How does a 'free' child work?

We are planning to go next March, and I am a little confused about how my son will be categorized. He will be 2 at the time, so technically free. Will he get a Magic Band? Do we purchase a ticket for him? I understand he is free on the dining plan, so he wouldn't be included in the calculations at a restaurant. However, could we order a meal for him at the restaurant and pay for it out of pocket?

This is confusing me!!

nickys

Premium Member
We are planning to go next March, and I am a little confused about how my son will be categorized. He will be 2 at the time, so technically free. Will he get a Magic Band? Do we purchase a ticket for him? I understand he is free on the dining plan, so he wouldn't be included in the calculations at a restaurant. However, could we order a meal for him at the restaurant and pay for it out of pocket?

This is confusing me!!

He doesn't need a ticket. He can enter lines with you, including the FP lines, to ride if he's tall enough.

He can share your meal, or you can order him a meal and pay for it. But make sure to include him in any reservations you make.

Not sure about a magic band, I think I've seen reports that he can get one if/when you check-in at the resort.

Upvote 0

DisneyDreamer08

When my daughter was one she got a magic band included in the box that was shipped to us. She was also listed online in our account. Her magic band did nothing, I think its more just for an older free kid (like a 2 year old) to not feel left out and still want a band like everyone else. She never even wore hers.
If you have an ADRs at buffet restaurants, they can eat off the buffet for free.

Upvote 0

JD80

He gets a magic band, at least my son at 2 did.

For DP, he "eats from your plate" so you can always ask for a separate plate or if you're at a buffet, just get his own food and they won't charge you for him. He also doesn't need a ticket at any park.

If you want to order anything, Disney will not stop you for spending any money anywhere.

Upvote 0

disneyworlddad

Have done this with an under two. We booked through Disney Travel agent and he was included in our reservation. He did recieve a magic band to wear but it didn't do anything. Just take him in line with you if he can ride. We ate at Beirgarten "buffet" and we just fed him off our plates. We ate at Ohana and he ate off our plates. Ohana actually brought him a different dessert, brownie with ice cream/whip cream. Which he devoured. When we ate at a regular sit down we just ordered him something and paid for it out of pocket. If you make dining reservations make sure to include him in the overall number. You, wife, son would = 3 for the reservation.

Upvote 0

TDGMedley

Yes, He will get a magic band, and from my experience it works. I have given the band to another family member so they could get in my room and so they could by something for my child while he or she was with them. But they do not have to wear it or have a park ticket. And you can always buy food for them, or eat off your plate for no charge. When making reservations you do have to include them in the total number or the party even if they are free.

Upvote 0

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
We took our 1.25 yr old last August and I would agree with everything noted above. One thing you do need to consider is that for any table service restaurant (even though they could eat off your plate for free), they would still be counted in your group total and if you have 6 or more people, they will automatically charge you the 18% gratuity on your check (even if it's 5 people ordering food + 1 infant/toddler).

Upvote 0

Michele75

When we travelled with a child under 3, they were always helpful at table service restaurants- at least most. The child got a drink free and in some places they asked if the could bring an extra side or fruit rather than buying a whole meal. That was four years ago.

Upvote 0

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
My daughter was just under three when we went and she got a Magic Band. She fake scanned it everywhere we did, too (rides, photopass photographers, getting into the park, etc.). She loved it so much.

I didn't see it mentioned here and I know you didn't really ask, but there's a hack for the MB to make it smaller for little ones. You take off the rubber lining on the outside of the band. It's still a little clunky, though.

When you reserve dining, reserve it counting the child. Don't forget that!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom