How far in advance is too far to start planning?

Minnie1986

If there's one thing I've noticed, it's that planning helps with my anxiety and COVID-19, social distancing and everything else going on has got my anxiety at an 11. With all that being said, I'd like to start working on my next WDW trip, but it wouldn't be until late September/early October 2021. I know it's early to get pricing and that kind of information. Has anyone starting planning a trip this far out? What's a good place to start? TIA!!

emcarle27

If there's one thing I've noticed, it's that planning helps with my anxiety and COVID-19, social distancing and everything else going on has got my anxiety at an 11. With all that being said, I'd like to start working on my next WDW trip, but it wouldn't be until late September/early October 2021. I know it's early to get pricing and that kind of information. Has anyone starting planning a trip this far out? What's a good place to start? TIA!!

We plan on going during this time! I've started to make rough plans and just waiting for packages to be released in June.

Upvote 0

Meg4theMouse

In the Parks
No
My family has only gone to WDW 4 times in my 18 years of life, but even when I was little my parents involved me and my older sister in the planning and they are both planners especially my Mom so they started early. We all loved having Disney vacation planning meetings. I say never too early.

Upvote 0

MissViv

Planning is the best part! I love all aspects of the planning and I change my mind too many times, especially with the resort. I will book one resort and then change my mind once or twice depending on the sales that come out. I have only gone a couple of times where I stuck with the resort that I picked first.

Upvote 0

ELG13

It's strange to me some times to hear all the rants about how "stressful" it is to plan a Disney vacation. Lol It personally gets me excited for my trip.
I too sorry of research all year long, I'm always checking out the restaurants because there are so many I haven't tried. So imo it's never to early.... unless of course you are driving everyone else stuck in quarantine with you crazy😜
I'm with you!!!! I adore planning our trips. We were supposed to leave next Saturday for a week. All I wanted for mother's day was to be in Disney. Ugh. I planned that trip for about 8 months. It's mostly looking at restaurants, discovering new stores we want to check out at Disney springs and getting more familiar with Epcot, HS, and AK. I know I drive my husband crazy asking him what he thinks about dining times, which menu looks better, FP plans....but most times he enjoys it too. I obsess a little over little things though and drive myself crazy lol...like decals for our magic bands, what shirts we want to wear (not too matchy matchy but maybe a little 😉) and what groceries we need for the cabin (and we ALWAYS still forget multiple things lol). I'm hoping I can just cut and paste this trip to next May. We had some great ADRs and FP. I was really looking forward to runaway railway.

Upvote 0

Poppinsfan05

In the Parks
No
I am a Foster Kid and have only been with my Foster Parents for a short time and in the time I have been really lucky to be exposed to two vacations in 2019 to Walt Disney World. After many placements some crappy and some not so bad I finally have hit the jackpot and feel I am the luckiest in the world. To top it all off I think they might just adopt me in the near future which for a teenager is crazy when you are in the Foster system. Enough about that though. To answer the question they always seem to be planning or adjusting something with the vacation. We have another hopefully going to go off in July of this year(fingers crossed) and they seem to tinker with it almost every day with something. I don't ask I just want to go and that is all I care about. :)

Upvote 0

MissViv

I am a Foster Kid and have only been with my Foster Parents for a short time and in the time I have been really lucky to be exposed to two vacations in 2019 to Walt Disney World. After many placements some crappy and some not so bad I finally have hit the jackpot and feel I am the luckiest in the world. To top it all off I think they might just adopt me in the near future which for a teenager is crazy when you are in the Foster system. Enough about that though. To answer the question they always seem to be planning or adjusting something with the vacation. We have another hopefully going to go off in July of this year(fingers crossed) and they seem to tinker with it almost every day with something. I don't ask I just want to go and that is all I care about. :)

Hope you get to go and congratulations with your foster home, hope adoption is in your future with your new foster family.

Upvote 0

Shouldigo12

Hope the best for you and your family.❤

Upvote 0

aliceismad

Planning vacations is a de-stressing hobby for me. I'm almost always researching vacations or reading trip reports, etc. My DH rolls his eyes, but we also usually book vacations 6-12 months out, and frankly, I just enjoy it. Glad so many others are the same. Makes me feel less bonkers. :)

Currently mourning our March cruise that was cancelled. Currently eyeing Oct 2021 for Disney.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rreading

My family has only gone to WDW 4 times in my 18 years of life, but even when I was little my parents involved me and my older sister in the planning and they are both planners especially my Mom so they started early. We all loved having Disney vacation planning meetings. I say never too early.

We involve our kids all the time! What resort will we stay at? Which parks/experiences will we do this time? Where will we eat? Then when it gets down to it, we plan our our FP together as well (though I usually am the one to lay out the day since I've the best perspective on timing and fatigue.

Upvote 0

Katelynbird

Mom and I love the planning part of of WDW vacations. With her work schedule and me now being in college it does make things extra difficult now. Add onto this who pandemic thing that puts things up in the air for the future. Mom and I do know we are limited to when we can go next year due to my college schedule and when she can take time off of work. I have Winter, Spring, and Summer breaks to work with and that has to work with time she can get off work. Add to that the availability of the resorts we can afford to stay at. It all makes for the fun of planning. So start as soon as possible and let your entire family join in. Have fun with it.

Upvote 0

Shouldigo12

Mom and I love the planning part of of WDW vacations. With her work schedule and me now being in college it does make things extra difficult now. Add onto this who pandemic thing that puts things up in the air for the future. Mom and I do know we are limited to when we can go next year due to my college schedule and when she can take time off of work. I have Winter, Spring, and Summer breaks to work with and that has to work with time she can get off work. Add to that the availability of the resorts we can afford to stay at. It all makes for the fun of planning. So start as soon as possible and let your entire family join in. Have fun with it.
As a fellow college student, I'll tell you what I do- if you know in advance what semester you'll be at Disney, plan your schedule accordingly. For me this mean taking classes I knew wouldn't have labs or an intense amount of work, plus an online class where I could get ahead on the work. Tell your teachers when you'll be away, and when the time gets closer (a few weeks away) remind them you'll be gone, and ask what work they'll expect turned in during that period so you can finish it up ahead of time. If you're willing to plan things out a bit and do a little extra schoolwork before you leave, it's no problem taking a trip while you're in school.

Upvote 0

Katelynbird

As a fellow college student, I'll tell you what I do- if you know in advance what semester you'll be at Disney, plan your schedule accordingly. For me this mean taking classes I knew wouldn't have labs or an intense amount of work, plus an online class where I could get ahead on the work. Tell your teachers when you'll be away, and when the time gets closer (a few weeks away) remind them you'll be gone, and ask what work they'll expect turned in during that period so you can finish it up ahead of time. If you're willing to plan things out a bit and do a little extra schoolwork before you leave, it's no problem taking a trip while you're in school.
The only problem with that is my major is Physical Education/Health Education and many of my classes are performance oriented classes that I have to take at least one each semester. I could easily do that with the Anatomy class and other classroom classes. Thank You for the advice.

Upvote 0

RememberWhen

We’ve got plans in the works for December 2020 and February 2021 (rescheduled trips due to summer plans changing), and October 2021. I can’t seem to stop planning!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom