how do you handle the parks, walking, etc. with fibromyalgia,arthritis?

Minnesota disney fan

Hi: I have a severe form of fibromyalgia which is called a "malignant form of fms for which nothing helps and will only get worse". Stated by my rheumatologist. Whew! Needless to say, I start out in pain and it gets pretty unbearable by noon. I go back to the resort and rest. Then out to another park or DTD, or just to explore our resort for a very short while. I rest a lot while at the parks and take my time.
I was just wondering what others do to help them with all the walking, rushing, etc. It is pretty tiring and painful just to walk from the bus to park entrance. Thanks1

Minnesota disney fan

Original Poster
It is my understanding that there are several companies in the Lake Buena Vista area that rent electric mobility devices. I think I have seen a couple of them in the parks.

Yea, I know, but I am interested in other ways to help. I was one of those skeptical people who thought a lot of people scammed the system and now when I could benefit from one, I am hesitant. So, wondering what other peoples with fms do to help?

Upvote 0

graphite1326

I know your pain, I have RA. At one time it was so bad I was lucky to get a couple of hours sleep without being awakened by the pain. I literally crawled down steps because I couldn't walk down them. I still went to WDW though. I had so much fun I just put up with the pain. But everyone is different so I would rent a cart and to hell with those that complain about line jumping.

Upvote 0

RonAnnArbor

As someone who also has RA, not as bad as yours though, I just pretty much take it easy, and as a season passholder, I can go back whenever I want and do whatever I want and remember I DONT need to do everything on every trip....that being said, if I had increased mobility issues I would not hesitate one iota about renting a motorized scooter and doing all the same things. Don't overdo it by trying to extend comfortable walking limits -- just rent the scooter.

Upvote 0

HauntedMansionFLA

Hi: I have a severe form of fibromyalgia which is called a "malignant form of fms for which nothing helps and will only get worse". Stated by my rheumatologist. Whew! Needless to say, I start out in pain and it gets pretty unbearable by noon. I go back to the resort and rest. Then out to another park or DTD, or just to explore our resort for a very short while. I rest a lot while at the parks and take my time.
I was just wondering what others do to help them with all the walking, rushing, etc. It is pretty tiring and painful just to walk from the bus to park entrance. Thanks1
I work at our hospital with physical therapist and I've been told that exercise is the best thing fibro. Also, you can unweight yourself in the resort pool using some pool noodles.

Upvote 0

Minnesota disney fan

Original Poster
I work at our hospital with physical therapist and I've been told that exercise is the best thing fibro. Also, you can unweight yourself in the resort pool using some pool noodles.

Thanks, Darth, I do hatha yoga, walk on a treadmill. I tried water aroebics, a gentle kind, and still had severe pain flare up after that. I was bummed out cause I thought that water exercise would work.

Upvote 0

HauntedMansionFLA

Also, build up with cardio before going to WDW. Talk to your doctor about aquatic therapy and see if it's offered where you live. It takes 60 to 70 percent of your body weight off of you to be able to exercise and get stronger. The patients with fibro swear by it.

Upvote 0

HauntedMansionFLA

Re
Thanks, Darth, I do hatha yoga, walk on a treadmill. I tried water aroebics, a gentle kind, and still had severe pain flare up after that. I was bummed out cause I thought that water exercise would work.
remember, your doing 60% to 70% more than what you think your doing. Try gentle walking in the pool ( forward, backwards and sideways ) try aquatic therapy - they will teach what you should do.

Upvote 0

ShareBDwithMickey

I too have both Fibromyalgia & arthritis & for many years struggled on without using a scooter, but during our last two trips I bit the bullet & agreed to get one & it was the best thing every.

I had so much more fun, did so much more & importantly so did my husband. It wasn't until then that I realised how much I was curtailing his enjoyment because I felt I didn't want people looking at me in "that" way.

Not only that but I was getting over tired, far too sore & using far too much pain relief to really enjoy everything.

Getting the scooter allowed me to slow down, spend the whole day in the parks & enjoy the occassion drink, something I couldn't do when using the strong pain killers.

I still walked at times, & enjoyed using both the pools & the water parks & I played mini golf. Theres nothing that says you can't park it up & have a gentle walk round for a bit.

Stuff what others think, lifes too short to reduce our enjoyment just because we are worried that someone else might think we are trying to gain some advantage over them by using a scooter when in their opinion we obviosly don't need one! Thats their problem not mine & I'm not going to waste time worrying what they think as I'll be having too much fun.

My recommendation is get the scooter & enjoy your trip to the max.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

Yea, I know, but I am interested in other ways to help. I was one of those skeptical people who thought a lot of people scammed the system and now when I could benefit from one, I am hesitant. So, wondering what other peoples with fms do to help?

Try the other ways, but don't balk at using a scooter if it will help, and do it with your head held high.

Upvote 0

Disneykings

I have suffered with FMS for years and as a few people have mentioned above, increasing gentle exercise over the past two years has really helped for me. I started with very short walks as even walking around a supermarket was agony. As an ex-swimming teacher I wouldn't suggest water aerobics but gentle swimming is excellent. Breast stroke can sometimes be painful but front or back stroke is perfect. We have visited Disneyland Paris four times and while I know its smaller than WDW, we have only had a few issues. Lots of rest stops. Our first WDW trip in October 2015 will be a huge test but I am walking daily and swimming when I can in preparation. Plus my exercise bike helps, I know when its time to give up . Plus being at home your not stuck somewhere in pain. Use meal breaks as a rest and don't be afraid to sit out queues if it gets to much. Good Luck, hope you have an amazing trip.

Upvote 0

When you talk about scamming the system, I assume you mean jumping to the front of the line because you're in a scooter. Just because you're in one doesn't mean you have to jump the line. Went with my wife when she was 25 weeks pregnant with twins (so about the size of full-term singleton pregnancy) and we took a wheelchair, precisely so that we (I) could do as much as we (I) wanted. We were waiting in the lines for Pirates and a few people were telling us we should jump to the front; we simply said we were ok.

We were in a manual wheelchair, so getting through some of the lines may be tougher in a powered scooter (tight turns, etc), but maybe you could go in the handicap entrance and just wait for your family to make it through the line so you're not really skipping.

Upvote 0

Minnesota disney fan

Original Poster
I too have both Fibromyalgia & arthritis & for many years struggled on without using a scooter, but during our last two trips I bit the bullet & agreed to get one & it was the best thing every.

I had so much more fun, did so much more & importantly so did my husband. It wasn't until then that I realised how much I was curtailing his enjoyment because I felt I didn't want people looking at me in "that" way.

Not only that but I was getting over tired, far too sore & using far too much pain relief to really enjoy everything.

Getting the scooter allowed me to slow down, spend the whole day in the parks & enjoy the occassion drink, something I couldn't do when using the strong pain killers.

I still walked at times, & enjoyed using both the pools & the water parks & I played mini golf. Theres nothing that says you can't park it up & have a gentle walk round for a bit.

Stuff what others think, lifes too short to reduce our enjoyment just because we are worried that someone else might think we are trying to gain some advantage over them by using a scooter when in their opinion we obviosly don't need one! Thats their problem not mine & I'm not going to waste time worrying what they think as I'll be having too much fun.

My recommendation is get the scooter & enjoy your trip to the max.

Thank you so much for this post. You have no idea how much I appreciate your comments. You hit the nail right on the head.. I even wondered if I would be glued to the cart even if I felt good enough to play mini golf or walk a little. Your comments freed me and helped enormously:)

Upvote 0

Minnesota disney fan

Original Poster
I have suffered with FMS for years and as a few people have mentioned above, increasing gentle exercise over the past two years has really helped for me. I started with very short walks as even walking around a supermarket was agony. As an ex-swimming teacher I wouldn't suggest water aerobics but gentle swimming is excellent. Breast stroke can sometimes be painful but front or back stroke is perfect. We have visited Disneyland Paris four times and while I know its smaller than WDW, we have only had a few issues. Lots of rest stops. Our first WDW trip in October 2015 will be a huge test but I am walking daily and swimming when I can in preparation. Plus my exercise bike helps, I know when its time to give up . Plus being at home your not stuck somewhere in pain. Use meal breaks as a rest and don't be afraid to sit out queues if it gets to much. Good Luck, hope you have an amazing trip.

Thank you disneykings! I took a water aerobics class at the urging of a friend that said it was gentle and easy! Whoa! I honestly couldn't move for 2 weeks - lots of severe pain. So, that didn't work. I do think if I just swim gently it would help. I started a weight loss program 2 years ago so I could get in shape for WDW. I've lost 15#'s slowly, and feel much better with the weight off. I also am trying to get into "Disney" shape for those of us who have arthritis/fms. I have increased my walks, use treadmill, garden, and gradually getting my stamina up. Even with all that, I was not really able to keep the fibro at bay. So that's why I asked the original question, hopefully without a scooter. But it seems that a lot of people love them so will give it a try this fall!

Upvote 0

LdyApxr

Two years in a row, I had to rent a wheelchair at the Grand Californian. I am only 46 now and do not look unhealthy but the day before our trip in 2012, I severely sprained my ankle while at the fair with my younger son(showing our alpacas) and a severe sprain is worse than a clean break any day but we went and rented a chair for $10/day The only issue being that my husband is NOT a good wheelchair driver LOL. The next year, I did the same thing, same ankle. stepping out of the car that had picked up up at the airport(Yukon) and down I went. Xrays again, no break, all week in a wheelchair. I got a lot of looks but honestly, I knew I was injured and if people want to judge me(mind you the looks were not cast members, just strangers) then they could. I hope you can find a way to make it work and just know that you are not a scammer and those people suck. LOL

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom