How does your young child sleep in the same room?

6laurac

Original Poster
Hello all,

We're taking our almost 3 year old to DW next May and I'm in planning stage 1. That age old question of on site (1 room) vs. off site (suite) is raising his head and the big thing I wonder/worry about is how she will sleep and nap in the same room with us? :shrug:
She sleeps well alone by the way. I'd like for her to have an enjoyable visit and get a proper night's rest and a nap like she does at home and daycare.

Please provide input on how your child did the first time he/she slept in the same room with you and how did they do taking naps?

Thanks all

Annielkd

My son had no problem. We went when he was 5 and at that time he didn't take naps.... but, we had him take one while there. He slept in the bed with me and my husband slept in the other one. As he got older he slept in his own bed and my husband and I shared the other one. It's been fine for 5 years. It's only a small amount of time.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I have 3 kids ranging in ages from 11-20 and sleeping in the same room at Disney has never been much of a problem. It is not as good as at home but never so bad that it was an issue.

6laurac

Original Poster
I have 3 kids ranging in ages from 11-20 and sleeping in the same room at Disney has never been much of a problem. It is not as good as at home but never so bad that it was an issue.

Thanks Master Yoda :wave:-I guess I'm worried that she won't take a good nap with us being there in the same room. But she does sleep at daycare so hopefully with us watching tv or on the computer she will nap as well.

Annielkd

I couldn't get my son to nap unless I took one with him! But, he wasn't used to napping. If she's able to nap at daycare without an issue (my son had to have someone rub his back!) then you probably might need to be quiet at first, then watch tv or something.

wilkeliza

Hello all,

We're taking our almost 3 year old to DW next May and I'm in planning stage 1. That age old question of on site (1 room) vs. off site (suite) is raising his head and the big thing I wonder/worry about is how she will sleep and nap in the same room with us? :shrug:
She sleeps well alone by the way. I'd like for her to have an enjoyable visit and get a proper night's rest and a nap like she does at home and daycare.

Please provide input on how your child did the first time he/she slept in the same room with you and how did they do taking naps?

Thanks all

If she is still small enough to fit in a pack and play (I know some 3 year olds can and some can't) or you pack a kindermat with you you could easily put her in the dressing section of the moderates and deluxe resorts and draw the curtain to give her a little more privacy. You would only have to disturb her nap if you have to go to the bathroom. I know some parents who even do that when they sleep because they want their younger kids to go to bed before everyone else.

I've heard you can do this at the All-Stars and Pop as well but I don't know if all of them have the curtains.

HouCuseChickie

Our girls were 2 and 4 on their first visit. They were so tired that I think they would have slept anywhere that we put them...well, except for the stroller on that first trip...that was the one place they wouldn't sleep. But yea- getting them to the dark cool resort room was enough for them to zonk out for a while for naps and for night time sleep. :snore:

jme

Ours slept in their pack and play just fine around that age. If she's too big for a pack and play but you aren't comfortable with her sleeping on a twin bed (roll off concerns) then consider bringing an inflatable mattress and a sleeping bag. If you get a room with 1 queen bed (I'm assuming its mom/dad/3yo only) an inflatable mattress will fit just fine even at a value resort.

DisDadEddie

My son naps in his stroller in the parks frequently, the heat makes him take naps throughout the day.We make sure the kids stay hydrated, they love ice and since it is free it's great. At the resort we all sleep in the same room. My wife & I sleep together and my kids ages 6 and 2 sleep in the bed next to use with bed rails to be extra safe for the two year old.They always fall asleep right away when we get to the room. We are park commandos, in the parks from opening until closing.My son takes more naps there then he does at home since at home he doesn't take them at all.

MITCH 112198

I have DD 8 and DS 3. We get 2 double beds and they sleep with me and the DH gets his own bed.
As for a nap we just lay DS down the the bed and we what tv and he goes to sleep.

Yoshiandi

I have DD 8 and DS 3. We get 2 double beds and they sleep with me and the DH gets his own bed.
As for a nap we just lay DS down the the bed and we what tv and he goes to sleep.

Wait...3 people in one bed and one in the other?!?!? and on double beds?!?!? How the heck does that work out for you?? Please tell me your hubby is like 7ft tall or something :eek:

Worn out from all the fun of the day= one tired kid!! No worries.

tracyandalex

Our strategies for DD3 - walk her around the parks till she passes out for a nap, at night we get bed rails for her bed and read her a story and tuck her in and then we put on CNN and she falls asleep pretty quickly. She watches cause it's tv, but it's too boring for her and she's so tired from the parks so she falls asleep. We have actually used the boring tv show at home too and it works most of the time

Vader2112

What we do is that when my son (2) takes his nap my wife or I will stay with him . If my daughter does not want to take a nap as well the other will take her for a walk arounfd the resort and get an ice cream or look in the gift shop. One plus side is that there is also one well rested parent. :)

Britt

My older 2 (7 and soon to be 6) will share a bed. My 2 year old (at the time of travel), will sleep with my husband and I.

We co-sleep with our youngest anyway, so it's no biggie for us. He has a bed in our bedroom that he sleeps in and then comes and snuggles up with me around 1-2. He'll have no problems sleeping while there : )

WithAnX

That age old question of on site (1 room) vs. off site (suite) is raising his head and the big thing I wonder/worry about is how she will sleep and nap in the same room with us? :shrug:

Off site doesn't necessarily have to be the only option for a suite. Have you checked out the new Art of Animation which is all family suites right now. I'm not sure how the prices compare, but it might be a better option. Our daughter was only 14 months when we last went and she slept fine in the studio in the resort provided pack'n'play. Next trip she'll be just about 2 so I don't know how things will change as she gets older.

Sean

lovetheears

My 3 kids are horrible at falling asleep be it at home or disney! they are all worried about 'missing something'. After the 2nd night at disney though they are all sooo exhausted from all the fun that they become excellent sleeper at night:) I do find that the nap is hard because the 2 kids in the stroller fall asleep when ever they are tired and the schedualed nap disapears and rest time at the resort becomes play in the pool time (and only the adults want the nap).

bmarkelon

Yup, it all works out for us in the same room. My DH shares a bed with DS5, I share a bed with the little one, 2 on this upcoming trip. And we actually drag the sleeper chair into our room for our DD7 so she is with us too. Everyone is so ready for bedtime at the end of the day we all just crash together.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom