How easy is it to book at non home resorts?

YayorNay

Original Poster
We wanted to know how easy it was to book other resorts in early December and the month of May. In a studio room with a standard view. Also, is June an easy month to book when looking at a 2 bedroom for family visits. This would be for non home resorts.

Pioneer Hall

Both times are a little on the popular side for different reasons. Early Dec is a DVC favorite because you get all the fun of the holidays for the lowest points of the year. May probably won't be as hard, but the flower and garden festival as well as colleges starting to let out can make it a bit more crowded. It also greatly depends on what non-home resort you are looking to book. If it's OWK or SSR then you probably won't have an issue. If you are looking for Wilderness Lodge or Beach Club it could be more difficult. Studios are usually the fastest rooms to sell as well which could add to your equation.

June starts to get a bit more difficult for any reservation. Again, your request would really be based on the resort you are looking to stay at. Some resorts are much easier to get at 7 months out than others.

tjkraz

For December, I would not count on getting anything other than one's Home Resort--certainly NOT one of the Standard View categories at a non-Home. Early December is extremely popular due to low points. Late December is popular due to the holidays and school vacations. All Standard Views are limited in number and often go first due to the lower costs.

May is quite a bit easier--particularly the first half of the month. Schools are still in session and it's often too close to the end of the year for parents to pull the kids out for vacation. You'll have many more options in May at 7 months, but again I would never count on getting a Standard View.

Coach81

We've only had one problem.. that was book BLT at the 7 month window.. but we got on a waiting list, and it came through. We have always been able to book any resort we've wanted to stay at.

kapeman

Certain resorts have tight booking times, but they are not impossible to get.

Many are able to book BCV in Oct for F&W and MNSSHP.

As stated by a PP your room type can determine availability.

Studios tend to go first, then 2BR then 1BR.

The GV are a class in an of themselves and are usually gone at 11 months.

That said, anything is possible.

YayorNay

Original Poster
I am considering getting a majority of the points at ssr and then a smaller amount at bwv or blt. Switching resorts every other year and going once or twice each year. Is it possible to rent out a studio at both resorts for the same week to accommodate myself and family if a two bedroom is not available.

kapeman

I am considering getting a majority of the points at ssr and then a smaller amount at bwv or blt. Switching resorts every other year and going once or twice each year. Is it possible to rent out a studio at both resorts for the same week to accommodate myself and family if a two bedroom is not available.

Yes.

Provided there is availability and you have the required points, you can book any accommodations you like.

When you can book them is dependent upon the Home resort that the points belong to.

You can also transfer points between contracts. I can't recall if the transferred points keep the same resort affiliation or not.

Pioneer Hall

Yes.

Provided there is availability and you have the required points, you can book any accommodations you like.

When you can book them is dependent upon the Home resort that the points belong to.

You can also transfer points between contracts. I can't recall if the transferred points keep the same resort affiliation or not.

Yes, transfered points do retain their original home resort status (however sometimes this translation gets lost in the DVC system). Keep in mind though that you can only do one incoming or outgoing transfer per year.

tjkraz

Bear in mind that you can only book at 11 months equal to the number of points you OWN at a resort. If you buy 25 points at BLT, you can only book 25 points' worth of vacations at 11 months. Banking and borrowing can help you accumulate more points to use every 2-3 years. But don't assume that you can use the SSR points to book BLT at 11 months just because you own some number of BLT points. Home resort is tracked for every single point and they just won't let you do that.

Owning multiple contracts with different Use Years and/or contract numbers can also complicate things dramatically.

FWIW, I have a small contract (40 points) and find it difficult to manage. If I had to do it over again, I would never own less than 100 points at a given resort. Point reallocations and changing vacation habits (different dates, different room size) can wreak havoc on even the best laid plans. And there are always straggler points which I have to wait until 7 months to combine with others for some non-Home booking.

YayorNay

Original Poster
I'm pretty much looking at getting around 50-75 points at bwv or blt and then around 100-150 at ssr. I'm hoping by banking the smaller contract every other year I will always have enough to stay at whatever view studio would be available at the 11th month mark. I would prefer both contracts having the same use year to keep it simple.

MaxsDad

I have gotten a 1BR at BCV at the 7 month mark for a stay in May. I have gotten a studio at VWL at the 7 month mark for both first week of june and first week of August. (These were 5 nights or more stays).

They say these are the harder resorts to book. For an example of an easier resort to book, I was able to book 3 nights in a studio at OKW about 2 weeks before my arrival day in September.

In December, I have only stayed at my home resort.

Hope this info helps.

LivFreeorDisney

This morning we tried to book a 2 bedroom villa at BWV (SSR being our home) and we couldn't do it. Our fallback plan was AKV and they had room for us in September. This was the first time in six years that we were not able to get the resort we wanted. In the past we have been able to get VWL, OKW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom