How do you keep toddlers from wandering?? & more

wishiwere@wdw

I agree with the stroller naps! It always amazed me how we could go over bumps, be around all that noise and sometimes even pick him up and go in a sit-down attraction (like Philharmagic) and he wouldn't even wakeup.

I guess most of us know our own kids and what they can handle. We are pretty good at reading ours so just be sure to pay attention to how they are doing and what they need and everything should be just fine :)

ps - thanks for the tip on the train at World Showcase Laura22! I forgot all about that being there and my son is absolutely addicted to trains! I was so worried because usually we hang out at the one under the Christmas tree at Magic Kingdom but obvoiusly that won't be there in April...

First off, I think the behavior is normal "terrible twos" behavior - we had a few months of that behavior from two of our kids around that age, but they grew out of it.

As far as the "running off" situation - hopefully you won't get accidentally separated at the park, but a word of advice if you do - sew your name and cell phone number into the children's clothes. Also, your kids may be too young for this, but we plan to give each of ours an index card to keep in their pocket with all emergency contact info (cell phones, hotel we're staying at, our names, etc.) and instruct them that if they ever get separated, find someone with a Disney name tag, tell them they're lost, and show them the card.

If running off is a big problem, I'd also suggest easily recognizable clothing (bright purple, etc...)

Finally, the advice others have given to take it easy at the parks and not burn them out is critical for a good time...

Icekid84

**good humor, no real harm towards animals or kids implied**
..... lol well while I was at my Dad's work place using his PC I noticed this thread and then it hit me...

You know those collars that people put on there animals to stop them from leaving the yard? You know gives them a bit of a shock I guess well why not for kids?? ROFL

Imagine this...

Parent1: Tommy NO! Get back here right now.
Tommy: NO!! *Runs away*
Parent 1 looks at parent 2 and smiles
Parent 1 pulls out the remote and pressed the button
*plop* down to the ground goes Tommy shaking like a seizure

*Writing appears on TV saying the "THE SHOCK WANDERER 3000"

Sorry I know I'm not contributing, just a bit of sadistic humor: hammer:

barnum42

Icekid84 said:
..... lol well while I was at my Dad's work place using his PC I noticed this thread and then it hit me...

You know those collars that people put on there animals to stop them from leaving the yard? You know gives them a bit of a shock I guess well why not for kids?? ROFL

Imagine this...

As long as it does not leave a visible mark it should be legal to market this little device of yours :drevil:

:lol:

Trishnh

Icekid84 said:

Imagine this...

where can I buy one??? :lol: :lol: :p My Dh & I are always joking about this :lol: :lol: :lol:

cherrynegra

Well, my parents had a way of keeping me and my siblings in line. Those days it was called being raised right. These days it's called child abuse. :lookaroun

PhotoDave219

hakunamatata said:
No, seriously....duct tape....

Ya know, Gaffer Tape works just as well and doesnt stick to the hair as much when you pull it off....

.... ANYHOW.... Do i think you're setting yourself up for disaster? Honestly, Yes. While i'm sure youre good parents, i think your little one has caught on to the whole 'lets-make-a-scene' method to get their way. (Or so it sounds like)

You and your husband are going to have to find a way to manage the situation so that it doesnt ruin you trip. I dont think a stroller, harness, wrist strap or duct tape will do that.

Ive seen these things countless times on Main Street. Its not going to be fun and your going to have to try to make the best of a bad situation. Ive seen kids haev meltdowns while the parents ignore them and ive seen the opposite. However the most unique solution i saw (that seemed to work) was just putting their kid in 'Time-Out' on a bench.

I do wish you luck and a lot of patience.

EpcoTim

You could just do what most parents at WDW do, and just pretend to not notice the kids as they make other guests vacations a nightmare.

TwoTigersMom

wannab@dis said:
I don't want to get a leash war started, but let me just make one comment. How many have kids that just DO NOT want to hold your hand, but would gladly walk a couple of feet from your with a nylon strap connected to their back. I wasn't sure about them until I saw my SIL use one with my niece. She done great and would actually hand it to you to put on if they had taken it off. She loved to walk with it instead of riding in a stroller or holding hands.

Exactly, my mom and my grandma keep my son while I work. My grandma is 80 years too old to be running after a very active 3 year old and my mom has very poor health. She can't even feel her feet much less run on them. Being a paranoid mommy, I bought an ordinary dog leash and asked my mom and grandma to put it on him when they went outside for walks. DS absolutely LOVES it. He knows it means they are going somewhere fun, he can explore, doesn't have to walk right next to us and doesn't have us squeezing his hand all day. Mom even had a police officer pull up beside her one day and tell her he wished more people had that idea, there would be fewer kids hit by cars. I liked the dog leash over the kid product because the kid product fastens with velcro. It's too easy to remove in my opinion, either by the child or someone trying to take your child.
For the attitude, have you heard of Dr. Dobson with Focus on The Family? I am in no way, a very religious person. I believe in God, but I don't go to church. Just don't want anyone thinking that's why I reccomend his ideas. I decided long before I had children that I wanted to raise my kids with values. When I had my 1st DS, I came across Dr. Dobson's book Bringing up Boys. The only reason I bought it was because, like I said I wanted to raise them with values (much better than mine hahaha). Anyway, I was so impressed with the book I bought his book about raising the defiant child (when DS started acting like you described yours). I absolutely loved it. The biggest help I got from that book (please don't scream) was using a wooden spoon instead of your hand for spankings. He says that your hands should only be used for love. Also that when you hit with your hand you sometimes hit harder than you mean to. Using a spoon, your more careful about where and how hard you spank. I started out by using the spoons I had in my drawer. It worked. I couldn't believe the difference. I told him he would get a spanking if he did/ did not do "such & such" then if he did it he got a spanking. DH has a favorite wooden spatula that he huses to make stir fry, well soon I took it over because it worked best for spankings. It's flat instead of rounded like the spoons. He made me give it back to him so I went to Kitchen Collection and bought about 10 of them. I keep 1 in every room, 1 in the car, 1 in the diaper bag and 1 at my grandma's. After a few months of consistant and fair spankings, now I only have to say "Do we need the spoon?" or just show it to him and he immediately changes.
I'm sorry for being so long winded. I hope this helps you. Keep in mind these are just my opinions and should be taken with a grain of salt if you choose to. And I in no way what so ever condone anything more than A spanking. All it every took with DS was 1 swift pop on the bottom or back of the leg and if I was ever angry with him I always told him I would come back in a minute with his spanking. Then I would take a minute or 2 to calm down before giving him his punishment.

Atta83

HagansMommie said:
The biggest help I got from that book (please don't scream) was using a wooden spoon instead of your hand for spankings. He says that your hands should only be used for love. Also that when you hit with your hand you sometimes hit harder than you mean to. Using a spoon, your more careful about where and how hard you spank. I started out by using the spoons I had in my drawer. It worked. I couldn't believe the difference. I told him he would get a spanking if he did/ did not do "such & such" then if he did it he got a spanking. DH has a favorite wooden spatula that he huses to make stir fry, well soon I took it over because it worked best for spankings. It's flat instead of rounded like the spoons. He made me give it back to him so I went to Kitchen Collection and bought about 10 of them. I keep 1 in every room, 1 in the car, 1 in the diaper bag and 1 at my grandma's. After a few months of consistant and fair spankings, now I only have to say "Do we need the spoon?" or just show it to him and he immediately changes. .

Ahhh the wooden spoon , me and my bro were very good friends with it but we grew out of our stages. It really worked onmy bro, I mean after a few of them literally broke over his butt ( cause it was used so many times) we eventually stopped being bad. This was all but give or take 10 years ago, it was like going to grandmas and hearing her say go pick ya out a switch :lookaroun

Your family should be alright as you go there, things will tire them out and so will the excitement! But remember to have fun!!!:D

Yellow Shoes

Can we pleeeeeze not make this thread a debate about the efficacy of spanking as a child rearing tool?

Let's talk instead about something non-controversial like pool hopping, parking in the monorail resort parking lots, or re-using your Dixie Landings mugs at the Polynesian. (insert evil laugh :goodnevil )

Thanks everyone!!

Gail Hayden

cherrynegra said:
Well, my parents had a way of keeping me and my siblings in line. Those days it was called being raised right. These days it's called child abuse. :lookaroun

LOL, amen to that. I was abused, a LOT!!! But, we never had temper tantrums and KNEW to cool it when we got the "look". We could be taken anywhere at anytime and my parents knew we would behave. I raised mine the same way, sans the spankings. :)

Sorry YellowShoes, I read your post after I posted this. Not trying to start a debate.
I don't think pool hopping, mug use, or parking will answer the OPs questions. ;)

DisneyMarg

Yes, it's age and it will go away but will likely come back in some other form. I always tell parents of toddlers... figure out what works when they're 3 and remember it - you'll need it again at 13! "Honey, you sound like you need a nap" "Sweetie, you can't talk to your mother like that" "Why don't you go to your room and cool off a while?" LOL

We went when DD was 3 and early in the week left her at the resort childcare so we could enjoy the world part of Epcot. As it turns out, she LOVED the resort childcare much better than any of the parks. When she asked the next day when she could go back, the light snapped on and we said, "Today, tomorrow, whenever you want!" She spent most of the vacation in childcare, but we did take her to MK. Even at that, she still says that going to the "Kiddie Club" (or whatever it was called) was her favorite thing at Disney. Somehow we thought she OUGHT to go to the parks and enjoy them, but as it turned out we all enjoyed the vacation much better when she was happy and cared for and we could do what we want.

One more thing... maybe for when they get older. We found that run-around time in one of the park "playgrounds", like Tom Sawyer Island or Honey I Shrunk the Kids Movie set, was really more invigorating for them than a nap. I don't think it's as much that they were tired, as it is that they were tired of being in line and having to behave. Dad and I would take paperback books, find a corner where we could keep an eye out, and read for an hour while the kids just enjoyed being kids. Then, soft drinks for everyone and back in line again....

PixiePower

I have learned alot about going to the parks over the last few years with kids...mine are currently 8 and 6. I have not used a stoller since my little one turned 4. Before that we rented a double stroller and I often only had one in there at a time. I would not recommend the rented stollers for those under 3 ...they can get out while you are walking!(Except for the strollers at DS) We employed different tactics with little ones but a backpack and single stroller worked well and then a single stroller and the leash on VERY CROWDED days.

I go often with just my girls( DH job takes him out of the country alot) and we always start our day early. Breakfast and cartoons in the room and to the parks to see the opening ceremonies. We have done so much without having to trip over others that by the time it gets crowded we have lunch and head back to the hotel for a swim/nap. After that we go back to a park for evening. We have done the parks all day, in the heat and we quickly learned it wasn't worth it. Everyone gets cranky that way!

I also head to quiet, less crowded attractions if someone starts to get cranky...some a/c...a place to sit...and a snack always rev them up again.
MK I like to ride TTA a couple of times without getting off (my 6 year old still takes a power nap on there!) and then go to CoP. The combination is fun and relaxing in the midst of overstimulation! At EPCOT you can find a lot of quiet places to duck into ...Just depends on what you like...we like UoE but that may scare very young ones. AT DS we like to duck into Muppets for a break and at AK you best bet is to find a quiet area to watch the animals for a bit.

I still find the hardest part of the day closing time. STAY PUT until the crowd clears out after the shows. It is worth the wait to not be in the crowd. But if we do get into that situation I hold onto both by the hand with one in front and one in back. They dont want to lose me so they dont let go and anyone that tries to break between us gets the evil eye and or elbow in the ribs! :)

The rest of the time you will see me (and this has been for 2 years )with 2 very happy girls in flip flops...yes, flip flops...skipping about 5 feet ahead of me heading for the next ride. I don't stress, we stop and do what THEY want to do as much as possible...even though there are a few things they have to do for me :) Do what you can do and enjoy the parks...they aren't going anywhere and you can come back again...even if it takes years. My girls are at an age when they wonder why people get cranky and yell at their kids in the parks..my favorite line was when my youngest wondered why a mommy was yelling so loudly at her little girl and my older one responded loudly enough for many to hear " Because she didn't take her nap today!" She got many chuckles from nearby adults.

All in all the most important thing is to relax, take breaks and HAVE FUN! Enjoy the times your kids interact with CMS and characters...they are the best memories along with eating ice cream and ending up with it everywhere...who cares? Let them have fun and get dirty. You will be richly rewarded if you relax ....and so will your kids! Laugh alot, sing, dance and enjoy the Magic.

PixiePower

The leashes aren't my favorite and I thought the same thing until I had a baby and a 2 year old...even worse was a 1 yr old and a 3 yr old. Sometimes toddlers just want to walk and their hands can be slippery little things! It is way better then losing a little one in a crowd. I would rather look silly then put my child in danger. But I also think the child has to agree to it...if the child screams and fights it another solution is warranted. Its not worth the battle. I always told mine if they didn't want to hold my hand or have the leash in a crowd they could go back in the stroller. That usually ended the problem.

GenerationX

A couple of suggestions:
1. Have the kids wear matching bright colored shirts each day.
2. Hit the playgrounds in each park.
3. Grab hold of their hand or shirt when exiting an attraction.

These have worked well for us (my boys are now 5, 7, and 9). As for the tantrums, they will grow out of them. If during a tantrum they are removed from the area and not given their way, they will grow out of them quicker.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom