How do you plan Food and Wine?

Chezman1399

I've just started planning an early October 10 day trip for Food and Wine Staying at the Polynesian Villas and Bungalows in a Standard View Studio. This will be my fifth Food and Wine Trip.

Everytime we go to the Food and Wine Festival we're always finding ways to improve our experience, so I was wondering how other people plan their time for Food and Wine.

The first time I went for the festival was by accident, I went down for Halloween and had no expectations. The second time was the last weekend of the festival and there was a golf tournament going on, holiday weekend (Veteran's Day), Marathon, and last weekend so it was really busy and a bit too much for us. The third time we went for an entire week, but had no clue about all the different cooking classes and special events and I left my Chase card at home. Finally, the fourth time we planned around the Festival and had an amazing time, but I got sick early in the trip, and I was pretty bad by the end.

So for try number 5 we're going to go to the 20th Annual Epcot Food and Wine Festival this year.

Hotel: Polynesian
Number of Days: 10 days (Spending about 4 or 5 days at Epcot)
Planned 'to dos' outside of festival: A day at GF spa, MNSSHP
Planned 'to dos' at Festival:
Food and Wine Premium Package - As long as they have it again. I was skeptical due to the price last year ($199.99) but this ended up being worth every penny. The late night party that was included was a blast and included 6 free food/drink items. The special VIP areas were nice to get away from the crowd and the hosts/food runners were amazing. Not sure I could do Food and Wine without this. Due to this package we'll most likely be at the festival Monday-Thursday of the week we are there.

Parisian Breakfast -
Another thing we did last year that was amazing, except it was at the end of our trip and I felt horrible. We made it through breakfast then spent the rest of the day in our room. I want to experience it without a stuffy nose.

At least 1 Country Premium Wine/Dine Experience
At least 1 food seminar

So I guess at the end of this how do you guys experience the food and wine festival? Is there anything you consider can't miss at it in early October? At the 3rd trip it was amazing to see just how much we were missing, is there anything else we may not have experienced yet??

TXDisney

We always leave atleast 2 days to just won't it and eat and drink around the f&w festival rather then doing dinner reservations. We do dining reservations on the trip as well, but it's nice to just wing it a couple days.

Upvote 0

tmm7899

This past year was the first time at The Food and Wine Festival for me. We did the tequila signature event one day, the sake event one day, the Parisian Breakfast on a third day. We made the mistake of having the deluxe dining plan, as we didn't know that the food and wine special events would have so much food! Next time, we are going to do more of the signature events with food and wine and not do the dining plan at all.

I think 2016 will be the next time I go back.

Upvote 0

jaklgreen

You sound like me. :) Going down for 2 weeks for the F&WF. I love the Hibachi experience in Japan. I also do the wine view lounge at the Party for the senses. I also do a lot of the lower cost food and mixology seminars. Plus if they do any special events like Food for Thought, I try to go to those too because the food is usually amazing. I always do Sunday mornings with..(used to be called Sweet Sundays).

Upvote 0

DisneyDebNJ

I've just started planning an early October 10 day trip for Food and Wine Staying at the Polynesian Villas and Bungalows in a Standard View Studio. This will be my fifth Food and Wine Trip.

Everytime we go to the Food and Wine Festival we're always finding ways to improve our experience, so I was wondering how other people plan their time for Food and Wine.

The first time I went for the festival was by accident, I went down for Halloween and had no expectations. The second time was the last weekend of the festival and there was a golf tournament going on, holiday weekend (Veteran's Day), Marathon, and last weekend so it was really busy and a bit too much for us. The third time we went for an entire week, but had no clue about all the different cooking classes and special events and I left my Chase card at home. Finally, the fourth time we planned around the Festival and had an amazing time, but I got sick early in the trip, and I was pretty bad by the end.

So for try number 5 we're going to go to the 20th Annual Epcot Food and Wine Festival this year.

Hotel: Polynesian
Number of Days: 10 days (Spending about 4 or 5 days at Epcot)
Planned 'to dos' outside of festival: A day at GF spa, MNSSHP
Planned 'to dos' at Festival:
Food and Wine Premium Package - As long as they have it again. I was skeptical due to the price last year ($199.99) but this ended up being worth every penny. The late night party that was included was a blast and included 6 free food/drink items. The special VIP areas were nice to get away from the crowd and the hosts/food runners were amazing. Not sure I could do Food and Wine without this. Due to this package we'll most likely be at the festival Monday-Thursday of the week we are there.

Parisian Breakfast -
Another thing we did last year that was amazing, except it was at the end of our trip and I felt horrible. We made it through breakfast then spent the rest of the day in our room. I want to experience it without a stuffy nose.

At least 1 Country Premium Wine/Dine Experience
At least 1 food seminar

So I guess at the end of this how do you guys experience the food and wine festival? Is there anything you consider can't miss at it in early October? At the 3rd trip it was amazing to see just how much we were missing, is there anything else we may not have experienced yet??
We do Food and Wine every year, and also stay at the Polynesian. We normally visit during a Free Dining offer, so upgrade to Deluxe, (which allows 2 snack credits per person, and use them to *eat around World Showcase*! Alcoholic beverages are not included as a snack credit) We avoid the weekends at Epcot, as it gets super busy, and do Magic Kingdom instead. A few months before your trip, you will be able to find a list of what foods/drinks will be available during the festival. I highly suggest looking the list over, and plan which Country has something you would want to try. There are so many seminars and experiences during Food and Wine, some return from year to year, but there are also lots of new goings on. The Eat to the Beat concert series is fun too! A list of performers usually is released mid summer. There is no *wrong* way to do Food and Wine, actually, but again, avoiding the weekends is your best bet. Enjoy!!

Upvote 0

RinkaDink

Agree with prev responses, avoid weekends if possible at F&W. We learned the hard way not to eat and drink at every kiosk, we were tipsy before we'd gotten to France. We alternated food at one, drink at the next, and we shared our tastes of food when possible (except at Italy, I refuse to share Italy, get yer own!) We found not making a reservation for a sit down at Epcot worked, we ate enough while wandering around. Also, we figured out that the price of a table service out of pocket was roughly equal to what we laid out wandering the world snacking the tapas sized portions.
Oh, and if we were still hungry, or needed a more substantial meal, we headed over to The Land and ate there.

Upvote 0

Otterhead

Definitely avoid weekends. Don't go on a hot day if possible; there's not much shade along the 'snack route' and it can be brutal during the warm months. Use your Dining Plan snacks for the food, most of the food items are on the snack plan -- save your snacks for F&W.

My friends and I got our passports stamped. We ate everything. It can be done.

Upvote 0

EvilQueen-T

We've progressed along pretty much like you have. At first we just did the kiosks and will still do a day or two just doing those for new or favorite items. Then we did the single item cooking demos where you get like a single item with a wine pairing. Last trip we did the Voltaggio lunch (4 or 5 courses) plus wine and another day did the tequila tasting lunch at La Hacienda. Also I go with a variations of family members and that really makes a difference in the experience. Plus I never make regular dining adr's on our days at epcot for food and wine it's just to much food.

Upvote 0

Tinkerbella16

My plan - stay as far away from it as possible!
LOL My thoughts exactly! But of course they had to extend it this year so there will be no Epcot time without the F&W Festival like I was used to in the past. I know one thing, I will not be in Epcot on the weekend of my trip that's for sure. I do plan on trying it out since I arrive on a Thursday, I may just go and I like to go to Epcot on arrival day anyway... Just to try a couple of items. In 2013, just trying to get around World Showcase was a turn off for us. It was horrible. I want to try the food, I can care less about the alcohol.

Upvote 0

Chezman1399

Original Poster
Seems like a lot of people have done the Tequila tasting event, I may have to try that. That Hibachi experience sounds interesting too. I'll have to give them a look when the events are released for this year.

Upvote 0

zeebs758

In the Parks
Yes
When my girlfriend and I went back in 2013, I had planned an afternoon and evening for the Food and Wine Festival. It was our first time going so we didn't know what to expect. I did some research online and the best tip I found was to share food and drink items. We toured the entire World Showcase Pavilion tasting whatever looked appetizing to us. I had a list of a few items that I saw online before the trip that I absolutely need to try.

We got to the park around 1-2 and stayed until Illuminations finished. In that time, we ate and drank 25 items and had dinner reservations in France. We ate and drank A LOT that day ha. It was one of the best days we were there.

We went back again later that week and tried some more :)

Upvote 0

Lexi

After going to the festival a few times now our plan is to have no plan, except for the special ticket items like the 3D dessert party, which is not to be missed.
We like to just walk slowly in circles. See something you like, then stop. Line too long, make a mental note to stop there on the next lap around.

Upvote 0

LoveDiz

I agree! Loved reading this...very helpful. We are attending our first food and wine festival in Oct. thanks for the heads up on the weekend crowds. Would you say Epcot is more busy during food wine than say spring break?

Upvote 0

EvilQueen-T

I agree! Loved reading this...very helpful. We are attending our first food and wine festival in Oct. thanks for the heads up on the weekend crowds. Would you say Epcot is more busy during food wine than say spring break?

On the weekends especially toward sundown and particularly in mid to late October yes imo. But when Easter is early and kinda lands right on top of spring break the weekends with flower and garden can be pretty busy too.

Upvote 0

Jessica Meier

Interested in this too. We plan on visiting Epcot on Monday and Thursday of our trip the first full week of October. Doubt we can do the special tastings and such since my 6 year old will be with us but we will still love it!

Upvote 0

ToTBellHop

Very excited to do F&W for the first time this year! We will have two 2-year olds, so I'm not planning to do any of the special events, but we are very much looking forward to the food!

Upvote 0

EvilQueen-T

Very excited to do F&W for the first time this year! We will have two 2-year olds, so I'm not planning to do any of the special events, but we are very much looking forward to the food!
When we go with little one's we try to work where we eat around them playing at the kid spots so they can color even if it means one person stands in line to get food and brings it to the other person who stays with the kids coloring or when they're old enough we work where we stop around them playing Agent P.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom