeling you know this, but for those that don't.)
I'm just glad I finally got to apply something I learned this year in AP Economics to a real life situation.

Mouse_Trap

My only problem with the "record attendance" theory is how much of that is domestic? And how much of that is foreign traffic that enjoys a multitude of discounts and group rates? We haven't found the prices to be off putting enough to keep us away, but that might change if they switch to that tiered pricing based on season.

I doubt they really care where the guests are coming from; as long as they come. A dollar is a dollar no matter who gives it to you.

I'm not convinced about this concept of discounts for non-domestic markets. At least not in the UK.

Right now we are only offered 2, 7, 14 and 21 day tickets.
Interestingly, they have only recently started offering 2 day tickets here. I presume this is to claw some cash from those making Universal centred vacations and who would not have otherwise paid for a 7 day Disney ticket (or 14, the prices were next to identical).

An adult 7 day ticket is currently £289, but does include hopping and water parks etc. A 14 day ticket is the same price.
£289 currently equates to $433

The closest equivalent US ticket is the 10 day ticket with water park and hopping added. That I believe is $440.

So we are not really getting a better price, just a slightly different deal because people typically come for 7 or 14 days. The incremental price on a US ticket is only a few $ a day.
So giving the few extra days is just offered to keep the guests on-site longer and try to prevent them going to Universal for a few days.

Dwarful

For us, we decided to skip FLA this summer. We were at WDW in Feb. / March and that was enough of a fix for us, we were disappointed in a few things and decided to save the funds for other trips. We have already decided next year to do the first part of the trip at Universal on their property...something we have never done (stayed on their sight...we have been to Uni) and do fewer days at WDW.

raven

They aren't just raising ticket prices but also prices for merchandise, food, tours and other things. For those of us who've been many times over the years it is the hardest to take, but for people who've never been before they think it's normal.

They seem to be sneaky about other items as well thinking guests won't notice. For example: the price of Fish & Chips in UK went up slightly yet the serving size got smaller. I like to call that the "Nabisco effect" because the normal size packages of Nabisco cookies and crackers 10 years ago are now being labeled as "family size" and the new normal size is much smaller. Same goes for certain brands of cereal.

The problem returning guests are seeing is not only the price has been increased but the park offerings are dwindling and sense of the whole "Disney feeling" has completely changed over the past 15 years or so as well.

Goofyernmost

People can only be gouged if they allow themselves to be gouged. Or if they don't feel it is gouging. It has a ceiling, but, at least to now, it hasn't been reached yet. It will eventually, but, for now more people then ever are seeing the value and spending the money. It's a hard concept to accept, but, it is supply and demand, pure and simple. In as much as Disney is not a life support item, a person can live a happy, productive life without ever setting foot in a Disney park. The only thing between us and not being "gouged" is our willingness to pay what is asked (and then complain about it).

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
You may get angry because the cost of your vacation has increased since the last time you went and it causes you to work more, save more, and wait longer in between to get there. You may not be able to do all the things you were expecting to do or purchase as many souvenirs the kids are crying for. But the reality is that Disneys cost of operating and maintaining the property and keeping employees has increased as well. Just like there isnt any part of my business that hasnt gotten more expensive to run, or the cost of living in my home and maintaining my vehicles. We expect the parks to open every day, have cm's operating everything, shows running on time, efficient transportation and more for our buck. Well it all comes at a cost, the cost of operating continues to increase. So I'd say even though my tickets and resort stay has increased since last year....I feel like for all I'm getting while on property, I'm still getting a bargain. I'll pay out again this year to enjoy my 2 weeks and not grumble at all.
No way, they cut back to cut down on costs and mantenence

Prog

As Master Yoda stated Disney is a luxury item. They can and will charge as much as they are able. What percentage of ardent fans like us would be willing to pay 100% more for rooms and park tickets if it cleared out half the crowds in the parks moving forward? What percentage of us would pay an extra $100/day to skip lines entirely at all the rides? I'm sure the number is a non-zero. This is Disney's golden age of demand for their parks. Are their rides and ride technology representative of the future in theme parks? Probably not. Are the movies the rides are celebrating (Cinderella, Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, etc) inspiring the young generation of up and coming earners to dig deep to pay for a WDW vacation? Some of them certainly but not the majority. WDW is worth more because of the ambiance and nostalgia for the disposable income generation not because of the under age 30 crowd. WDW is a park celebrating the childhoods of grandparents and parents who didn't have cable television, the Internet, or mobile devices. A simpler time some of them (us) want to visit occasionally and share with our kids and grandkids. How much longer will this continue? Record crowds last year are pretty telling. If you think Disney has any incentive to curb the crowds just think about what happens when crowds are bigger and lines are longer in the Magic Kingdom for example. You ride less rides per day. You have to come back (more days or another trip) to ride all the rides or ride them multiple times. More days means you are presented with more spending opportunities on food, merchandise, pins, etc.
As a hyper-nostalgic 17-year-old, this sounds like a formula for a potential demise in my adulthood, which scares me.

jakeman

As a hyper-nostalgic 17-year-old, this sounds like a formula for a potential demise in my adulthood, which scares me.
Adulthood is full of demises. A theme park is probably going to be pretty far down on your list of things to worry about when you reach that point.

Club Cooloholic

Disney will continue to raise their prices until they reach a point where the market can no longer bear it. It's that simple.

At the moment, Disney continues to enjoy record attendance and record profits at the parks. People may complain about the pricing, but people still go. That's all that matters.
People love to say Disney will raise the price till people stop coming. If that really is their intention it is poor planning, especially if they do not add improvements to justify increases. If a family saves and saves to go and then come away with the feeling that they did not get their money's worth, they have lost that family for future visits. Likewise a returning family that sees less attractions and quality than in the past may likewise feel ripped off and look to spend dollars elsewhere. It is hard to get customers back after a bad experience. Universal and DL have raised prices as well, but you can look at those parks and see clear improvements that have elevated the parks from where thay were 5 years ago.
At WDW where has the money gone? More construction of DVC Villas(I pity anyone shelling out for Poly while that went on) and a Fantasyland Expansion where the signature experience that defines it is a restaurant? Line em up Uni, DL-CA, WDW...one of these things is not like the other.

Last edited:

Club Cooloholic

DVC takes no money away from the Parks...it is a cash cow that Disney will continue to milk as run as it can.
What's your point? I never said it took money away, but on the surface to the average vacationer it looks like WDW is more interested in building Villas quickly than adding quality attractions.

jloucks

I'm starting to think that not only are they price gouging but raising the prices for crowd control reasons. After seeing rising attendance it's sickening how there robbing us like this not to mention dumbing the quality of many areas of the parks and shows.

Well, supply isn't really all that flexible. Price is the best tool they have for demand manipulation. The very fact that there are crowds would indicate they are NOT "gouging" in a broad sense. Disney is a luxury item. A discretionary item. It is not like something you must have. A person could argue that any luxury item is gougy. Gouging is typically associated with charging more for something you have no choice but to buy. Fitting that model to a luxury good or service sounds funny to me.

If the parks are full, price fits demand and might even be doing those at the park a favor!! (crowd control).

My unpopular opinion continues to be double or triple park admission prices and get the crowds under control.

Communicore

Well, in that one thread, they mentioned they got rid of the free cheese sauce. Which means they will charge for it, like an upcharge and it will just be served behind the counter. Good job, Disney. Toppings bar will be gone next, no more free salads and sauerkraut and onion sandwiches.

raven

DVC takes no money away from the Parks...it is a cash cow that Disney will continue to milk as run as it can.

What's your point? I never said it took money away, but on the surface to the average vacationer it looks like WDW is more interested in building Villas quickly than adding quality attractions.

The average guests (and several of my friends alike) see it as Disney is raising their ticket prices and building properties to pull more visitors into Disney time share. He was just mentioning this fact and that guests aren't seeing quality improvements and additions INSIDE the actual parks where the prices have increased. So to those average guests it seems as if though they are paying to fund projects at WDW that they aren't intending to experience. Disney needs to step up it's game at the parks and building more areas for guests to visit if they are wise.

WDW has become so crowded in the last few years that it's not even enjoyable anymore for some repeat customers. They can build more and more rooms and DVC's but all of those additional guests are going to be cramming the parks too. They really need to build another park at this point to even out crowds if they aren't planning on expanding what they already have in a major way.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member

You stated that no real improvements have been made at Walt Disney World in the last five years and than you asked where did all the money go and then implied that it went to DVC construction. Your quote is "At WDW where has the money gone? More construction of DVC Villas." So if your point was not that Disney was spending money on Disney Vacation Club and not the parks; than what's your point.

Maybe you should have said, "With all the money that Disney has made on Disney Vacation Club, why has not some of that been put back into the parks."

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
The average guests (and several of my friends alike) see it as Disney is raising their ticket prices and building properties to pull more visitors into Disney time share. He was just mentioning this fact and that guests aren't seeing quality improvements and additions INSIDE the actual parks where the prices have increased. So to those average guests it seems as if though they are paying to fund projects at WDW that they aren't intending to experience. Disney needs to step up it's game at the parks and building more areas for guests to visit if they are wise.

WDW has become so crowded in the last few years that it's not even enjoyable anymore for some repeat customers. They can build more and more rooms and DVC's but all of those additional guests are going to be cramming the parks too. They really need to build another park at this point to even out crowds if they aren't planning on expanding what they already have in a major way.

Now this is what I can agree with. As Disney makes money off the Disney Vacation Club and that this does increase the number of people stay "on park"; it will cause a increase at the gate. Disney should be taking some of the profits from Disney Vacation Club and putting it into more rides and attractions. Disney now has over 30,000 rooms on the park and they need to do something in the parks to keep the rooms full and people coming back or telling their friends to make a trip.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
I for one get tired of people blaming the lack of investment in the parks on Disney Vacation Club. Disney Vacation Club has never failed to make a quick return on investment on the properties that they have built. Most sell out within a few years, returning in a short time the money invested in the time shares plus a lot of profit. I am hoping that at this years Disney Convention in August we will hear about major improvements at Walt Disney World.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom